Please help me with a decision.

Redaxe

Emperor
Playing a Diety game. I've got full tradition, 2 policies in Piety (Organised Religion & Theology) and the 3 good Policies in Rationalism (Secularism, Free Thought & Humanism).

I have a choice of putting 2 policies to finish Rationalism for the bonus to Research Agreements, gold from science buildings but mainly so I can buy Great Scientists with faith for science victory
or
2 more policies in Piety to get Reformation (To The Glory of God) so I can buy Great Scientists with faith anyway.

What do you think is the best?

Finishing Rationalism will also give you a free tech.

With To the Glory of God, you can also buy Great Writers (and other Great Persons), so you can always bulb one or two GWs to finish Rationalism later, when the free tech may be more meaningful. How many RAs do you have? If you aren't relying on RAs, you might take the reformation belief route, with one caveat -- if the AI sneaks in and reforms before you are able to do so and takes TGoG, you will have wasted a policy in Reformation, so you might want to time the two Piety policies for when you can bulb a GW and take 2 policies at once.

Finishing Rationalism will also give you a free tech.

With To the Glory of God, you can also buy Great Writers (and other Great Persons), so you can always bulb one or two GWs to finish Rationalism later, when the free tech may be more meaningful. How many RAs do you have? If you aren't relying on RAs, you might take the reformation belief route, with one caveat -- if the AI sneaks in and reforms before you are able to do so and takes TGoG, you will have wasted a policy in Reformation, so you might want to time the two Piety policies for when you can bulb a GW and take 2 policies at once.

I ended up going with Piety for the Reformation - I just won a world fair so I had plenty of free culture to spend.

To be honest I don't tend to use Research Agreements very much at all. Problem is I've neglected military too much and now my Autocratic neighbours want me dead. I can rush policies to get Volunteer Army so I think it's worth it for that.

rationalism is the thing that's going to carry you...

also @Browd, with reformation glory of god, do these GP get put on different counters than your policy finisher GPs?

Each type of faith-purchased GP is on its own faith-cost counter. Faith-purchased GPs do not affect the Great Person Point costs of GPs.

Yeah I think the Reformation belief wins out - It gives you a lot more flexibility; late game golden ages, Treatise, i can even plant a Great Merchant with Freedom for a 9 gold bonus (with Marketplace, Bank, Exchange, Temple & commerce Opener for 125% bonus) that is 20 gold so about equal to a free trade route.
Faith per turn is 130 so that's pretty decent.

Most games I am reluctant to do more than open piety, and maybe not even that. People mention liking the temple gold, but getting the building discount early is the one I find more temping. And reformation is so good! If I have just two policies in a tree, I feel compelled to complete it for the finisher, and that’s three “must-haves”...

How do you know when to stop?

Top Bottom