Has anyone ever had their trade embargoed?

nokmirt

Emperor
In my current game I defeated the Zulu from the game, but in a last gesture of defiance, they made a proposal to embargo my trade. It passed through the world congress, bringing my economy to a grinding halt. This on the eve of my planned war with the Iroquois to rid them from my continent. Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else? I'd like to discuss some ways to make money in a situation like this. Thanks for sharing any stories or tips. :)

Lol. You won the battle but seems Zulu won the War :D

About your question, haven't heard something like that nor happened to me before. But definitely interesting.

It happened to me a lot when I'm going to war. There are trade routes to CS. It's less but it can allow you enough gold.

It happens almost every time when i'm leading into a mp game...+33% maintenance units too :D

I did not know I could trade with CSs. Right now I am taking over the Iroquois empire and losing only marginal gold so far.

I was in a game where I was embargoed as well as the City States. It was incredibly annoying as at that point I was completely isolated. I ended up having to use spies and bribes to gain enough delegates to reverse both.

Of course, its not that rare.

Well, a smart person would follow a successful embargo of someone they don't like on the next vote proposing to embargo the city states; but the AIs not that smart.

I've seen proposals to embargo me, but have always been able to vote them down. It's somewhat more common for AI to propose banning a luxury I'm benefiting from.

I can't trade with CSs either. In the meantime, I am ok just building trading posts everywhere I can. Most captured cities are focused to gold. After a lengthy war with the Iroquois, I almost have control of my continent.

Happened to me in my last game as America where I was going for a domination victory. People started to realize what was happening after I took my 5th capital.

I just rerouted the trade caravans to city states - took gunboat diplomacy and made sure no one embargoed city states.

Happened to me too. I was on easy level and because my GPT revenue was like 80% internal trade from cities and markets etc it didnt make much of a difference to me. My point is if international trade routes are like 50% of your revenue then you should seriously reconsider the consiquences before going to war with others. But if international trade routes are like 20% or less that your annual GPT then who cares if you get an embargo?

I thnik the only "fast" exit from such a situation is more war, more puppet cities....

I am trying a special version of the game which was designed a long time ago by Buzzdowan. Called "Feed the Beast" Now to get my continent in order to complete phase 1, I have to conquer or raze an Ethiopian city and a Spanish one. I am already allied with all CSs on my continent. At the moment I am the host of the World Congress, and I am trying to repeal the trade embargo against me. Hopefully all goes well. :)

Here is the link if you are interested in Feed the Beast. I have to say it is fun with BNW, it's a long game though. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11524704&postcount=1

Some pics of my embargo game.

Spoiler :

I am still embargoed making 151 gpt.

Spoiler :

I've almost got embargoed several times but never got embargoed for real.
My delegates usually go nuts whenever they see Embargo against me come up in UN. That and several AIs that I'm trading with tend to go nay on embargos against me cuz they'll miss the gpt they're making from my trade ships.

Even when i'm remorseless warmonger.... well I don't kill the guys I trade with so there's that.
I wonder if the AIs noticed if the embargo go through and the trade routes close down which will only make me start to eye several of my neighbors which I was trading with for lebensraum.. especially if they didn't contribute a single nay. :lol:

I used it it's a good map script.

A few things I've found in a Dom Victory game, is 1) ALWAYS trade with city-states even if you are not embargoed, as this allows for you to adapt your civ to the slightly lesser gold, try Germany if you want more gold from city-states(Hanse Building). 2) if embargoed, switch your more developed cities to Gold Focus / Wealth Production, obvious choice, increases gold by an absolute ****ton. 3) try trading Lux Resources(Ivory, Copper, etc etc) for 5 - 7 gpt, a lot of civs will beg for your Lux sources if you have plenty.

A few things I've found in a Dom Victory game, is 1) ALWAYS trade with city-states even if you are not embargoed, as this allows for you to adapt your civ to the slightly lesser gold, try Germany if you want more gold from city-states(Hanse Building). 2) if embargoed, switch your more developed cities to Gold Focus / Wealth Production, obvious choice, increases gold by an absolute ****ton. 3) try trading Lux Resources(Ivory, Copper, etc etc) for 5 - 7 gpt, a lot of civs will beg for your Lux sources if you have plenty.

I've done all of that and I sell extra resources for 3 gpt. They all hate me its a dom culture game. I think I may lose to Indonesia's culture, but I'll play to the end.

I've done all of that and I sell extra resources for 3 gpt. They all hate me its a dom culture game. I think I may lose to Indonesia's culture, but I'll play to the end.

Try taking a city or two from indonesia?
And bring their great works to your lands?

Ive had this happen. Ive also been blockaded by the AI in my one trading costal city. Trade either with CSs, run merchants, or pick commerce. better still ensure you have enough in the way of CS allies to ensure you do not get embargoed :)

Top Bottom