Going from base Civ5 to installing BNW (skipping G&K)

Odindusk

Chieftain
I played the base game to death a couple years ago. Now I have the itch again, and want to explore new content. I only have spare cash for one expansion right now and everyone says that BNW is a must-have.

So...is it fine to skip G&K altogether? Will BNW install and play just fine without it?

Thank you in advance - I wasn't getting a clear answer in my searches.

You'll get all of the mechanics and balance changes introduced in G&K (most notably religion) if you get BNW, all you miss out on are the civs. I would recommend picking up G&K eventually though since a lot of the coolest civs in the game are from that pack (Mayaaaaa) but you can just wait to pick it up for peanuts on a steam sale.

I would suggest boxing day sale to pick up both expansions or get the gold edition plus BNW saving the most money and getting most of the content.

Thanks Archano - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I want to wait for a Steam sale, but my month-long break from university starts today. Not sure if waiting two weeks for a sale is in my best interest... :D

I suggest G&K before BNW because its hard to play BNW without G&K but its easier to play G&K without BNW

Expect a sea of changes that will be a completely different and slower game than Vanilla. Also, I don't think you'll get any tutorial popups for the G&K specific changes, so you'll just have to figure them out on your own.

Personally I think ramping up via G&K is an easier way, but YMMV.

Keep in mind, the Gold Edition Upgrade (If you already have the base edition) will only run you a tenner, if that (given all kinds of sales). Included in the upgrade is not only Gods & Kings, but also all the DLC civs and a bunch of map and wonder packs.

I hereby proclaim myself convinced that I should just get both, starting with Gold.

Top Bottom