Best Civ in game?

What is the best civ of all time in terms of OPness?

• Babylon

Votes: 28 19.7%
  • Egypt

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • England

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Ethopia

• Inca

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Korea

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Persia

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Pland

Votes: 44 31.0%
  • Arabia

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Aztec

• China

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Greece

• Huns

• Maya

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Russia

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Shoshone

• Spain

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Brazil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Byzantium

• Celts

• Germany

• India

• Indonesia

• Mongolia

• Morocco

• Total voters
SPAIN !!! for giving me my first win on deity
and so fun to play for its randomness

you get a natural wonder 75% of your games, even grand mesa gives you outstanding bonus thx to your UA
ore of nature pantheon gives you double faith, everytime you got a wonder nearby, you got a religion for sure. i feel like this bonus only is stronger than the abilities of civ like celts/ethiopia that give you faith
even the 1 happiness for discovering each natural wonder is double

you almost wish not to get the 500 gold bonus to still let a chance to the AI

you get a natural wonder 75% of your games, even grand mesa gives you outstanding bonus thx to your UA
ore of nature pantheon gives you double faith, everytime you got a wonder nearby, you got a religion for sure. i feel like this bonus only is stronger than the abilities of civ like celts/ethiopia that give you faith

Hah! I want to try them. What kind of map do you suggest?

Adding to the Celidith Hall, that +3 happiness is quite significant, since that's the HIGHEST happiness you can get out of any building in the game. All other happiness buildings only give 2.

Of course there's the exception with Egypt's BurialTomb if you get the follower belief that gets you+2 happiness to temples in cities with more than +5 followers, making it give +4 happiness.

And as others said, the thing about the Celts is that you can get an early pantheon and religion without having to waste as much hammers as others have to. Get some Pictish warriors and use them for barb cleaning and you got yourself a helpful amount of faith.

I find your lack of Venice disturbing...

Would you believe my first Deity win was with Venice? I'll never forget it. Strategies was defense, trade routes, and....well.....that's it lol.

They are quite good at diplomatic but that's really it. You could pull off domination I suppose. But 1 city science/culture victory? That's such a major drawback I would never even try (unless it's just for the challenge).

Hah! I want to try them. What kind of map do you suggest?

a map with natural wonders haha

its the only things that matters...
my most eady win have been with them too...

warrior found fontain of youth like 7 tiles east from capital... bought a setter with the 500gold...
appears that it doubles the smilies too... so had like 30...
then my scoot found lake victoria like 8 tiles easr of capital... and archery in a ruin
warrionr ended up finding another one pretty much at the same time (was inside a city state borders tho)
bought 2 archers to clear 2 barberian villages on the path and close to vic lake plus a settler to take that lake that was close to a city state border nd rush there...

took the pantheon that gives 4 faith (so 8) and manage to pass Natural heritage (10 culture) on 1st congress...

rest is history... I think if I would have rol a start lie that on diety I would have win!

WOrst civ if you dont find those wonders.... but hey!! EPic if you find lots of them!

How do you usually play Spain? Do you set off immediately with your settler and warrior hoping to set up a late capital on that nearby wonder? Or do you always save it for your second city? I've always liked the idea of Spain but never really have I given them a shot.

It's a toss-up between Babylon and Poland in most cases.

Pangea domination you could also go with Mongolia or Arabia. Water domination can go to England.

Spain with good natural wonders is up there but I wouldn't really count them in as they are 100% luck based.

Poland and Babylon are always going to lead these discussions and for good reasons but they're not my picks so nyah nyah nyah. I'm not going to claim either isn't strong, or that they aren't likely the two strongest. However, Babylon is so dishwater-dull that it negates any value in playing them - this isn't my job, after all. Solidarity is obviously great, though it makes me want to do the math on how other UAs can get early culture rolling to get more policies over time. Plus, I don't tend to favor the kind of maps that the WH/DS can take utmost advantage of. Anyway, my picks, taking those two answers out of it entirely:

1.) Inca - An insane early start that covers basically all the bases (production, science, economy) while mitigating any drawbacks, plus archers with better movement and before researching archery, and then finally the power of the terrace farm. The first Civ I ever played that just felt OP on every level, but still insanely fun.

2.) Morocco - Economic Expansive Turtle Powerhouse that only gets better with Petra. The most out-of-hand victory I've ever had was just from messing around with Morocco, where by the end it wasn't a matter of winning, but picking which of literally any of the VCs I wanted.

3. Aztec - It's been explained above, but the Military/Culture/Food bonuses are unheard of in any other civ, and play extremely well together, requiring none of the bending-over-backwards weirdness that you sometimes need to get the most out of a similar civ, like Assyria.

Poland and Babylon are always going to lead these discussions and for good reasons but they're not my picks so nyah nyah nyah. I'm not going to claim either isn't strong, or that they aren't likely the two strongest. However, Babylon is so dishwater-dull that it negates any value in playing them - this isn't my job, after all. Solidarity is obviously great, though it makes me want to do the math on how other UAs can get early culture rolling to get more policies over time. Plus, I don't tend to favor the kind of maps that the WH/DS can take utmost advantage of. Anyway, my picks, taking those two answers out of it entirely:

1.) Inca - An insane early start that covers basically all the bases (production, science, economy) while mitigating any drawbacks, plus archers with better movement and before researching archery, and then finally the power of the terrace farm. The first Civ I ever played that just felt OP on every level, but still insanely fun.

2.) Morocco - Economic Expansive Turtle Powerhouse that only gets better with Petra. The most out-of-hand victory I've ever had was just from messing around with Morocco, where by the end it wasn't a matter of winning, but picking which of literally any of the VCs I wanted.

3. Aztec - It's been explained above, but the Military/Culture/Food bonuses are unheard of in any other civ, and play extremely well together, requiring none of the bending-over-backwards weirdness that you sometimes need to get the most out of a similar civ, like Assyria.

was wondering if I was the only one being awe with Incan civ EDIT: MAYANS I MEAN
the point is that its also VERY easy to max out their UA UU and UB on every maps and VS any civs

Incans do have to research Archery, though, Mayans are the ones that don't have to.

How do you usually play Spain? Do you set off immediately with your settler and warrior hoping to set up a late capital on that nearby wonder? Or do you always save it for your second city? I've always liked the idea of Spain but never really have I given them a shot.

you'd be extremly lucky to find a natural wonder that close to your capital
nah just settle wherever you are and go exploring

you dont need super wonders to do well, the game i won on deity i only had old faithful around; had to concquer some cities to get more
of course if you get salomon's mines it tends to be a bit unfair ^^ got it once, with 1 population i built temple of artemis and colossus

anyway depending on the wonders you find, where they are ect... you have to adapt your gameplay; each game is different, which makes spain very fun to play

lol yea a map with natural wonders :rolleyes:
i prefer pangea but thats just me

anyway i dont use conquistador to settle cities, both of their UU are pretty useless

Discovering some islands with Conquistadors would be good for RP, no?

whats RP? Role Play?

apart from their settle ability, what's nice with conquistador is the extra sight
it gets +2 which is absolutly huge, i usually keep one for an era later as it's always useful to have this kind of unit when taking cities

As Spain, you will find it annoyign when CSs take a good NW from you. You could conqure it, but that'd get you some hate. You can also settle close enough to it (mind an actual good city position as well) and use a Great General to steal the CS land that has the NW. That way you can get it without having to resort to war.

Babylon's science bonus happens much earlier thanks to the super early Academy. Along with that they have good archers which help out with the early defence. Not sure about the walls, though. I heard they are still quite waste of hammers. I usppose they're more worth it later eras when you plan on getting castles.

Korea gets really crazy once they get their unis up. I think it's easier to knock out Korea early than it is Babylon. Korea's UUs are very different from the units they replace. Hwacha is for units rather than cities, and Turtle ships are for coastal defence rather than exploring (or occasional neighbouring coastal city capture if possible)

Top Bottom