CIV 5 Leaders: Whom was the most impressive/significant?

Whom was the most significant of all Civ 5 leaders in history?

• Alexander

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Pachacuti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attila

• Caesar

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Bismark

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Boudicca

• Ramesses II

• Washington

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Darius I

• Ramkhamhaeng

• Elizabeth

• Sejong

• Oda Nobunaga

• Ghandi

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Khan

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Gustavus Adolphus

• Haile Selassie

• Bluetooth

• Harun al-Rashid

• Kamehameha

• Isabella

• Montezuma

• Napoleon

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nebuchadnezzar II

• Other

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
There are some tough calls here. As with so many of these discussions it hinges on what's meant by "important". It's perfectly defensible to define importance in terms of their contribution to the modern world - and for all that it goes against popular sensibilities, the modern world is an essentially European creation: nation states worldwide follow a European model of social organisation (and in the case of post-colonial states, often following European-drawn borders), mostly with constitutions based on European law and parliamentary systems of government. The global economy adheres to European capitalist philosophies. Most global institutions, from the United Nations down, are ultimately based on European ideals, many of them enshrined in conventions such as those on human rights, world heritage, and the treatment of enemies in warfare.

With that in mind I think Napoleon has to be no. 1. Arguments can be made for Alexander, not so much for Augustus or Genghis - these latter rulers founded institutions that went on to have massive effects on the development of European society and its modern derivatives, but much of that importance was due to the actions of later rulers building on their work. Rome's major lasting influence is the ubiquity of Christianity, a much later development than Augustus. The Mongol empire reached its zenith under Kublai Khan. And even if one wants to claim Washington's preeminence in the founding of the US - which, as has been pointed out, is contentious - the US would be a minor territory surrounded by the descendants of Spanish and French colonies without the imperial adventures of later presidents.

Napoleon and Alexander are different, as individuals who single-handedly shaped their worlds. And with his fingerprints on everything from legal codes not only within Europe but within the constitutions of most modern states to, as mentioned, military practice, it's hard to identify an individual with more impact on the modern world than Napoleon. Bismarck likewise had a very strong hand in the development of Europe at the time, but he comes a distant second to Napoleon's lasting achievements.

Augustus is the only one to have other, unrelated leaders use his name to show how important they are.

HeliosDisciple said:
Augustus is the only one to have other, unrelated leaders use his name to show how important they are.

Augustus actually used Julius Caesar's name to show how important he was. Augustus was not even a name but a title voted to him by the Senate.

I'm not into "Great Man" history like others here. But like PhilBowles said in the post above, European history=Modern history. Every country on earth has been influenced by European law, rule, and culture.

It's very close, but I'm going to go with Alexander. His conquest was amazing for the time to conquer an area that big in a mere two decades, and wasn't matched really until Genghis Khan. His spread of Greek culture across the known world at the time was huge and played a big role in Roman history, and thus European and Modern history.

Augustus (NOT JULIUS) also played a big part and did some great things, but others here just simply outshine him.

Genghis Khan would get my #2, his conquest were astonishing, and linked up Europe and Asia and contributed to the rise and fall of many empires. His DNA is also very well-spread, more than anyone else of that time. Although he wasn't responsible for all of the Mongol achievements, he very much got it up and going and laid the foundation for his sons.

Napoleon is #3 for me, and definetley the most influential in the "Modern" section, he revolutionized warfare, played a huge part in nearly every nation at the time. Set in the Industrial Age and very may have laid the foundation for the world wars.

Washington gets another honorable mention, being one of the pioneers of the most influential country of modern history, and severely impacted some European nations at the time before America became a superpower.

Alexander, Genghis, Napoleon, Washington, and Augustus, but it's really splitting hairs if you ask me.

Top Bottom