Hunting mechanics

It's also a bit of a shame that four of the six myths are for great cats. Maybe just three - Great Cat, Bear and Wolf?

+1 to make a single general "Myth of the wild" or somesuch.

Butchering inside of a city also seems a tad overpowered, but then capturing an animal has a low chance of happening, so I guess it shouldn't get out of hand.

It's also a bit of a shame that four of the six myths are for great cats. Maybe just three - Great Cat, Bear and Wolf?
(Just note that ancient people did not recognise those as great cats. Just as they though of whales as fish, despite those are mammals.)

Another thing comes to mind, is AI able to fully use all those features? If not or if it can use it only partially, it might be good to give AI some advantage, for example some more yield when killing animals.

Edit: sorry, I've seen your previous answer, I'll look at the code I've imported from C2C to make sure it works.

I would also like to see use captured animal as military standard symbol that gives +1 xp for militaRy units builded in city. It comes from C2C

I would also like to see use captured animal as military standard symbol that gives +1 xp for militaRy units builded in city. It comes from C2C

Well, I never really understood the idea behind that.
But basicall: I don't think Rand needs more Xp sources early in the game. C2C has a much longer ancient era so that needs it, but I think Rand is okay without it.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13676015 said:
Speaking with my wife she's got an idea: what about a limit of 1 myth per city or 1 myth per civ? This way I think it's acceptable to have more myths. What do you think?

If the only difference is the name and icon, it doesn't make much sense IMO.

If the only difference is the name and icon, it doesn't make much sense IMO.
Well, we could make some small differences like for religions for example, or going obsolete ad different but close techs. Or make some religion give some benefits when there's a specific myth present in the city. After all different civs/nations have different favourite animals.

I discarded the idea of the Military Standard a long time ago. I do not want too much XP given out during the early eras. I think it should be difficult to get beyond the 2-promotion threshold; for Melee units, this requires combining Barracks with either the Warrior Caste civic (and accepting the civic drawbacks) or both the Arena and the Charismatic trait (this adds up to 4 XP, which is 2 promos for Charismatic).

As far as the myths go, making them 1/civ would need major changes beyond the XML level; making them 1/city is possible, but would probably be so clunky that I don't think it would be a good idea. Instead, why don't we consolidate all the animal myths into one Myth of the Beast, and then have 2-3 other, mutually incompatible, Myths with the same effect (+1 science) but different build conditions? The non-Beast myths would probably cost about 10 hammers to build (Elder Council costs 8, but Myths have a longer lifespan).

Here's a list of what I think would work:
  • Myth of the Beast: Build with any Captured Animal.
  • Myth of the Hero: Build if you have a unit of Level 2 or higher (keep in mind XP is very limited in the Ancient Era, but this could be kicked to level 3 if too easy)
  • Myth of the Sea: Build in a coastal city.
  • There is room for one more, but I'm not sure of what would be best.

Myth of the Nature: build in a city with access to fresh water (or...possibly jungles?)
Myth of the Earth: build in a city in the vicinity of peaks

Just ideas.

Also, how hard is it to make this mechanic a new game option? I am okay with making the option to default ON, but it would be nice to make it an option.

Well, I never really understood the idea behind that.

Idea is that soldiers are more loyal when they serve under some symbol.
But i think that we dont have any morale system yet.

[...]
Here's a list of what I think would work:
  • Myth of the Beast: Build with any Captured Animal.
  • Myth of the Hero: Build if you have a unit of Level 2 or higher (keep in mind XP is very limited in the Ancient Era, but this could be kicked to level 3 if too easy)
  • Myth of the Sea: Build in a coastal city.
  • There is room for one more, but I'm not sure of what would be best.

Myth of the Nature: build in a city with access to fresh water (or...possibly jungles?)
Myth of the Earth: build in a city in the vicinity of peaks

Just ideas.

Also, how hard is it to make this mechanic a new game option? I am okay with making the option to default ON, but it would be nice to make it an option.

If these myths get to be mutually exclusive (1/civ would be ideal), AND a selectable game option, I'm all for them :)

What about adding/replacing one of the proposed Myth with something like Myth of the Snow (requiring Tundra/Ice: it would help civs born in unlucky spots)? I think there are too many coastal tiles and peaks in every map in comparison to the chance you have to build Myth of the Hero or Myth of the Beast. We could also make Myth of the Sea require Fish or Whales in city vicinity. What do you think?

I don't think the terrain myths need the definite article, e.g. 'Myth of the Beast' is fine, but 'Myth of Rock' or 'Myth of Ice' would do for the mountain or tundra varieties.

That said, I like poetic names better. 'Myth of the Earth Bones' for a mountain myth or even 'A Winter's Tale' for a tundra myth.

In thinking about it some more, I think it is better to give the Myths some slightly different abilities. This way, and keeping the Myths mutually exclusive, deciding which Myth to build is a choice and not just "build myths as fast as you can". So as not to upset things too much, I think +1 yield of one type per Myth will not change things too much, and as there are three yields, that means we stop with only three myths.

I think this is a workable final list.
  • Myth of the Beast: Build by Captured Animal. +1 :science:, +1 :food:.
  • Myth of the Hero: Build if you have a Level 3 unit (level 3 is 2 promotions). +1 :science:, +1 :hammers:.
  • Myth of the Sea: Build in a coastal city. Requires Sailing in addition to Storytelling. +1 :science:, +1 :commerce:.

Could we still have a desert/tundra myth? Those tiles suck so much, it would be of benefit to someone cursed to live in those terrains.

Could we still have a desert/tundra myth? Those tiles suck so much, it would be of benefit to someone cursed to live in those terrains.

:lol:
I approve!

We could make three more myths reflecting same yields, in order to help some civs spawned on difficult terrains. For example Myth of Ice (food), Myth of Desert (hammers), Myth of Jungle (commerce). Just an idea, of course if Vokarya agrees.

I don't want to do more than three Myths. However, we haven't yet gotten to the "prey" side of the hunting mechanics. This will have another option that I think will be helpful to cities with Jungle or Tundra in their radius. I have to do the coding and find the appropriate art assets first, though. It will not be too long.

Top Bottom