Pitboss on a *server*?

flyx

Chieftain
Hi folks!

I want to play a long-term Civ game, and I want it to run on my server. Now most descriptions for setting that up start with “install stuff into Steam”, which leaves me wondering, do people know what a server is? There is no desktop, no GUI of any kind, shell only. How should I install/launch Steam there?

I know that some suggest GMR, but as I already have a server with hardware that should really meet the requirements, so I don't see why I shouldn't use it. Are there best practices for running Civ V on a real server? Do I need a VM with a GUI (I'll probably need a VM anyway unless Civ V runs on FreeBSD, which I doubt)? If so, does the Pitboss mode need graphics? My server doesn't really have much graphics hardware.

Pitboss in Civ5 is still a windows program, it's basically Civ5 lite. It's not a true server the way you are thinking. You have to run it on a windows machine and have steam installed etc.

CS

Um, it's available for OSX and Linux as well, so it is definitely not only a Windows program.

I'm currently trying to setup a VM on my server with a gui, connect to it with VNC, install Civ there and then run it in Pitboss mode. As long as the Pitboss server does not need to display complex graphics, that should probably work…

Edit: Okay, Civ V runs on Linux, but Civ V SDK does not. I guess I have to build a Windows VM then…

Civ5 has Mac and Linux versions, but I've never heard of pitboss running on anything but the windows version.

CS

Top Bottom