Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

I am interested in good mods, I wanted to know:

Which interesting gameplay mechancis does this mod offer?

I dont want a mod which just adds a lot of new stuff to build, new civs ...

I want cool mechanics.

Could you promote some gameplay elemets somewhere?

Greez

wuTz

Its basically the same game, just set in ancient times. It has different requirements for victory(but same victory types).

HA I just find the BNW edition exists and it happens to fall in the time with no host. Just my luck :)
Looking forward to downloading when available again!

Diplo's good as impossible if you enabled Time and Science - you can't found the UN until everybody's hit the Middle Ages.

Well in my experience, all victory types (except Domination) are available kind of at the same time. Without gunning for science, you'll never get the Culture victory, at which point you'll most likely also be able to send the last caravan to the capital and send the camels to space. Usually (in my games) the first world leader election comes up around that time, too, so it's basically pick and choose which victory type you want. BUT Diplo is the only one you can get without being the technologically most advanced civ. Just make sure there are enough city states still alive, and ally them all. Although with the addition of the Dark Ages, this has become more difficult because city states don't count as much anymore in that era, and you won't get a world leader election before that. So it might be a combination of Domination and Diplomacy, wipe out a number of big civs while keeping the city states alive so the ratio is sufficient for you to outvote everybody else with the help of your city state allies. (And who enables Time victory anyway ... ;) )

However, I wouldn't be against enabling the World Congress sooner, or shortening the intervals a little. (90 turns on Marathon is a looooong time, especially in late game if you're also waging war and not just have all units in sleep mode.)

The Medean UA doesn't seem to work - I didn't get a research boost upon building the Chief's hut, nor did I receive any science from the faith I am accumulating from Desert Folklore.

Well in my experience, all victory types (except Domination) are available kind of at the same time. Without gunning for science, you'll never get the Culture victory, at which point you'll most likely also be able to send the last caravan to the capital and send the camels to space. Usually (in my games) the first world leader election comes up around that time, too, so it's basically pick and choose which victory type you want. BUT Diplo is the only one you can get without being the technologically most advanced civ. Just make sure there are enough city states still alive, and ally them all. Although with the addition of the Dark Ages, this has become more difficult because city states don't count as much anymore in that era, and you won't get a world leader election before that. So it might be a combination of Domination and Diplomacy, wipe out a number of big civs while keeping the city states alive so the ratio is sufficient for you to outvote everybody else with the help of your city state allies. (And who enables Time victory anyway ... ;) )

However, I wouldn't be against enabling the World Congress sooner, or shortening the intervals a little. (90 turns on Marathon is a looooong time, especially in late game if you're also waging war and not just have all units in sleep mode.)

The turn times seem alright, but I'd agree - having the UN show up sooner would be good.

EDIT: The Medean UA did show up after I built a storyteller, never mind.

The Medean UA doesn't seem to work - I didn't get a research boost upon building the Chief's hut, nor did I receive any science from the faith I am accumulating from Desert Folklore.
EDIT: The Medean UA did show up after I built a storyteller, never mind.

I thought the same thing when I played them but there are several things that make it appear like it's not working:
- The science boost only works for buildings that give hard boosts by default (e.g. +2 or +10% science). If boosted by policies or wonders, i.e. if they only get a science yield later on, they don't count as science buildings.
- The Chief's Hut might not provide the bonus because its yields *may* still be wrong and not correspond to the tooltip. Check the XML file for that, it's an easy fix that works even for an ongoing game (you have to edit while Civ is closed, though, then reload). Or maybe national wonders and wonders don't count.
- The Faith science bonus does not show up anywhere but it is added. I did the calculation when I played Media; just check how much you've progressed in the current tech, then check again next turn. The total science increase should be the sum of your science out put plus (I think) 100% of Faith produced in the capital. To maximize this benefit, enact the House of Worship (the one that gives you +Fath per citizen) as soon as you can.

I've had a bit of time to play again today, and I believe I may have found the cause of this freeze/crash issue from a while back:

I can't say how I love AD Mod. Nice job!
It's why I'm very frustrated about my current game that freeze at turn 1166 (Marathon)
I tried to load 5 turns back and play differently, but it still freeze at turn 1166
(Save file + log folder is below)

My game crashed between turns 817 and 818 on Marathon, during the City State turns after I heard the sound of being gifted a new military unit from military city state allies. So I did the logical thing for tracking down the bug and allied all remaining military city states (that I had met yet) in order to make sure they won't spawn any units for their AI allies, then disabled unit spawning on ALL city states. And ta-da! I managed to get through without a crash. Now, to narrow down which unit exactly causes the crash when gifted would be one hell of an annoying thing to do that I wouldn't really want to spend time on right now (still in the middle of my graduation exams). HOWEVER, I do have a strong suspicion that the Garrison is what's causing the issue. After upgrading one of my Heavy Spearmen to Garrison, I noticed that it doesn't have a proper model; there's the icon but no units visible. It did appear briefly as a unit of swordsmen when I first moved it after the upgrade, and then the following turn it appeared as if it was embarked even while on land. After that, the model disappeared again entirely.

I'll try buying or building a new Garrison and see if that crashes the game as well. Upgrading doesn't seem to crash it.

EDIT: ... aaaaand confirmed. Buying a new Garrison causes the game to crash. I suppose building one will do so, too, and the only way to get them seems to be to upgrade from Heavy Spearmen. The crash is thus avoidable as long as you're way ahead in techs, i.e. as long as the AI cannot build Garrisons. But as soon as they've researched the appropriate tech (which might correspond to Asterix Rage's turn 1166) the game is basically over. I'll have a look at the files but I doubt I'll be able to spot what's wrong because editing XML files is pretty much all I know how to do. Plus, other changes might not carry over into ongoing games.

Edit 2: Alriiiiight, found a very quick fix: In the XML file (Units.xml), the Garrison and two variants of it have the line <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_VANGUARD</UnitArtInfo> that does not appear anywhere else (the VANGUARD). I replaced them with what it says in the case of a unit I know is working, the Heavy Spearman: <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_GUARD</UnitArtInfo> . Loaded up my game, bought a Garrison, and ta-da! It now has a model and is visible, and the game doesn't crash anymore. So now I don't have to kill off the remaining AIs before they research the tech for Garrisons. Instead, I can calmly build my army and then steamroll them. :) Also, the lucky ones who got v15 before AtomicGamer went down might want to apply this fix if they want to enjoy a full game.

Also a minor annoyance that might easily be amended for v16: Marble (the Vanilla marble) shows up as a luxury demanded for We Love the King. So basically you won't ever get WLtK ever again after you've gained access to all other luxuries, unless you use the Panem et Circenses decision (which I never do because Magistrates are sparse as they are).

Also a minor annoyance that might easily be amended for v16: Marble (the Vanilla marble) shows up as a luxury demanded for We Love the King. So basically you won't ever get WLtK ever again after you've gained access to all other luxuries, unless you use the Panem et Circenses decision (which I never do because Magistrates are sparse as they are).

I'm onto that, actually. The resources are being sorted out this month for the mid-September release. Oh, and magistrates might be slightly less sparse and decisions different, including religious specific and civ specific...

I assume this is related to an issue I'm having with marble at the moment - I need it for a building but for the life of me can't find how to reveal it on the map, or make it. Is there a conflict with Limestone which means marble technically doesn't exist?

Apologies if this has been discussed, I don't keep up with the thread (i did search it though)

While I'm at it, some bits:

- The city-state of Hobah appears as "Athribis" on the city banner
- The Barter blurb talks about my first trade route but actually i got my first via Sailing :p
- my cities are currently getting +1 health from empire health, but my empire health is +6 (-4 from tech, -1 from trade, +1 from resource diversity, +10 from golden age). Am I missing something? And is there a good run-down of where health (or unhealth) comes from? It doesn't appear to be in the civilopedia

I assume this is related to an issue I'm having with marble at the moment - I need it for a building but for the life of me can't find how to reveal it on the map, or make it. Is there a conflict with Limestone which means marble technically doesn't exist?

Apologies if this has been discussed, I don't keep up with the thread (i did search it though)

While I'm at it, some bits:

- The city-state of Hobah appears as "Athribis" on the city banner
- The Barter blurb talks about my first trade route but actually i got my first via Sailing :p
- my cities are currently getting +1 health from empire health, but my empire health is +6 (-4 from tech, -1 from trade, +1 from resource diversity, +10 from golden age). Am I missing something? And is there a good run-down of where health (or unhealth) comes from? It doesn't appear to be in the civilopedia

About the marble: Our issues are not related because they're two different resources. You can get working Marble either from the Dock (coastal city that needs to have access to certain local resources; check the pedia entry for which exactly) or from a Marble Quarry (can only be constructed in cities directly next to a mountain (not up to 2 tiles away)). Vanilla Marble has been taken out of the game (as a luxury), and the AD Marble is a newly created strategic resource, I believe.

Global Empire Health is a percentage, not a total number. The impact is kinda minuscule because you won't get anything beyond +/-10%, which translates into +/-1 Health per city. The only exceptions are Golden Ages (+10% Empire Health) and one of the policies in the Health tree (up to +20% Empire Health from Temples). I do believe there is a pedia article that explains the funcionality, but it's kinda hard to find. In Game Concepts maybe?

Lastly, Hobah seems to be a particularly pesky city state (although it's working fine in my current game - didn't have a matching banner in the last one though). In other words, this is a known (but kinda minor) issue.

Thanks for the advice! I completely missed the Dock because none of my coastal cities are eligible, but I notice that the Warehouse (which I just unlocked recently via Logistics) also provides Marble.

I should have looked harder. It has renewed my interest in making a reference document for this mod :p

Thanks - I'm sure I will be back with more Qs.

Ah yes! I have been using it, but what I'm thinking of doing is making a spreadsheet where I can, say, type in "Marble" and it will list everything that needs it and everything that produces it :) Or similarly, "Happiness" and it lists everything that gives me happiness, that kinda thing.

It would be a bit of an epic task but sometimes I have a lot of downtime...

By the way, are there any screenshots of what the mod looks like when used in its latest version? I have a feeling it's displaying differently for me, possibly because I'm using EnhancedUI. For instance, the resources aren't displayed on the TopBanner. I would suspect that that is expected though, given the sheer number of resources.

Ah yes! I have been using it, but what I'm thinking of doing is making a spreadsheet where I can, say, type in "Marble" and it will list everything that needs it and everything that produces it :) Or similarly, "Happiness" and it lists everything that gives me happiness, that kinda thing.

You and me both ... I did something similar once (for v13) to sort out the resource balance and suggest/make possible changes, and yes it takes forever to do that. Also, mine was wihout any actual sorting functionality because I don't know how. But I had thought about putting all the yields for each building in there along with the resources, then decided against it because it would mean going over even more stuff for every single building, twice (once what the pedia/tooltip says and once to see if the effects actually show up in game; there's always the possibility of a mismatched tooltip). Also because I'd have to do it over and over again for each future version if I wanted to carry over any changes I made myself for my own game (or check them against what's in the new version).

Anyway, if you do manage to make such a spreadsheet, many people would likely appreciate you sharing it ... at least until the next update ... :mischief:

By the way, are there any screenshots of what the mod looks like when used in its latest version? I have a feeling it's displaying differently for me, possibly because I'm using EnhancedUI. For instance, the resources aren't displayed on the TopBanner. I would suspect that that is expected though, given the sheer number of resources.

Not 100% sure but I *think* EUI was said to be incompatible. Although the incompatibility might be restricted to what you mention. If, however, you are referring to the fact that in v15, only those resources that can be mined from the map show up in the drop-down menu from the top panel, then that's normal in the current state. (Building-exclusive resources like Prime Timber don't show up there; in an unmodded UI you'd need to check the expanding panel on the left where the science thing usually is.)

EUI is partly incompatible - so far, I've had to remove the CityView module because I was unable to choose production, the clock doesn't show up (minor issue), TopBanner features don't work, and CityBanner features don't work. I miss the CityBanner most, due to the city states, but the CityList is good enough for my own cities at least.

The CivList, NotificationPanel and ToolTips do work though, it's worth it just for that.

I'm not expecting full compatibility because obviously it's a huge mod! But just wondering if anyone else was having issues.

Here's a shot of my current game: http://i.imgur.com/phDTTJm.jpg

(incidentally, I'm 200 turns in, but only one opponent civ has ever allied with a city-state and even then only briefly. That's probably because I'm on Prince (I plan to bump it up a couple notches for the next game) but it's a shame I don't have more competition to contend with there.)

I really, really liked this mode back in G&K. In fact, it was the only full-conversion mod that I liked & repeatedly played. When BNW came out, this mod wasn't updated for it for awhile, and I kinda.... forgot about it.

But shortly after civfanatics migrated to a new server, I decided to check on Anno Domini to see if there had been a BNW update, and lo and behold! It existed.... and had just become unavailable due to the server migration. One step forward, two steps back, or something like that.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to downloading this thing when it's made available again. Thanks a bunch for all your work, Rob.

Top Bottom