Which world wonders do you like ?

I really like Stonehenge early on, because you get priority religion choices and a really important GE point which lets you grab another important wonder and reduce the setback you suffered to build Stonehenge

I really like Stonehenge early on, because you get priority religion choices and a really important GE point which lets you grab another important wonder and reduce the setback you suffered to build Stonehenge

Stonehenge is a very mediocre wonder. You must sacrifice A LOT to gain an early wonder and the benefits of Stonehenge are very lackluster compared to the opportunity cost involved as well as the risk when building any wonder.

It's very easy to get that much faith from a pantheon or NW without the big cost or risk.

If I have desert, copper, gems, pearls, whine, incense, silver gold, salt, iron, quarries, or a natural wonder around I will rush a shrine and get a faith pantheon.

Now if you have none of these which is quite uncommon, Stonehenge may be worth going for.

It costs so much to get an early wonder and the risk is so great.

Oracle
Notre Dame
Sistine Chapel
Tower of Pisa (Though I rarely get it)
Forbidden Palace
Hubble

I like Archipelago maps, that means navies are important, and that means I like the Great Lighthouse. It also seems to be a wonder the AI doesn't go after much, so I actually get it done more often. The ability to move just a bit farther than one's pursuers means my ships can more often get back to "safe" territory, heal up or get promoted, and they can also hunt down prey with ease.

Because its effect is almost negligible. Increasing combat strength by 15% against cities doesn't really change the number of units you need to bring, or the outcome of a battle. Every once in a while it might provide the extra strength between a unit surviving or not, but frankly that's more dice-roll than anything.

If you actually want to go do some warmongering, just build an extra unit or two. I don't mind getting the Statue for free if I steal it off someone, but frankly it's just not worth the effort to build.

Well, I guess you have a point. So why not get the great wall which reduces enemy movement instead?

I do a lot of domination, and I like these underappreciated ones:

Pyramids - workers and improved tiles is nice early
Statue of Zeus - nice military improvement
Notre Dame - happiness boost always good mid-game

If I am going science, Hubble is a great help.

Given the right start, the Mausoleum of Hali isn't bad either. Cap with 1 marble + 2 stone, grab that plus the stone circles tenet, and you're dealing with some pretty freaking amazing tiles early (something like 2 food, 2 prod, 4 coin, and 2 faith). I only build it if I have 3+ marble/stone in the city, but it's worth it for that. Plus the extra gold for each GP is a nice unseen bonus later in the game too.

All of them, one of best parts of the game. Music (not voice) is beautiful, art is impressive. 3D technologies can't give that quality, not even close now. May be they could be higher definition.

In no particular order:

Pyramids, Oracle, Hubble, Petra, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Neuschwanstein, Sistine Chapel, any of the Ideology wonders

All of them, one of best parts of the game. Music (not voice) is beautiful, art is impressive. 3D technologies can't give that quality, not even close now. May be they could be higher definition.
I also wish they can be higher definition. Besides,it will be better if more of them can be displayed outside the cities, instead of being hid in the cities or even not show up. Just imagine, when you know your beloved wonders are standing besides your farms, trade posts, and so forth when you are skimming through the map., you will feel your hard work and long waiting are paid off instantly.

I also wish they can be higher definition. Besides,it will be better if more of them can be displayed outside the cities, instead of being hid in the cities or even not show up. Just imagine, when you know your beloved wonders are standing besides your farms, trade posts, and so forth when you are skimming through the map., you will feel your hard work and long waiting are paid off instantly.

Pretty sure they all appear on the map.

The problem when they appear out of cities is that they appearto love being in the water, especially the ancient ones. I guess that makes sense, Ancient wonders are just these ruins under water, but that's where they start so...

Stonehenge is a very mediocre wonder. You must sacrifice A LOT to gain an early wonder and the benefits of Stonehenge are very lackluster compared to the opportunity cost involved as well as the risk when building any wonder.

It's very easy to get that much faith from a pantheon or NW without the big cost or risk.

If I have desert, copper, gems, pearls, whine, incense, silver gold, salt, iron, quarries, or a natural wonder around I will rush a shrine and get a faith pantheon.

Now if you have none of these which is quite uncommon, Stonehenge may be worth going for.

It costs so much to get an early wonder and the risk is so great.

Meh, I don't tend to notice much of a setback

Design-wise, my favorite wonder is The Great Wall. The graphics look really cool (even though it does weird things sometimes), and it is great at accomplishing its goal : making invasion of that country very unappealing.

I agree, although I think I prefer its implementation in Civ4. Imagine how useful the ability to keep pillaging barbs out of your territory in Civ 5 would be. Civ 5's great wall is fine and all, but I almost never build it sans muliplayer and it usually just ends up being annoying.

I also think the Great Wall looks really cool.besides, it can slow down the movement of the enemies which is quite beneficial in the early game. Too bad it can not expand to the new founded cities or the newly captured ones.

I guess I should post some of my favorites. I like most wonders in passing, but I'll only single out a couple.

I really like Borobudur for its ability to immediately spread your religion over a HUGE area. Using 3 missionaries strategically can spread your religion so far and fast at that time in the game that rival religions are totally stifled by it. They may assert themselves later, but for a while that area is yours.

I like Forbidden Palace: 10% less unhappiness is big, and the fact that it gives you the power to be a dominant force in world politics for a long time is pretty damn good too.

:mischief: In no particular order: Ankor Wat, Geat Mosque of D'jenne, the Great Firewall :mischief:
How could you forget the mighty Red Fort!

Seriously though; Neuschwanstein, Machu Picchu (I like the impossible to spell ones), Forbidden Palace, Petra assuming a nice location, and Pisa and Porcelain Tower of course.

I've weaned myself off of the GL and (mostly) Stonehenge... 5 faith and GE points is just too tempting sometimes ;)

Top Bottom