Instant Urban Railways?

Osvaldo Manso

Warlord
In my current game, I found something awkward: I have founded a city adjacent to another civ's city. Suddenly, I noticed that both cities were connected by a railway. It's not easy to tell in the map view but it's clear when pressing 'T' for showing the transport network. The strange thing was that I had not discovered Railroad neither did the other civ. In fact, the game was pretty much in its begginings.

I don't remember seeing this before, although I avoid building cities adjacent to other cities, either mine or not. Have anyone experienced this phenomenon of instant urban railways? Just for the record, I play version 474.03.

Yeah if you build two cities it looks like railway, but if city is destroyed the railroad is gone and you always lose speed visit a city regardless if it is railroad or not.
So this is "normal" to me even if yeah it is strange when no one knows about Railroad yet :) but again you don't gain anything on it.

The game just display the city squares as railroaded, but you don't gain the boost for food/production you get with real railroad. So, it's essentially nothing more than a display glitch, connected to the fact that (in vanilla civ) you cannot railroad a city square [the only regular way how to have a city square with railroad is to railroad the square before founding the city - rather impractical for early expansion ;-)].

For the city square to "look railroaded" if there is a railroad nearby city square, the display algorithm behaves as if the city square is always railroaded. Hopefully I didn't make this too confusing.

Btw, darkpanda made an excellent patch, that makes (real) railroading of a city square possible.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=527655

I have a question from similar rank:
- you discover RailRoad
- you build RailRoad around your time
- when you drive through the given town (that lies on the RailRoad) - you get penalized !
How can I make it, that even the town is on the RailRoad really ?

Check out jCivED, Darkpanda has made a patch for the program to let you railroad your city with your settler. It works great.

Edit:
Previously mentioned above. :)

I have a question from similar rank:
- you discover RailRoad
- you build RailRoad around your time
- when you drive through the given town (that lies on the RailRoad) - you get penalized !

That's called a railway station. It's where passengers get on/off.

Yeah, building a railroad first and then founding a city, that is what I do in the modern ages. Sure.
Anyway: your answer confirmed to me, that there really is no better workaround.
Thanx for that confirmation.

Top Bottom