War is broken? BNW

Hey @Gamewizard and @Sagax: Unfortunately he was the only one on my continent.
"Unfortunately"? That's like the best day ever! :) Go for full genocide without consequences and have some triremes stationed in your coastal city. As soon as Shaka is no more, go for all-out exploration of the new lands.

You may consider rerolling the game just for practice - this time with Construction rush.

^^I saved the early game, so I'll definitely be playing it and trying different strategies. I am landlocked, but once I take out one of Shaka's cities, I will have a coastal one :)

I am going to open a can of you know what on him.

It was definitely frustrating, but fun also. I'm sure you know what I mean.

^^I was trying to be careful with them, especially since I had very highly promoted units. I wasn't wasting them foolishly. I successfully defended against the first wave, it's the second one that messed me up. And that wave came from a different direction.

It was well played by the AI. And there's only so much you can do when your being attacked by 7 or 8 impi units as well as several crossbowmen, and trebauchets.

I was able to keep my highly-promoted units alive and mainly wasted money on rush-buying units to hold off the attack and be aggressive here and there. And my city location was not the greatest so far as terrain and defense.

It was fun, I will admit that.

playing for no casualties is a loser's game and not really possible at times without reloading. Good job on surviving, the Zulu impi are super-OP for their time period, waves of them get massive flanking bonuses and cover promotions from the special Ikanda barracks.

So is "war broken on civ5 bnw" I remember reading this here on the forums.. but it seems to me like the computer still doesn't know how to wage war in fact their morons at it

I'll give you a example.. in my recent venice game.. I was invading with a semi-inferior army (they have ww2 infantry) and I've only got mainly got experienced machine gunners..

But the AI.. hides all the units in their territory/by their cities and doesn't meet me on the battlefield.. (nor spam it!) seems like there just going to let me "take" their cities.. it's quite boring..

So am I understanding right that the code/programming in "gods & kings" is still better than BNW for war?

So if war is broken what can I do.. mods?

Should I choose certain civ's.. or do I just need to go back a expansion/gods & kings.. I'm a deity level player I like a challenge.. but civ5's AI.. is no challenge when it's all jury-rigged for anything but war, yes?

If you really want a challenge, play as Venice on a Pangaea map with High sea level. Manually put in the Huns, Mongolia, Assyria, the Zulu, the Aztecs, Greece, and Siam for the AI. That's all I've got for advice.

If you really want a challenge, play as Venice on a Pangaea map with High sea level. Manually put in the Huns, Mongolia, Assyria, the Zulu, the Aztecs, Greece, and Siam for the AI. That's all I've got for advice.
Yah I thought venice would be a challenge that's why I tried them in my last game.. the fact I couldn't build additional city's or didn't want to buy "city-states" didn't matter much.. :mischief:

But the reason why your saying this is a challenge.. because these are just tough water based civ's? or because their the toughest in general?

And I take it a Pangaea is tough maybe cause you don't have a lot of area for your army.. like 2 slots/spots and or you have to have lots of boats?

I think Venice can trade and bribe off its immediate two neighbors. The others will slaughter each other. Venice can realistically become the science and growth leader provided he can buy off Attila and Genghis to dogpile on Alex.

Yah I thought venice would be a challenge that's why I tried them in my last game.. the fact I couldn't build additional city's or didn't want to buy "city-states" didn't matter much.. :mischief:

But the reason why your saying this is a challenge.. because these are just tough water based civ's? or because their the toughest in general?

And I take it a Pangaea is tough maybe cause you don't have a lot of area for your army.. like 2 slots/spots and or you have to have lots of boats?

My reasoning was:

Pangaea tends to promote warfare because everyone knows everyone else from an earlier point in the game (no need to wait for Caravels to cross the ocean to meet the rest of the civs), and the high sea level would give the civs less room to expand and cause them to be more likely to build cities on you doorstep and generate "close borders" animosity.

Venice would mean you can't build additional cities around your capital and settle at any strategic choke points. You'd be stuck with either Venice alone or the luck of the draw as to where the CSs are located . . . or from conquering the AI cities . . . which leads to:

Huns, Mongolia, Assyria, the Zulu, the Aztecs are highly warmongering civs that have strong early-mid game units and are geared toward conquest. Greece and Siam are 2 civs that will DOW you at the drop of a hat and will have their CS buddies tag along to harass you as well. Unless you can take the CSs early with GMoVs, but that's better to do later in the game when they've build up a large military for you to commandeer - but good luck getting your GMoV into CS territory when all the CSs are allied with Greece and Siam and they're both at war with you.

But I've never played Diety - or tried this particular setup - so I can't say for sure that it'll be too hard. Maybe try it as Brazil instead (late game UU, UI that only helps with CV, propensity for neutered jungle start) and hope that Monty isn't your closest neighbor.

War does not seem broken on my first try back to emperor. I was attacked by China, and England simultaneously, twice! In fact I am thinking of rage quitting, my empire is a shambles. :lol:

I know what I did wrong. I settled closer to both civs doorsteps. Civs don't care for that very much and it shows. In any case I decided to stick it out. If they take my capital I may quit. We'll see.

Top Bottom