Has the AI goten any better?

Ondskan

Emperor
I loved the new combat system.

I'm just curious if the AI has goten any better at all?
Especially with late game battles when the map is full of troops.

Also how is that dealt with? Is supplycost still such a small problem that you can basically fill a full map with units?

I loved the new combat system.

I'm just curious if the AI has goten any better at all?
Especially with late game battles when the map is full of troops.

Also how is that dealt with? Is supplycost still such a small problem that you can basically fill a full map with units?

The AI has gotten noticeably better, but it (obviously) still can't keep up with a good human player. I don't think unit maintenance has decreased, but I've always thought it was high enough.

Although I don't have G&K yet, from what I've heard it sounds like it may be some better, and I've heard of a patch coming soon(or is it already out?)that will make it where the AI can actually buy units.

Although I don't have G&K yet, from what I've heard it sounds like it may be some better, and I've heard of a patch coming soon(or is it already out?)that will make it where the AI can actually buy units.

I would assume you're talking about the Fall Patch, which isn't out yet. But I'm 99.99% sure that AIs already buy units, especially on higher difficulty levels.

I would assume you're talking about the Fall Patch, which isn't out yet. But I'm 99.99% sure that AIs already buy units, especially on higher difficulty levels.

Only ground units and defenses like walls etc.

The rest are based on their insane production bonuses, which can look like they are rushbuying when they are not.

This patch will remedy not only that (they will now rushbuy tons of naval AND air, including nukes, if they have to), but they will also consider annexing puppets if they have a large puppet empire.

Sounds like dangerous stuff; we'll see (esp. this pillage gig).

But what about the huge waves of units in late game? Does it still get to that point? Saw screenshots of a whole map full of units once. I wouldn't want to play a game like that. One way to solve it would be an extremely large, barren map I guess with fewer than normal players. This way you'd have so many tiles that can't be worked.

Anyway the Steam thing is creating worse and worse problems for me. Just emailed them to close my account after 12 years and refund me partially for the games I already have.

Sigh. But I would like to try a good Civ 5 if it has become better. The AI was beyond stupid when I tried it before. Think it was a "free 48 hours" or something

"Late game" unit flooding is controlled by 2 mechanisms which may or may not apply depending on what you mean by late game. If by late game you mean when your empire is up to speed, ahead on techs or some other hegemony then no, the AI can have lots and lots of units flying around. If late game refers to late Eras such as Modern/Info/Future eras, then the throttles can apply.

First, if you have 12 Uranium, then you can only build a total of 12 Nukes, nuclear plants and GDRs combined (if one dies, then you can build a new one). Same with Oil for tanks and bombers or Aluminum. Second, unit maintenance is insane: some exponential thing where the number of turns and/or number of units make it very costly if/when you want to play in later eras. Technically, the 1 unit per tile also limits the number of units it is practical to build.

Early in the game the cost per unit is low, the later it gets the more it increases. In part, I dont mind this as a Stealth Bomber should be more costly to maintain than a worker. I do object to the amount it increases though (20+ per unit per turn). This can be modded to be flatter (very easy), but make it too flat and you can get unit spam (which might be the case in the pic you describe).

One other remedy is to commandeer resources like Aluminum and Uranium thru conquest and sucking up to CSs that have those resources.

Top Bottom