Civilization 4 Complete Edition Issues

M1Burns

Chieftain
Hello to all, I'm relatively new at this site, and as of Christmas I purchased Civ 4 Complete Edition to get all the expasion packs. This post is bit quite lengthy and technical at best, so whoever has the patience, expertise, and the compassion, may my sincere thanks be bestowed upon you. ;)

Lately, I've been having some fustrating issues with patching and installing mods with the Complete Edition, particularly with Beyond the Sword. The patch that I've been trying to install, particularly the 3.19 patch, isn't working right. I've downloaded the patch from a website (Probably Gamefront), but after running the setup, it does nothing. No installment progress, etc... I just doesn't go nor install the necessary patch for online play or some mods. :confused:

I heard that that the Complete Edition has all the patches before the 3.19 patch, so that could be out of the question.

Another thing, I've been searching mods and mod-mods to supplement my game experience. I installed Star Trek and Final Frontier Plus (I'm an avid Sci-Fi fan.) onto my game, but for the latter, (Final Frontier Plus) the error says

"unable to execute file: /Civ4BeyondSword.exe
CreateProcess failed; code 2
The system cannot find the file specified" :scan:

OK, I have no idea how to counter this problem, so I'm totally lost for this one. The Star Trek mod (mod-mod for Final Frontier) just crashes upon loading. :mad:

Besides these problems, I've played my civilization games on BtS for quite some time. The games run smoothly, seems nothing wrong or out of place. But for the errors and problems, my knowledge for the latter is out of the blue for me. :confused:

If anyone can help me on addressing these issues, I would be very much appreciated for any assistance. :)

I recently installed Civ 4 Complete Edition on Windows 7, patched it to BTS 3.19, and installed Final Frontier Plus. Everything works fine. I purchased it as a disc from Target. So, for starters, two questions: Are you using a disc or a download version? Which OS are you using?

If you are using a download version, the regular patch won't work. You'll need the patch for that from the download site. If you are using the disc version, something probably did not install correctly, assuming that you are using Windows 7 or XP. If using Windows 8, there have been many reports of problems and solutions in the Civ4 - Technical Support forum. For Windows 7, there is a nice how-to install thread stickied at the top of the Tech forum by JKwitti.

If you have not already tried this and you are using Windows 7, right click on the program file and allow it to run with administrative privileges, same thing for the mods. Often this is all that is needed to fix the problem.

Although I could be wrong, I think that Final Frontier Plus requires 3.19, so if you have not been able to patch to 3.19 that would be why FFP does not run. (One of the authors, God-Emperor, frequents these forums so he'll probably clear that up.)

When I did my install, I kept in mind the problems that I had seen people reporting with Windows 7. My solution to this was not to allow the disc install program to install CIV in the Program folder, since that is where all the restrictions apply. Instead, I created a top folder inside my user folder called "Applications". I installed all of my CIV programs and mods there. If all else fails, you could uninstall and try that. If you do uninstall, use the uninstall program, don't do it manually or invisible files will remain to screw up the new install.

Although I could be wrong, I think that Final Frontier Plus requires 3.19, so if you have not been able to patch to 3.19 that would be why FFP does not run. (One of the authors, God-Emperor, frequents these forums so he'll probably clear that up.)

Correct, FFP requires 3.19.

For the copy, I purchased it as a disc, not a download, from Wal-Mart. Second, my OS is Windows Vista. ;)

I don't use Windows 7, and definitely not Windows 8. I perfer Vista over most OS (Personal reference.)

I'm not familiar with Vista, so I cannot comment on that but rereading your OP, I see that nothing happens when you run the patch. Perhaps the patch download is damaged. I'd try downloading it again, from a different site just to be sure the original isn't damaged. If you go to the "Patch and Update" link on the Civ4 drop down menu at the top of this page, there is a link to multiple mirror sites for the 3.19 patch there.

I have already downloaded Patch 3.19 from a variety of sources from GameFront, MediaFire, SourceForge, etc... In advance, I also ran the patch in administrator mode, while having the firewall off, and scoured the website for similar problems, but I'm making very little progress at all...

You need to install the 3.17e patch first. Google for that one. Civ complete comes with a 3.17 patch that's somehow incompatible with the 3.19 installer.

Okay, but how do I know which patch 3.17 to download that is compatible to the patch 3.19? :confused:

3.17e...

It used to be downloadable from the Firaxis website, but it seems it's no longer there. At least I couldn't find it today. :confused:

OK, I get what you said about Patch 3.17e. I did more browsing about people who had the same problems as me. Seems the 3.17 patch wasn't in it's complete stage when Civ 4 Complete Edition came out. So thats why the 3.19 patch didn't install correctly. Man, this problem is driving me nuts to the brim. So, since the Firaxis website does not have the patch 3.17e dowload available, is there any second options?

Thanks for the help vincentz, but I actually discovered this solution just by running the patch 3.17 installer, complete it, and run the patch 3.19, complete it. Now that BtS is up to date, I have to tackle another problem after installing Final Front Plus onto my computer. The error I encountered was:

"Mods\Final Frontier Plus \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring".

Okay, so I tried moving into the MODS folder in Beyond the Sword, and after loading halfway through I encounter another error,

"GFC Error: failed to initalize the primary control theme"

Does anyone know I did wrong? Thanks! :scan:

PS, for those who posted very helpful advice and tips, Thank you so much for your time! I couldn't figured it without you guys, :D

Did you follow the directions for installing Final Front Plus that come with the mod? It needs to be installed in the same Mods directory where the original Final Frontier is located. I installed it following those directions, after updating Complete to 3.19, and it works fine.

I'm new here and I am having trouble downloading new civ mods. I added both 3.17 and 3.19 that were mentioned earlier in this thread. When I try to download the mods, I get this error:

C\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Temp\latveria-1.rar

Application not found

I tried to download the civ mods from this website and that is the result I get. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I think we need a bit more info. I'm not sure I follow the issue. Your "error message" doesn't sound like an error message nor does it provide any info to the error.

Are you having an issue downloading a mod or installing a mod. Huge difference in terminology there.. Downloading should not be an issue unless the download source is inactive/dormant or something. Otherwise, that would be more of an issue with your PC.

If you are having issues installing a mod then that is different. We need more info as to the mod your installing, machine/OS, etc.

Oh..if you are simply having an issue extracting the mod file, then you need to download Winrar (google it). Install it, then right click on the file and choose "extract".

Top Bottom