CIV IV vs CIV III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same was true when civ3 came out. Many was greatly disappointed with civ3 so they went back playing civ2. It took two expansion to win some civ2 fans over to civ3.

No your wrong. Civ3 s exceeding popularty is unprecidented, This relates directly to CIv4's unprecidented suckyness!

.Please don't turn the fact into a debate, theres nothing to argue, the facts speak for themselves.CIv2 never endured the quality of CIv3's craftmanship. Look at the boards they tell the story...

You can't compare anything but interest in making the game better(C+C) For that shows what standard People use when they custimize there prefences. CIv3 measures up to CIv4 daily in this regard. Civ2 never held up as long as Civ3 has. Heck some say Civ4 got worse with the lastest expansion. but thats not relevant, Im saying CIv4 wasn't built strong enough to take out the defending champ. Civ3 was. End it

I heard a guy say here, " Well, why don't you compare gen discussion??" to Mirc when he gave ON THE SPOT evidence supporting my claim.
Why? cause gen discussion tainted and don't mean jack squat. its nowhere near the pulse of Civ4 health!

Civ3 gen discussions have been talked to death compared to relitive new areas of chatter that still persists in Civ4. like "whens the next patches", and "whens the next expansion"? or general topics many like to read are always in the latest chapters forum. example" "Welcome new players" "How old are you"--that last one was started by a Civ3 player then it was taken out and moved to CIv4, to prove my point.-or how bout CIv3 vs Civ4.

So to the the guy who asked Mirc on post (115) do you see now why Gen forums are not relevant to compare or in comparison to C+C ? Excellant!

Now its hard to think back, but do you really believe that Civ2 was this popular so long after play the world was released?. Now Are you sure your scenaio fits so perfectly to whats happening today? after its been awash in doubt? I think you took a lame cliche to save a lil face but basing this comparison on a unrealistic context didn't help your deposition at all.

I'll fill you in on some more reasons why though, really there are to many reason to consider. The graphics met a happy mediem in Civ3 yes, thats one but cut to the gest of it Basiclly Civ3 has the right formula for a longer lasting interest injection. Its in the form of a more potent and easier to self-aply mods.
Hell, Entirly new expansion paks like Anni Dommi, Balancer Reloaded, Rise n Rule or What have you came out years after Civ3 supposive haydays was though over, well thats if you based it Based on a Civ2 time scale.
CIv3 attracted the talent and the players to its cause for longer periods making a contagious pattern of creatice expansion! Dynamo products make more people make more mods and more people playing them means better bug free mods! pls More units graphics pedia entries etc. Civ3s easy approach could be a justifier in its stronger staying power at the top. Im not reall y sure I justno Civ3 modded is the best product even today. Hands down

Take it away El Justo!!
El Justo said:
i've always wondered what the civ2 fan base retention was like after civ3 and then ptw came out in comparison to civ4 and warlords. i'd be willing to bet a mortgage payment that the civ3 retention rate greatly exceeds that of civ2. that in itselfs speaks volumes imo.

No your wrong. Civ3 s exceeding popularty is unprecidented, This relates directly to CIv4's unprecidented suckyness!

Take it away El Justo!!
So El Justo is your evidence. :rolleyes: I personally remember a lot complains about civ3 when it came out.

By the way since we are playing the number game I see the most popular mod is Fall from Heaven 2 with 24,224 downloads. Just because they are as many or more people in civ3 C&C as they are in civ4 C&C at a given time doesn't mean they actually more people visiting and downloading from Civ3. In another words civ3 could easily have more hardcore fans visiting more often while civ4 has more of a mix but show up less often.

Civ 3 vanilla sucked bad compared to civ 2 test of tiem but civ 3 conquests added in was a great sucess ...Civ 1 was by far the most innovative of the lot Civ 2 an extention of civ 1 ...civ 3 showed minor innovation tossed ina dn civ iv appeaered to not have a lot to it at first but the modders kicked in and blew it away ...as to any new expansions for civ iv id like to see few scenearios included <mostly just to show off new things that can be doen caseu lets face it Firaxsis hasnt come up with any really mind blowing scenarios on their own they have come from the minds of the players> so civ IV is better than Civ 3 from that aspect ..<I dont recall anyone attepting to teaching Ai's to learn in CIv 3 but it is happening with Civ IV ...Ive seen very interestign modifications on eacha nd every ascpect of the game and i expect the best of them will get used and reused in all kinds of mods...>....That said the vanilla versions of Civ IV and Warlords seemed rather lame but the engine and its modability are just stellar...

Just found another example: this thread. There were about 190 voters (edit: sorry 150 voters), and from them only 44 did not say Civ4 is worse, while they were certainly not saying Civ4 is better, but that they (40 of those 44) couldn't play Civ4 because of the requirements.

Interesting find again, especially because of the rather large number of voters. This indicates that the fanbase dropout due to raised requirements may really have been larger as shown in the polls in Civ4 GD.

Hi Psyringe, this poll is somewhat very,very dubious. :dubious: :thumbdown :nono:

Only 22 posters and none of them is known in the Civ 3 forums (at least by me). On the other side none of the posters alone in these thread, who at present prefer Civ 3 over Civ 4 has posted and voted in that poll. :lol:

Well, certainly there are Civ3 preferers which haven't been voting at this poll, as there have been Civ4 preferers who haven't been voting at this poll. As long as I don't see evidence for a systematic dropout (which I don't), I don't see why this makes the poll "dubious", or even "ridiculous"?

And than this -sorry- ridicoulus poll was made long time ago, when there was more interest in Civ 4.

But interest doesn't equal customer satisfaction, does it? While there certainly was more interest in Civ4 at that time, this wouldn't have kept the people disappointed by Civ4 from voicing their opinion. Also, the rather devastating TES4 polls that I used for comparison were also done when the game was still fresh. That didn't keep the fans pf the previous installment from voicing their opinion. So why do you see a problem with this in the Civ3/Civ4 comparison?

The only sense I see in this kind of Civ 3/Civ 4-discuss&#237;on is, that I hope that sometimes these threads are read by some people of FIRAXIS, who want to know what they have to improve for the next Civ release. And than these only positive postings from Civ 4 -fans are not very helpful - even for these posters themselves (if they want to get something better). ;) It&#180;s good to say what you like in Civ 4 and don&#180;t want to be changed. But in my eyes it&#180;s much more important to say what you don&#180;t like and what should be improved, if you want something better. When I see Civ 4 I must say: They have to improve a lot

That's the difference between us. In my opinion, they have to improve very little, because - as strange as it may sound to you - Civ4 really met most of my Civ-related wants and needs spot-on. There are of course things that can be improved (Modding accessibility, lowering required specs, making artillery feel more realistic), and I readily named those, but all in all, for my personal tastes, Civ4 is very much "Civ as it should be". So from my perspective, writing my posts is as valid and helpful as it is from your perspective to write your posts, isn't it? :)

Whoa whoa there ,Im reading over this thing and missed a few shots. Heres where the confusion lies between us my friend. I thought you believed or claimed that 85 percent of the Civving population thought CIv4 was a better product then Civ3.

Yep, I actually believe it because I still haven't seen a better number. I'm not anal about the 15&#37;, it could be 10% or 20% as well, or even less or more, depending on the distortion factors I mentioned in a previous post. I tend to believe that the disappointment rate was lower than 15%, based on the fact that dissatisfied customers are always more vocal than satisfied ones due to a variety of reasons, but since I cannot prove that assumption, I'll stay at 15% as the best approximation we have.

But the exact number isn't important (deriving it is beyond our possibilities anyways). What's important to me is that Civ4 did far better in keeping its fanbase than many other games of a popular series (HoMM4, HoMM5, MoO3, SimCity 4, TES4 ... to name a few), and that this can hardly be seen as "killing its fanbase". I actually still think that Civ4 did a very *good* job at keeping its fanbase, although I understand that your perspective looks different.

.Please don't turn the fact into a debate, theres nothing to argue, the facts speak for themselves.CIv2 never endured the quality of CIv3's craftmanship. Look at the boards they tell the story...

Hmm, may I suggest to *really* look at the boards? Especially on Civ3 GD when Civ3 was fresh? :) I was there ... and I can tell you that Civ3 was bashed as soundly as some people bashed Civ4 later. Some reasons included:

- no multiplayer in Civ3
- no scenarios on Civ3
- no wonder movies in Civ3
- no animated advisors in Civ3
- only 15 civs in Civ3 (people were used to more from Civ2 and CtP)
- only one map level in Civ3 (as opposed to the 4 levels of Civ2 ToT)
- return to simplistic government system (many people hoped for the civic-like system of SMAC)
- return to "fixed value" units (some people hoped that SMAC-style freeform unit creation would find its way into Civ3)
- no meaningful global politivs (many people hoped for global politics in the line of SMAC's multilateral projects)
- corruption as a fun-destroying game mechanic
- settler-rushing AI forcing the player into "unnatural" behavior
- abysmal modding support for scenarios in Civ3, the editor didn't even allow the placement of starting positions, many features from the Civ2 ToT scenarios weren't reimplemented (including timed events which were IIRC never reintroduced until Civ4)

Remeber, I *like* Civ3. The reasons above don't represent my opinion, but they were all arguments that were lobbed against Civ3. Don't believe that Civ3 was received better than Civ4, I don't see any evidence that could back that claim up.

However, I agree with you that the ratio of people who returned from Civ3 to Civ2 was probably smaller than the ration of people returning from Civ4 to Civ3. However, I don't think this was due to an inherent "greatness" of Civ3 - the reason was that the people who were disappointed fell back to *many* games at that time. Some went back to Civ2, some to CIv2 ToT, some to CtP, some to FreeCiv, and very many to SMAC.

I heard a guy say here, " Well, why don't you compare gen discussion??" to Mirc when he gave ON THE SPOT evidence supporting my claim.
Why? cause gen discussion tainted and don't mean jack squat. its nowhere near the pulse of Civ4 health!

[...]

So to the the guy who asked Mirc on post (115) do you see now why Gen forums are not relevant to compare or in comparison to C+C ? Excellant!

I don't think you got my point. Just re-read my post. Also, which claim exactly *are* you making?

I grant you that the Civ3 modding is still very active, and I'm glad about that. I'm also a bit worried that the difficultyto access Civ4 modding may hamper the Civ4 modding scene to an extent where the longevity of the game is in danger. Still, I don't see why focusing solely on the C&C community (which is Civ3's greatest strength) should lead to the most objective result.

Now its hard to think back, but do you really believe that Civ2 was this popular so long after play the world was released?. Now Are you sure your scenaio fits so perfectly to whats happening today? after its been awash in doubt? I think you took a lame cliche to save a lil face but basing this comparison on a unrealistic context didn't help your deposition at all.

Having been there, I'm sorry to have to tell you that Civ2 preference, CtP preference, and especially SMAC preference lasted long after the release of Civ3. Just look at the many people who say that they liked Civ2, never got into Civ3, and now like Civ4.

I'm sorry, I *do* like Civ3, but I just don't see this incredibly obvious superiority in features and reception that you claim for it (with the one exception of the accessibility of modding).

Having been there, I'm sorry to have to tell you that Civ2 preference, CtP preference, and especially SMAC preference lasted long after the release of Civ3. Just look at the many people who say that they liked Civ2, never got into Civ3, and now like Civ4.
ok if you say Civ2 was making the same splash Civ3 is now in the same context we are discussing I believe you. Simple enough why would you lie right?
I'm sorry, I *do* like Civ3, but I just don't see this incredibly obvious superiority in features and reception that you claim for it (with the one exception of the accessibility of modding).
Cool that exception brings us very close in our beliefs, Civs is nothing without mods Ive always said that. But its also nothing without the abilty to go empire size. Modding is all the more sweeter on a proper gameboard (civ3's)you agree with that to I bet. I never read anything else you said but I hope you see my earlier comments on how my perspective got mistakinly mixed up by your quotes I hate when people do that . Imagine I said hey we proved t 'guy' here's theory all wrong when you being 'guy 'never had a theory to begin with!. Try to avoid stuff like that in the future lol

Oh righ and Smiddy:mad: El justo's quote was a supporting statement but not evidence. Everything I said was the evidence but apparently it was disproved cause guy here said so! :crazyeye:

Well, certainly there are Civ3 preferers which haven't been voting at this poll, as there have been Civ4 preferers who haven't been voting at this poll. As long as I don't see evidence for a systematic dropout (which I don't), I don't see why this makes the poll "dubious", or even "ridiculous"?

That's the difference between us. In my opinion, they have to improve very little, because - as strange as it may sound to you - Civ4 really met most of my Civ-related wants and needs spot-on. There are of course things that can be improved (Modding accessibility, lowering required specs, making artillery feel more realistic), and I readily named those, but all in all, for my personal tastes, Civ4 is very much "Civ as it should be". So from my perspective, writing my posts is as valid and helpful as it is from your perspective to write your posts, isn't it? :)

Hi again Psyringe,

if you don&#180;t see why such a poll in a place where most people of one of the games that are compared don&#180;t see, read, post and of course don&#180;t vote in it, is somewhat dubious, especially when with such a poll and such a low number of participants a generalized conclusion ( 15 &#37; ...) is drawn, I can&#180;t help you and any more time in that discussion from my point of view is wasted. Last night I did the same poll on my desktop and the result was, that 100 % prefer Civ 3 over Civ 4. :lol: Sorry if you had not read this poll and voted in it. :lol:

And if you are happy with Civ 4, than congratulations! As you still have all you need, you should play that Civ 4 and don&#180;t try to block people who want something better than the existing Civ 4 because they are not happy with it.

No offence but I got ta tear through your post
But interest doesn't equal customer satisfaction, does it?

OK wanna talk custumer satisfaction numbers? look who has more complaints on the tech support page. Opps Civ4 has the big lead in that dept lol:

While there certainly was more interest in Civ4 at that time, this wouldn't have kept the people disappointed by Civ4 from voicing their opinion. Also, the rather devastating TES4
what? sure it would! everyone was waiting for promised patches and upgrades before they were going to start complaining. look now it still sucks and look the crowds are gettin angry. "Im sorry to tell you" CIv4 is taking a beating in sales can you dig that fact man! with me giving you direct evidence? I mean, does that mean its not true like every thing else you categorically deny:mischief:

Yep, I actually believe it because I still haven't seen a better number.

I expect you to stand by you claim I wasn't trying to make you recant. Its the other people who read your writing I do this for ;) I give deserving material a nice rinse lets say. ;) What I said on this specif quote was please don't make up supposive theorys I have regarding Civ4 destroying the franchise.:lol: (you forgot to reply to that part and that was the whole point I was trying to make, (Ya got to cleari your name from wronglful accusations:) )

Don't believe that Civ3 was received better than Civ4, I don't see any evidence that could back that claim up.
Beleive me I was there and saw it. thats exactly what you said so when I say it its good enough for you isn't it? Jeez I didn't ask you for the proof in the regarding the numbers on the CIv2 boardsy you swear looked exactly like CIv3s performance numbers. What makes you any more believable then me? did you see the graph you tried to pass off on us as reputable :mischief:

However, I agree with you that the ratio of people who returned from Civ3 to Civ2 was probably smaller than the ration of people returning from Civ4 to Civ3. However, I don't think this was due to an inherent "greatness" of Civ3 - the reason was that the people who were disappointed fell back to *many* games at that time. Some went back to Civ2, some to CIv2 ToT, some to CtP, some to FreeCiv, and very many to SMAC.
WHo are you kidding I said they left cause Civ4 was crap why try to agrue with me over whether Civ3 was so good it drawed them away from a still good CIv4. Point was CIv4 was crap! and so they came back to Civ3 modded, You say just as many went to civ2. Ok lets look at the boards! Any other great truths I can disprove

]I don't think you got my point. Just re-read my post. Also, which claim exactly *are* you making?
You said "why didn't you show general dis numbers" thats all! whats to miss there? Why didn't you explain it just now if it was deeper then that

From my Post you cut out : "You can't compare anything but interest in making the game better(C+C) For that shows what standard People use when they custimize there prefences."Are you still going to ask whats my point?

Still, I don't see why focusing solely on the C&C community (which is Civ3's greatest strength) should lead to the most objective result.

ok, well I answered that and why General discussion isn't good indicateer my answer to your other question. You said I missed your point and you don't no what mine is. Remeber the public can see all even if you choose to ignore :) .

Your Sorry again eh? Sorry to break the truth you can't back up?. Isn't that how you play the game lol? You just finished doubting me on every claim now what Yours is the word of god? Comon son play the game proper, keep it real. Most will remaine unconviced I imagine. Its all about the creds man an you used yours all up tryin to playin that home survey on us lol;)

Quit being so sorry!! its not like we put you through a meat grinder. Tell me what part exactly don't you see? lets not be so vague and shady on the issues. Apparently I made Civ3 sound incredibly obvious in superiority in features and reception Wow! All I did was discribed typical game scenarios playin Civ3??. huh that impressed eh? You must be a closet fan of my writing!(when the grammer is locked of course)

Its been a pleasure. Ive got to anwser some more of your back posts before I go any farther. later

Oh... wow.

The sheer volume of bandwith dedicated to what boils down to "I'm right and Civ IV sucks" "No, you suck, Civ IV is awesome" is boggling my mind.

I'm not going to bother reading most of this. Instead, I'll simply give my opinion further elaboration:

When Civ II came out, I originally didn't like it, I think Civ II seemed "stale" in graphics in comparison to Civ I. However, I soon learned to like it. Then I encountered the glitch where I started attacking myself trying to enter a city. I started to dislike II a little. But by then there was no going back; the disks for Civ I went missing.

When Civ III came out, I was ecstatic. It was new, it had awesome concepts, and it was Civ as it seemed to want to be. I played with abandon, loving every minute of it.

Later, I got Civ III Gold edition, which as most of you know is PTW with the base game. The new layout further increased my enjoyment, and the scenarios were amazing. I was enthralled.

After that, Complete came my way. Having access to C3C, PTW, and base Civ III was a great feeling of power. I just loved all the cool new features, and again, the scenarios. However, after having it for a while... I got bored. Truth be told, the annoying battles similar to spear vs. tank, the AI which inevitably turned on you, and the childish answers you could give ("Forget it! I'm the one in charge here" sounds like a tantrum) grated on my nerves. And the graphics were getting old. Finally, Civ IV came out.

What can I say? Eventually, I'm sure, I'll get bored, but not for a while. Civ IV threw me back to Warlord and it keeps pushing. This coming from a player who tried his hand at Emperor a few times at C3C. I'll still go for it a few times, though.

I like Civ IV more because, first of all, the game treats you like you know what you're doing, a la Civ II. Second, the AI actually has a personality. In Civ III, all civs would eventually turn on you, and they'd all infringe your borders. Sure, that made more of a challenge, but it got old after a while. This time, they treat the human player as someone to be reckoned with, invading if they feel they have the strength. They will actually use tactics against me now. Once, I deployed troops to fight against Elizabeth, who declared. A few turns after that, she got Montezuma involved on the opposite flank. In Civ III, they'd do that right away. Caught me with my pants down, I'll say that much.

Next, the graphics. My computer can play Civ Warlords with no trouble, thanks to the latest patch. (Before, I'd have trouble with modern movies) It's different from Civ III, in that it's more realistic. OK, it's still not perfect with the Archers towering above the Pyramids and all, but it's better than it was. I think the graphics have a long way to go, but it's improving.

Finally, the new additions. The religion model isn't really more than a parlor trick in the game, but it's certainly interesting, and when I desperately need to keep someone off my back, converting and getting showered with "we care for our brothers..." is a boon to a warhorse like myself who needs to keep his behind covered while he kicks butt elsewhere.

The scenarios included with Civ IV are pretty interesting too. I've always loved to play the Barbarians, ever since Civ I. I guess I'm a sucker for scenarios. I like the premise: They build your civ for you, and you use it as you please. It's like loading someone else's save.

No, I don't think Civ IV is perfect, or that Civ III is Satan. I really like all civs (why else would I have CivWin, Civ II, Civ II ToT, Civ III Gold and Complete and Civ IV Warlords on my computer?), so I don't see the point of fighting over it. I just happen to like cIV a little bit more.

Dont you guys perceive that T. A. Jones wont drop it doesent matter what you say/think/prove? Just drop it yourself before you get really mad at each other :p

Ah, and just something I forgot to say yesterday. In CIV3 there was any opportunity for a modder to improove the AI in the way its possible to do in CIV4? I mean, did you see Blake's work? Man, the AI is even going succefully to cultural victory! And he is improoveing so much that some AIs are more near and near of getting a domination victory! Heck, a part of his project got even into an official patch! Now THAT's cool modding! :goodjob:

Dont kill me for saying that, I was just going to say it yesterday but forgot..

In CIV3 there was any opportunity for a modder to improove the AI in the way its possible to do in CIV4? I mean, did you see Blake's work? Man, the AI is even going succefully to cultural victory! And he is improoveing so much that some AIs are more near and near of getting a domination victory! Heck, a part of his project got even into an official patch! Now THAT's cool modding!

Hi again Arlborn,

yes this is interesting and in Civ 3 can only be done with hacks as it seems there is no more support of this game by FIRAXIS.

Now I have holydays and can give Civ 4 an other try. As my question in post 29 of this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4878369&postcount=29 ) was never answered: What Civ 4 mod would you recommend that I shall try to play ?

I prefer an epic mod for huge maps and empires that can run with sufficiant performance on my pc. Better AI (Blake) and better naval artillery performance (Dale ?) should be included.

What mod for Civ 4 vanilla would you recommend for me (I ask for a mod - not for a new pc or additional ram)? I have an Athlon 3400 CPU with 512 MB ram and an 256 MB ATI graphic card.

Thank you very much for the mod you recommend ( and also for the explanation what is a Roxor). :)

Hi again Arlborn,

yes this is interesting and in Civ 3 can only be done with hacks as it seems there is no more support of this game by FIRAXIS.

Now I have holydays and can give Civ 4 an other try. As my question in post 29 of this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4878369&postcount=29 ) was never answered: What Civ 4 mod would you recommend that I shall try to play ?

I prefer an epic mod for huge maps and empires that can run with sufficiant performance on my pc. Better AI (Blake) and better naval artillery performance (Dale ?) should be included.

What mod for Civ 4 vanilla would you recommend for me (I ask for a mod - not for a new pc or additional ram)? I have an Athlon 3400 CPU with 512 MB ram and an 256 MB ATI graphic card.

Thank you very much for the mod you recommend ( and also for the explanation what is a Roxor). :)

SEVO or Total Realism if its for vanilla and not Warlords :)

Looks tihs link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Ps: They dont have Blake because its for vanilla and not warlords, Blakes AI is for warlords..
And only Sevo has Dale's mod in I bet.

And Fall From Heaven is the mostg famous and worth a try. But its different from CIV, its in a fantasy world.

I explained what is roxor, you maybe lost that? ;p Its just a joke. It came form "rox" and its used a lot in a certain RPG online..Like Plxor(please) or Suxor(sux) hehehe

Good luck and have fun :)

Arlborn

thank you for your quick answer. So if I play "Blake" for Warlords, is "Dale" than included there ? And concerning the "roxor": I have read the explanation in your last post, that&#180;s why I said "thank you". This was not meant in a sarcastic way. Sorry, if I had irritated you. :)

Arlborn

thank you for your quick answer. So if I play "Blake" for Warlords, is "Dale" than included there ? And concerning the "roxor": I have read the explanation in your last post, that&#180;s why I said "thank you". This was not meant in a sarcastic way. Sorry, if I had irritated you. :)

No I just missunderstood you and thoght you didnt read the explanation yet ;p

You have warlords then? The problem with Blake's AI is that its a DLL and it is made only for vanlla warlords. There is how to put it in other mods, they even explained how to start, but I bet its a bit of work and you need to know how to work in DLL hehe..
You can add it to a mod as long as the mod doesent modify the only one file that Blake's AI modifies, the problem is that almost all of the most complex mods modifies it, so you would need to do it manually..

But each mod has its own improviments in AI also.. I think that if you want to play something different you cant lose Fall From heaven!

And a mod with Dale's mod in is Sevomod. And Rhyes is also good, but different from vanilla in some aspects..

That page I gave you have the best mods for CIV4, go in each page and read about, Im sure you will find some interesting :)

No I just missunderstood you and thoght you didnt read the explanation yet ;p

You have warlords then? The problem with Blake's AI is that its a DLL and it is made only for vanlla warlords. There is how to put it in other mods, they even explained how to start, but I bet its a bit of work and you need to know how to work in DLL hehe..
You can add it to a mod as long as the mod doesent modify the only one file that Blake's AI modifies, the problem is that almost all of the most complex mods modifies it, so you would need to do it manually..

But each mod has its own improviments in AI also.. I think that if you want to play something different you cant lose Fall From heaven!

And a mod with Dale's mod in is Sevomod. And Rhyes is also good, but different from vanilla in some aspects
That page I gave you have the best mods for CIV4, go in each page and read about, Im sure you will find some interesting :)

So it&#180;s not so easy with the actual Civ 4 mods -in Civ 3 it is. :) Of course I can - and sometimes do - read the Civ 4 modding pages. But I have only time to try one mod as a lot of other things must be done too. So I try the Sevomod. :)

One thing I don't understand:

What do you mean? I played Vanilla 1.07f and I had 5 map levels, Tiny, Small, Standard, Large, Huge. :)

One thing I don't understand:

What do you mean? I played Vanilla 1.07f and I had 5 map levels, Tiny, Small, Standard, Large, Huge. :)

Hi Mirc, you speak of the size of the maps. In Civ 2 TOT you have 4 (or may be more) different maps that are connected. So you can go from the normal level to an underground or to an air level if your units have these abilities or you find a "teleporter" for it. It was a great feature. :thumbsup:

In my Civ 2 TOT "Space"- scenario I used it to travel via "black hole" (= teleporter) form the galaxy Milky Way to the galaxy Andromeda. For example, if you use the Black hole in the galaxy A in coordinates x= 1, y=1 you enter the map (with the same size) of galaxy B at coordinates x= 1, y=1. In the screene, the teleporter is marked with a red circle.

Hi Mirc, you speak of the size of the maps. In Civ 2 TOT you have 4 (or may be more) different maps that are connected. So you can go from the normal level to an underground or to an air level if your units have these abilities or you find a "teleporter" for it. It was a great feature. :thumbsup:

In my Civ 2 TOT "Space"- scenario I used it to travel via "black hole" (= teleporter) form the galaxy Milky Way to the galaxy Andromeda. For example, if you use the Black hole in the galaxy A in coordinates x= 1, y=1 you enter the map (with the same size) of galaxy B at coordinates x= 1, y=1.

Hum, perhaps I should see more about the expansions of CIV2.

I only played vanilla, didnt like much and dropped it..

Maybe I check, I know who has the game with some expansions, looks at least funny that screenshot..

I only played vanilla, didnt like much and dropped it..

Maybe I check, I know who has the game with some expansions, looks at least funny that screenshot..

It is very funny. But it was made by me. It&#180;s not included with the original Civ 2 ToT game. In fact the graphics of the original Civ 2 ToT game were very, very ugly. In my eyes much more ugly than the graphics of Civ 4. But in Civ 2 Tot I could change these graphics myself without any big problems. I didn&#180;t need an expensive software to do this. The programm "Paint", included in the windows software, was enough to do that. In Civ 4 this is impossible for me.

Cool that exception brings us very close in our beliefs, Civs is nothing without mods Ive always said that.

I think we could agree that a) modding has become essential for the longevity of a Civ game, that b) Civ3 allowed for easy modding (while keeping many things unmoddable), that c) Civ4 allows for deeper modding, but is less accessible, which *may* negatively influence Civ4's longevity, and that d) the final verdict about Civ4 in this regard can't be spoken yet because Civ4 is still in development (modding in Civ3 was also seriously hampered at first; as I said, we couldn't even set starting positions in the editor. Firaxis fixed that, and they may - and hopefully will - further improve the moddability of Civ4.).

I never read anything else you said but I hope you see my earlier comments on how my perspective got mistakinly mixed up by your quotes I hate when people do that .

I read your comments on that but didn't really see what you were getting at - I'm sorry if I misunderstood you somewhere along the path. If it happened, I assure you that it wasn't intended, but probably was a problem emerging from imperfect language skills on my part (I'm no native speaker), and a rather, erm, individual ;) flavour of written English on your part. I *do* sometimes have trouble understanding you.

if you don&#180;t see why such a poll in a place where most people of one of the games that are compared don&#180;t see, read, post and of course don&#180;t vote in it, is somewhat dubious, especially when with such a poll and such a low number of participants a generalized conclusion ( 15 &#37; ...) is drawn, I can't help you and any more time in that discussion from my point of view is wasted.

I do see that this is one factor that distorts the outcome of any forum poll, however as I said, there are many other factors that can and will distort the outcome of such polls, and some will work to the other direction (i.e., overestimating the ratio of disappointment). I gave some examples, e.g. the fact that dissatisfied customers are known to be more vocal than satisfied customers, and that especially people with technical problems get drawn to such forums, while people who usually don't visit forums and like the game have little reason to break with their former habits and suddenly enter a forum.

I've seen many debates about such polls, and I know that forum polls have weaknesses. However, they are still the best way of estimating customer opinion that we have, and while they will never be exact, they don't have any intrinsic one-directional bias either (because of the many factors working in both directions).

I also think that a GD forum of a new game is a better place to estimate user satisfaction as you think. Even people who returned to the previous game will step by in the new game's GD and take part in polls. If that weren't the case, how do you explain that TES4: Oblivion - perhaps the most succesful game of the year - has polls in its GD where 50% of voters prefer TES3: Morrowind over it? (And if Civ4 with 15% customer disappointment in GD was a failure, what does this make of TES4?)

Of course, the mentioned fuzziness of polls leads to endless debates. Usually, people who like a game will claim that such a poll overestimates discontent because discontent people are more vocal, while people who don't like a game will claim that the very same game *under*estimates discontent because the poll has been performed in a "fan" forum. This debate cannot be solved, since no one is able to reliably quantify the different distortion factors. All we can do is either accept the polls as the best method we have, or claiming that we won't be able to find any useable data on customer satisfaction ever. Personally, I prefer the first solution.

And if you are happy with Civ 4, than congratulations! As you still have all you need, you should play that Civ 4 and don&#180;t try to block people who want something better than the existing Civ 4 because they are not happy with it.

Well, I do want the Civ franchise to continue in the vein it's now in, so if people demand that certain things must change back, and claim that they represent a majority, then I'll naturally want to voice my (much different) opinion too. Nothing wrong with you voicing your opinion, nothing wrong with me voicing my opinion either imho. :)

everyone was waiting for promised patches and upgrades before they were going to start complaining.

If that had been the case, then the forums would have been a lot more calm one year ago. :) There were very vocal people claiming that Civ4 was inherently broken - despite the fact that polls showed that the patches solved the problems for most players. (Still, the number of people with problems was certainly too high for comfort, and I hope Firaxis learned from that.)

Dont you guys perceive that T. A. Jones wont drop it doesent matter what you say/think/prove? Just drop it yourself before you get really mad at each other :p

I'm positive that I won't get mad at Jones no matter what he says. :) I tend to just overlook personal accusations and concentrate the facts. However, I do agree with you that this discussion has outlived its usefulness.

I do like such discussions because from time to time, this discussions bring new data into the light that allows us to get a clearer image. It even happened in this discussion, and I'm thankful to mirc for his links to data I haven't had before. However, I agree with you that the rest of the discussion was less productive. Personal opinion is all well and fine, but it won't produce workable data for a reliable analysis.

So I think there's actually little point in discussing this matter further, especially because the thread was about someone asking for *help and direction* about how he could enjoy Civ4 better, and we have strayed far from this path. (Even another, similar question by Civinator hasn't been answered for a while.)

As my question in post 29 of this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4878369&postcount=29 ) was never answered: What Civ 4 mod would you recommend that I shall try to play ?

SevoMod was seen by many as the best "additions without changing general gameplay" mod, and "Total Realism" was also very famous. Neither includes Blake's AI, which is very much a work in progress (although amazing progress has already been achieved). I don't know whether Dale's is included anywhere.

Blake's AI is eventually supposed to be included in the ViSa mod, and Dale's already is, but ViSa has migrated to Warlords, and you'll probably be reluctant to buy that just to play a mod.

Keep in mind that the screenshot shown was not from a Civ2 expansion, but from (modded) Civ2 ToT. ToT (Test of Time) was a stand-alone game based on Civ2, not an expansion.

Arlborn said:
Dont you guys perceive that T. A. Jones wont drop it doesent matter what you say/think/prove? Just drop it yourself before you get really mad at each other
Hey lets both say this went on longer then intended. After all you said this is my final word aboyt 5 posts ago lol

I'm positive that I won't get mad at Jones no matter what he says. I tend to just overlook personal accusations and concentrate the facts. However, I do agree with you that this discussion has outlived its usefulness.

Ya thats good, but whats all this calling out accusations of personal accusations?. Sounds like you were hurt, but Im not sure what I said that wasn't in tone with your posts. It would have been nice had you sold some of yor ideas that deflects the obvious superiority in features and reception of CIv3 over its successor.

I guess responding to continual denials of things I said will get dry over time. lol Im sorry for that ya I should have quit after my presentation of the facts, how do you say? " the robvious superiority in features and reception of Civ3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom