Into a New Century

crake

Chieftain
This is a personal project of mine I've been working on for the better half of the year, and at this point in its development I feel it has reached the level of necessary polish and fine-tuning to meet "CivFanatics standards". In Into a New Century, you take hold of the reigns of a nation at the dawn of the 20th century - rich, poor, powerful, weak, empires, colonies - no matter who you choose, great attempts have been made to preserve historical accuracy (see the network of alliances that eventually devolve into full scale world war, uniquely named units, accurate distribution of world religions based on compiled data, proper distribution of natural resources based on compiled data, geographic features, relative national economic strength etc etc.) - but not at the expense of gameplay. I hope the CFC community enjoys the scenario as much as I enjoyed making it!

Read on for preview images, better descriptions, and download links.

Into a New Century v1.20 Public Release
8/14/2014

Now available on Steam and the CFC database!

INTRODUCTION
Take control and lead a nation of your choosing into the early 20th century and beyond! Featuring an accurate, enjoyable historical representation of the world in 1904 A.D., realistic time progression, uniquely named and powered historical units, unique game rules, functioning religion, and a beautiful hand-crafted 128x80 map! All significant powers of the time are represented - along with a few others. Choose and lead your nation into glory - can your nation brave the wonders and horrors alike of the twentieth century? Can your nation remain steadfast against the juggernauts of history? Can your nation stand the test of time?

REQUIREMENTS
G&K, BNW, Inca/Spain DLC, and Korea DLC are required. Kind of. See the FAQ for more details.

INSTALLATION
Copy the .civ5map file from the mod folder to your game maps directory. See FAQ contained within packed "readme.txt" file for a step-by-step walkthrough.

RECOMMENDED MODS
These lightweight supplemental mods are not required to run the scenario, however I fully believe they hold the capabilities to improve your end user experience. They have been listed in full below.

1) Pontoon Bridges - loading this mod will result in pontoon bridges providing "canal" functionality, as well as the appearance of several preplaced bridges representing the major canals of the time.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=158739017

2) R.E.D. Modpack - loading this mod will result in relatively historical accurate unit graphics.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=76153116

IMAGES (click to view)
Spoiler :

DOWNLOAD
Into a New Century v1.20
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23136

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=261874069

KNOWN ISSUES
-No known issues.

CONFLICTS
-No known conflicts.

Abridged FAQ
See README.txt for the full version.

Q: What exactly do you mean when you say I "officially" need [insert dlc here]?
A: "Officially" as in "The mod should theoretically crash on load without the DLC but a few people have said it works fine without (with missing civilizations being replaced) and nobody has said otherwise so just to be on the safe side I tell people they need it anyway because when people report bugs there's one less possible point of failure to deal with and that even then I've been very busy lately and can't even really promise I can help in the first place. Officially.

Q: Why isn't Monaco / Luxembourg / Montenegro / [insert nation that is relatively unimportant in historical 20th century global affairs here] represented on the scenario map?
A: Space reasons, mostly. Also because I don't trust Montenegrins. I don't want to talk about it.

Q: Why are some cities seemingly not placed where they should be? (e.g. Athens being located in Peloponnia instead of Attica)
A: Because it's better for gameplay, and also because I derive a sick sort of joy from drinking the delicious tears of geography majors. Full (actual, non-substance abuse rage-induced) answer in the readme.

Q; Will you ever enable (scientific/diplomatic/cultural/time/custom type victories?)
A: The answer varies, but yes, probably sometime soon?. See readme for full answer.

Q: Why does my game keep crashing?
A: Maybe it's your computer, maybe it's my mod. Check to make sure you meet the requirements and if so, file a bug report.

SPECIAL THANKS
Craig_Sutter - religion code
Barbarian_King - modified code
mr.Karas - timescale xml
Ninakoru - warmonger hate values xml
Poizen Jam - extensive alpha/beta testing & feedback
Paco - extensive beta testing & feedback

something is wrong with the religion advisor or the religion buttons at all. when i want to enter the advsior the game crashes. some religion buttons are screwd as well. any ideas to fix this?
anyway, sadly i couldnt play at least one round but what i saw so far was quiet impressive. hope u'll fix this bug. looking foward to this.

cheers, nudden

Hi people, i liked this mod and downloaded, but unfortunantly when i click next turn game crashes, pls help

I like this scenario, my only complaint would be not enough countries. Maybe start something like this in the early 1950's. It'd be nice to have India and Egypt as playable nations!

I like your mod very much, but when I play your mod I often feel the city appearance is not historically accurate, there are skyscrapers and many digital age buildings but the time is 1900.
I want ask is there a way to make the industrial-era cities looks like the older era, for example, no tall skyscrapers?

I don' t know much about modding, so could you tell me which file should I change?
Thanks!

Brazil:

- There is a typo; the city is called Manaus, not "Manuas"

- Palmas is didn't exist before 1989; like Brasilia, it was planned and build from the ground up fast, to be the capital of its state, Tocantins. For that spot, I suggest you use either Goiania, capital of Goiás, or Belém, capital of Pará. Neither is exactly there, but they existed at the time...

- If "Baurau" is meant to be the - relatively small - city if Bauru [which is in the state of São Paulo]... please don't... for that spot I strongly suggest Cuiabá, capital of Mato Grosso.

- Aracaju is also kinda new, plus coastal and much more to the northest, close to where Recife is; thus, for that spot, I guess Belo Horizonte [bigger and way older] can do the trick better.

Sadly this doesn't seem to work anymore. The leaders and Civs are from G&K, meaning you got Incas with Pachacuti etc., which messes up the rest of the game too.

edit: Nevermind, found a fix for this.
edit2: ...well, almost. Every Civ name is still from vanilla/addons, but once you're in the game, it shows as the correct one which should be in the scenario. All the city state capital names show as monstrous "TXT_KEY_CITYSTATECAPITAL blabla" on the map though. The Moroccan capital is Zurich and Belgium is Kuala Lumpur...

Top Bottom