The Community Deity Game #12 - Byzantium

That may be the first time I've heard of someone using Scouts like that.

I first conceived of it on the Netherlands DCL (#14?). I did it again on on the Portugal one (#40ish). It's very effective, since if the land is not great there aren't too many spots. The expansion is therefore the #1 priority.

Regarding waiting on Goodie huts: You were probably one of those kids who never opened their Xmas presents early, weren't you?

For most of my Xmases, my family went skiing, so we had to wait until we got back to open them. So you might be right... :D

But seriously, this is something I learned from another player - probably Manpanzee or IronFighterXXX.

Each cap conquered before Compass, 3 points each. ‡ - Needs land bridge to get them all!
Each cap conquered before Navigation, 2 points each. ‡ - Very possible with proper tech-path.
I did not mean for the open-ended scoring with B/C/D to imply that more than one AI is accessible without crossing an ocean. I modified OP to make this explicit.

Yes, only one cap is available to B. I knew that when I posted, but I did not want to give up that detail.

Yes, avoiding Navigation after Astronomy does provide more flexibility for C. But I am not sure I would characterize that as “very possible”. More like just barely remotely possible!
Spoiler best case scoring with B/C/D, mentioning geography :
B for the neighbor, 3 points. C is a fall back applicable only to the neighbor, so adds nothing for a top performer.

A great player might take out the two northern caps with frigates, but none of the other four caps (across the ocean) are coastal. So that is just 2 points available for D.
Full marks for the A/E/F/G achievements is 12 points. And B/C/D has just 5 points available, not 21 points! A 100% score on this map is 17 points.

@Consentient:

Did you get Optics in a ruin? I though only Ancient-era techs was possible

Sorry, I meant Sailing.

- - - - - - - -

Update: T262 Victory

Spoiler :
Beelined Navigation, then Electronics. At some point, someone started giving me Pracinhas for city captures, to replace the Knights I had been using up to that point! A long slog, very difficult game with long wars against spam. Had to spam units and sell science buildings to push the economy. Some people will be very happy that I am going to revise my rating for Dromons, since they are actually better if you don't use them for city captures but just for future Frigates.

Nice map, and as said before, the hardest challenge will be getting in Dido's face from the word go and preventing her from getting proper footing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 17.48.24.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 17.48.24.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 228
vicious!

Since you didn't want to feature on the finishers for the maps you created, I reckon it's only fair that you feature now :)

Wow, nice game! So fast!

How many achievement points?

Some people will be very happy that I am going to revise my rating for Dromons...
Truth be told, that was a significant part of my motivation for proposing Byzantium! You were right though, that the first map I sent you and ST was no good!

...the hardest challenge will be getting in [snip]'s face from the word go
I did that -- and then nothing. So much I cannot figure out!

I did not mean for the open-ended scoring with B/C/D to imply that more than one AI is accessible without crossing an ocean. I modified OP to make this explicit.

Yes, only one cap is available to B. I knew that when I posted, but I did not want to give up that detail.

Yes, avoiding Navigation after Astronomy does provide more flexibility for C. But I am not sure I would characterize that as “very possible”. More like just barely remotely possible!
Spoiler best case scoring with B/C/D, mentioning geography :
B for the neighbor, 3 points. C is a fall back applicable only to the neighbor, so adds nothing for a top performer.

A great player might take out the two northern caps with frigates, but none of the other four caps (across the ocean) are coastal. So that is just 2 points available for D.
Full marks for the A/E/F/G achievements is 12 points. And B/C/D has just 5 points available, not 21 points! A 100% score on this map is 17 points.

Well thanks for bursting my bubble... I was looking forward to getting 31 points on this map sometime next year when I finally had time to finish it after 50 tries.

Sorry, I meant Sailing.

- - - - - - - -

Spoiler :
Beelined Navigation, then Electronics. At some point, someone started giving me Pracinhas for city captures, to replace the Knights I had been using up to that point! A long slog, very difficult game with long wars against spam. Had to spam units and sell science buildings to push the economy. Some people will be very happy that I am going to revise my rating for Dromons, since they are actually better if you don't use them for city captures but just for future Frigates.

Nice map, and as said before, the hardest challenge will be getting in Dido's face from the word go and preventing her from getting proper footing.

Wow. Congrats, as a trophy you can take the reins back (not that it matters, May is filled out anyways and June will probably go quick too.). So how many points did you end up getting?

Since you didn't want to feature on the finishers for the maps you created, I reckon it's only fair that you feature now :)

Nah, I really don't want to be on the chart. I just play for the challenge of winning.

I'm not saying I'm against the sharing of games. I enjoy reading about others' games and I'll share information if prompted, but most of the 'how' (for my games) is already covered in my Dom guide.

Admittedly, it is thin on the ground for water maps, but seriously, and I don't mean to seem like a douche saying this, water maps are much easier, and really it's all about beelining Navigation and Electronics, provided you don't have to fight a land battle first.

How many achievement points?

I wasn't really counting. I didn't take anything before Navigation, and I think I only took Carthage, London and Copenhagen before Electronics. I'm really not sure, but since I don't want to go on the chart, it doesn't matter.

You were right though, that the first map I sent you and ST was no good!

Hey, that's just my opinion. I don't like isolated maps. I like being able to wage war from T50ish through til whenever I finish. Other people might love them.

Congrats, as a trophy you can take the reins back (not that it matters, May is filled out anyways and June will probably go quick too.).

If you mean something about hosting, then no, not right now. :)

I didn't take anything before Navigation, and I think I only took Carthage, London and Copenhagen before Electronics.
Okay, three points then. Did you fill out Piety at all? Or use inquisitors for the RP?

I'm really not sure, but since I don't want to go on the chart, it doesn't matter.
Sure it matters, since filling out Piety is weaker for Dom than all the other uses of SP.

Nah, Full Tradition, Exploration 3, Autocracy til the end.

Nah, I really don't want to be on the chart. I just play for the challenge of winning.

I'm not saying I'm against the sharing of games. I enjoy reading about others' games and I'll share information if prompted, but most of the 'how' (for my games) is already covered in my Dom guide.

I don't see why you shouldn't be on the chart anyways, It's not like we have a million dollars riding on the winner or anything [pimp]

Admittedly, it is thin on the ground for water maps, but seriously, and I don't mean to seem like a douche saying this, water maps are much easier, and really it's all about beelining Navigation and Electronics, provided you don't have to fight a land battle first.

I figured that was common knowledge for everyone though. Water units are super OP and the AI has no idea how to use them properly. Nor defend against them properly.

If you mean something about hosting, then no, not right now. :)

Of course, someone has to be the conductor for this crazy train! Actually I think its going pretty good without a host. We just post in the CDG thread a few days before the map is due with an idea and achievements, we express our approval, and it appears like magic. The system works great as far as I am concerned.

Of course, someone has to be the conductor for this crazy train! Actually I think its going pretty good without a host. We just post in the CDG thread a few days before the map is due with an idea and achievements, we express our approval, and it appears like magic. The system works great as far as I am concerned.

Well, there always needs to be one or two "custodians" to keep everything going, and Stormy's job on updating the spreadsheet can't be easy (thank you). It's great that the community keeps it going, but having a conductor comes in handy from time to time.

Hi folks, I'm new to this series... looks like fun! What/where are the rules?

Hi folks, I'm new to this series... looks like fun! What/where are the rules?

I´m not really sure there are that many rules. You can just download the file and play. By digging around you´ll find all the 12 maps posted in this "Strategy & Tips" section.

Its not required, but its nice if you write a post about your game when its done. Doesn´t have to be an essay, up to each how comprehensive you write.

Its not a competition like e.g. the GotM or Hall of Fame, so there are no strict guidelines you have to comply.

There is also something called "CDG discussion thread", where you can post a general question if you want.

A warning: Several of the previous ones are much easier than this :)

I´m not really sure there are that many rules. You can just download the file and play. By digging around you´ll find all the 12 maps posted in this "Strategy & Tips" section.

Its not required, but its nice if you write a post about your game when its done. Doesn´t have to be an essay, up to each how comprehensive you write.

Its not a competition like e.g. the GotM or Hall of Fame, so there are no strict guidelines you have to comply.

There is also something called "CDG discussion thread", where you can post a general question if you want.

A warning: Several of the previous ones are much easier than this :)

The rules are simple:

1. Don't be negative.
2. If you want to create and submit a map, post about it in the CDG discussion thread. There is a list of available civs to claim, and you can post your achievement Ideas there too.
3. Be open to criticism of your ideas, and learn from them.
4. Post your win time and achievements earned in the subject, and provide some screenshots of how you achieved them because its fun to read for all of us.
5. Don't stress out too much about the rules.

Heard that this one is a challenging one with interesting points system, I decided to give it a try.

Starting position was not great and religion is a must for points, I chose liberty to go. monument-scout-granary-scout-shrine opening.

Stole 3 workers from Dido: had to delay her at all costs, and I just didn't have enough hammer to build workers by myself - also didn't see any nearby CS to get workers.

Used liberty settler to get uluru. Gpt was negative, and had to give up some science. Meeting CSs saved gold problem.

Spoiler :

There were lots of ruins around that were up for grabs after optics. One of them was 60 faith ruin, and I could get a religion t63.

Spoiler :

Happiness was a big problem. I barely could afford 4 cities - colosseum and circus maximus were must.

DoFed with Dido, but we all know that she loves to backstab... so I had to keep some army/navy. Slow growth, but reached education at t125.

Spoiler :

England got lots of wonders and entered renaissance 1st- sent a spy there and got astronomy t131.

Spoiler :

All cities have mosque + monastery. Pagoda was gone, and that hurt a lot.

Sending 4 units to swim across the ocean, and also getting one caravel. Really need to meet other civs to exchange lux to remain happy.

How did you get golden ages back to back?

Also, what did Dido go in terms of social policies? She picked Honor in my game and marched a little carpet of African forest elephants, CB's and swordsmen to my capital around t80. I thought it would be easy to defend, but units crossing mountains can actually be useful, for once. :lol:

Top Bottom