Aggro Civs w Raging Barbarians?

Raider

Warlord
Hey,

I am currently playing Aztecs on Immortal with raging barbarians set and it seems a little like cheating since the barbs provide a constant source of religion, science and income. Anyone else use this setting for aggro civs? Or is it considered basically making the game easier? Aztecs in particular really seem to thrive off this since they get the Jaguars and extra benefits for killing stuff...

Just ruminating ;)

Do you play with 4UC ? Jaguar can go from 10 strength to 17 by becoming Eagle (shortswordman replacement) after 10 kills.

Hey,

I am currently playing Aztecs on Immortal with raging barbarians set and it seems a little like cheating since the barbs provide a constant source of religion, science and income. Anyone else use this setting for aggro civs? Or is it considered basically making the game easier? Aztecs in particular really seem to thrive off this since they get the Jaguars and extra benefits for killing stuff...

Just ruminating ;)
Yeah, I treat it just as easier settings. It's like setting a map with large amount of water while playing a civ that is specialized in water maps.

Yep, it can be very fun to play raging barbs with Aztecs and other agro civs. I like doing it because it means I can play immortal instead of emperor which makes the game a bit more interesting as emperor is usually a bit too easy and seems less balanced between ais than immortal. I highly recommend trying out Goths, Israel, Sweden, and Macedon, especially if you turn on Great General points for the latter two civs.

You should play however you want, and feel free to manipulate settings to fit any play style you want. There's lots of custom gameplay options and modes in VP that you can play around with.

Hey,

Just ruminating ;)
On the one hand I like how raging actually hinders the AI but the yields get a bit much, play egypt with this setting and have production skyrocket out of proportions and ofc any civ with orders.

Just finish a (totally not biased) game with Monty, Amazona map, Marathon, Raging barbarians, 4UC.
Totally not broken with this setting. Lots of fun thought :)

So insane those faith yields (especially with god of wars) that I founded my religion before my first colony...

It's basically for every civ. The first 1/3 of the game or so is basically carried by barbarian yields. For aggressive (authority) civs it's even better. Do they have an early UU then they are golden. The most silly (and funny) one is probably Monty. He is more or less GOD-tier with raging barbs. Depending on a bit of luck, spawns etc you'll create some uber-religion to complement it -- God of War, Hero Worship, Veneration, Orders, Zealotry. Every unit you kill, barbs, city-states, every AI you meet a scout from you just declare on etc. It be raining yields ...

Other solid once that come to mind would be Egypt. Same really. Early UU and it just feeds the start. But it really does work and can be done for any civ.

It's not that it doesn't have it's drawbacks tho. For some time there will be so many barbs it's hard to prevent one or two from slipping in and pillage your tiles and such. But as soon as you get gold you just buy units initially. There might even be a point in being slightly above the unit cap, it doesn't really change the production or growth to much unless you go absolutely crazy. But as long as the kill yields are more important then the production yields it shouldn't matter. Just crank out more units, more killing more better. The more you kill, the faster you kill, the more of them will spawn.

Last edited:
That's the sweet part with Monty, you can buy all your early jaguar with gold from kills (Monty gives gold and faith on kills). You then ever expand your military until your reach your cap... which actually happened quit fast.
If you are playing with 4UC, getting eagles after 10 kills is insane.

That's the sweet part with Monty, you can buy all your early jaguar with gold from kills (Monty gives gold and faith on kills). You then ever expand your military until your reach your cap... which actually happened quit fast.
If you are playing with 4UC, getting eagles after 10 kills is insane.
The gold per kill really fuels him, and the faith and the other things if you pick the right policies and get the right wonders -- culture, science, insane healing etc etc. Also the fact that you pretty much never have to buy or build a worker if you play with 4UC as you'll get the Tlakotin-workers for free from the Eagles for just doing what you have, or should have, been doing all along.

Top Bottom