seeds?

Fanny Brice

Prince
Are seeds the same from computer to computer?

For instance... if I have a seed called "green" will a person on another computer pull up the exact same map if they enter "green" on their computer?

Or are seeds specific to the computer they are created on?

Thanks

They aren't computer specific. For the person to get the same map as your "green" seed, they will have to use the exact same settings( temperature, climate, landmass etc)

lbhhh... thanks for the answer.

OK... that makes me wonder. If you put in "green" with different settings will it be an entirely different map?

or maybe you have the same "mass" with different temp/climate... will you get the same landmass layout, a different "face"... ie, terrain features? Like more forests, or tundra for example.

Originally posted by Fanny Brice

or maybe you have the same "mass" with different temp/climate... will you get the same landmass layout, a different "face"... ie, terrain features? Like more forests, or tundra for example.

I tested it with the editor and the generate map function. If you keep the seed and land settings( e.g. continents and 60% water) constant and only change climate, age and temperature the terrain will change but not the continents.

Heres the results of the experiment:

Tiny Pangea 80% ocean arid cool 3billion

Attachments

• aridcool3.jpg
    aridcool3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 436
Compared with

Tiny Pangea 80% Ocean wet warm 5billion
It's clearly the same world size and shape but there is a big difference in terrain and resource layout.

BTW the seed I used was 11111 if anyone is interested in playing this map.

Attachments

• wetwarm5.jpg
    wetwarm5.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 417
Well, those examples show that at least the world generator is really good...

Originally posted by Fanny Brice
Good work lbhhh.

Thanks, I was wondering about the seed question and your question gave me the excuse to go check it out. I'm glad to have been a help.

One more Seed question: which patch did this function start with? I'm still playing Conquests right out of the box (rootb), but this would tempt me enough to finally patch.

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread.

Guncrazy - Please do not start another thread for an active topic.

Originally posted by tomart109
One more Seed question: which patch did this function start with? I'm still playing Conquests right out of the box (rootb), but this would tempt me enough to finally patch.

I did the tests with 1.15. I don't see why it wouldn't work with 1.22. I'd recommend you to patch up, if only for corruption that works better and a FP that has a use.

IIRC, it started with 1.12b, but for sure it is contained in 1.15b, which I am still using (without problems, except for the known issues).
Anyway, I agree with lbhhh about that patching would make sense. 1.15b worked fine for me.

Top Bottom