Am I missing something with the barbs?

MarshalN

Prince
People keep saying the barbarians are more active and aggressive - I don't see it. I always played with raging barbarians, and to me, BNW looks the same as before? Maybe they just turned on raging permanently (and didn't really buff barbs for those who pick raging)?

Didn't you noticed the new barb units. Horsemen can be very annoying for pillaging trade routes.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's probably because of how they pillage trade routes. When barbs pillage a sea trade route, they spawn a new naval combat unit. When barbs pillage a land trade route, they spawn a new land combat unit. Perhaps that's why it seems like there are more of then than usual.

I had noticed this too, I havn't played a game without raging barbarians in years, in BNW if anything they seem less frequent. Not that I really consider it a problem, I did feel a bit guilty for taking advantage of them sometimes, whereas now they're numerous enough to be a problem, but not so to be overly farmable with honor.

Still it's definitely a noticeable change, unless I'm just crazy.

ive had a contrary experience the barbs in BNW are definitely stepped up from the ones i remember in G&k or vanilla. Besides the new units they LOVE to pillage things now and actively seek out your cities to pillage your resources. This is especially true in the first 50-100 turns of the game. They are also opportunistic and hive minded. Got a low health unit in the vicinity of some barbs? Theyre headed straight for it and youll probably get intercepted by more blocking your path. Did you just succesfully fend off an AI invasion and one of your cities health is critically low? You can bet all available units within 10 tiles including boats are on their way to try and sack it. They never seemed to show much interest in attacking cities before, this is not the case in BNW.

Cant find anything in the code that support changes to the spawn chance, or metrics along that line. They are all the same as G+K (ie from Worlds.XML and GlobalDefines.xml).

That said what may have changed is the BARB TACTICAL AI. Also Barb unit progression has likely been tweaked.

The AI now more aggressively deals with them, that's for sure.

Additionally you now have a new Barb unit.

In my games barbarians were no annoyance at all, I played even one game with raging barbs and large map. I think i managed to kill 5-6 barbs and 2-3 camps total. AI just wipes them too fast (immortal difficulty). Barbs seems easier now than before.

Barbs spawn extra units when pillaging a trade route, so if they manage to reach a trade node you can face several new barb units. These can cover more ground and sack additional routes to spawn more barbs.

It doesn't happen all the time, but I remember a Venice game where they killed 6 of my cargo ships in one turn - took roughly 30 turns to make the sea save again. And they kept coming back thanks to two one-tile-island barb camps that spawned new ships every few turns.

So I guess its very dependend on map geography and early trade routes.

The impact of barbarians can snowball easily if you don't kill them quickly after they appear. They start multiplying from the pillaging, they get harder to kill and continue to multiply until they become a big nuisance. But if you get to them fast they will not have time to reach significant numbers and will be the same as in G&K in terms of impact.

I wonder if it could be a secondary effect, like less psychotic warmongering civs having more free units available to dispose of roaming barbarians before they're noticeable.

It all is dependent on geography, Some maps I had swarms of barbarians massing on me.

Other maps they mass on me but I rout them easily.

Then some maps, They're barely alive. They try to mass but gets cut down instantly.

But they multipy from pillaging now? Wow O_o I guess that explains why Bueno Aires was drowning in barbarians with 30+ barbarians surrounding it until I freed the enslavement of bueno aires from barbarians. XD And every single hex in bueno aires was pillaged. lol

May I ask what level you play at? Also if you foucs on barb hunting from the outset, you can limit the issue. Which is why I focus on barb hunting, that and the very needed gold of course.

Try passing the camps up and just explore and see what your results are. Most of the games I have youtubed where barbs were an issue, were becaue they passed the camps by and kept exploring.

Top Bottom