Big questions about Civ

Colonization2020

Chieftain
I'm here to vent to other Civilization fans.

I spent years playing Civ I, II and III, and Civ IV was hands down the best of all. I didn't like Civ V and when I wanted to buy Civ VI I feel that it is much worse than CIV IV.

I have bought Civ IV and Civ VI on Steam, but since I have a very powerful Mac I can't play Civ IV, because Steam says it's "too old". I've tried trying to play FreeCiv and similar games that give me the same experience: fighting without the need for excessive micromanagement. But I can't find anything.

How could I play Civ IV again with a powerful Mac like mine? Is there any other comparable game? What do you think about Old World?

Thank you

I'm here to vent to other Civilization fans.

I spent years playing Civ I, II and III, and Civ IV was hands down the best of all. I didn't like Civ V and when I wanted to buy Civ VI I feel that it is much worse than CIV IV.

I have bought Civ IV and Civ VI on Steam, but since I have a very powerful Mac I can't play Civ IV, because Steam says it's "too old". I've tried trying to play FreeCiv and similar games that give me the same experience: fighting without the need for excessive micromanagement. But I can't find anything.

How could I play Civ IV again with a powerful Mac like mine? Is there any other comparable game? What do you think about Old World?

Thank you

VirtualBox? (Or any other virtualization software).
You are better off playing it in Windows though. (Especially as MacOS isn't for sale separately).

I had a MacBook and played exclusively on Mac (until about 5 yrs ago - when I started modding). I ran Civ in Bootcamp in Windows. Much better performance than on MacOS.

Only goes to show you can't please all the people...

Civ IV was the only version of Civ that I simply couldn't get on with. I reverted to III, till V came out.

Solo demuestra que no puedes complacer a todas las personas...

Civ IV fue la única versión de Civ con la que simplemente no pude seguir. Volví a III, hasta que salió V.
I can't believe what you say. Civ IV was worse than Civ III, but overall it was a better made game. More entertaining. With Civ VI I fell asleep and Civ VI seems to me a very bad game. I thought all the fans thought the same. I admit that Civ III was very good, but not better than Civ IV.

Moderator Action: We are an English language forum. Please provide a translation of your post. leif

Last edited:
A consensus opinion? There are as many variations on the answer to "why is X the best civ game" as there are civ fanatics.

Of course it's a trick question since the answer is Alpha Centauri.

Top Bottom