Civ1 DOS Succession Game!

addiv: did you mean Republic? We've already switched to Monarchy.. too late to protest that:) It is true that we probably don't switch to Republic until after we attack the Mongols. That'd make Religion the higher priority for research.

I had a feeling not everyone here was fond of barracks, since noone else had put any up. Up to the next player to decide if he wants any more of them or not. They are only worth the investment if the city they are in builds a lot of units. To pay for itself, the units a barracks produces have to fight about 12 battles. (Being a veteran increases the success rate against a fortified phalanx from 57 to 67% for chariots, 67 to 75% for catapults, and the extra 8-10% chances for survival have to add up to enough to compensate for the one additional 40-shield unit you could have built instead of the barracks.) I tend to fairly quickly turn some cities into 'shield cities' and others into 'arrow cities', and let the arrow cities not build units after their first phalanx, while the shield cities supply everyone else with new units as needed. Not everyone plays that way though.

Comments on Siegmund's turn:

1) What's "MMed" mean? Something to do with changing what tiles are worked?

2) I like the idea of barracks in a couple unit-making cities and nowhere else since they will obsolete on gunpowder.

3) At the Mongol border, having the southern chariot move 1 square NE would be better than moving the horseman as they can currently reach the non-bonus grass 1N,3E of Samarkand by moving diagonally; but since it's now blocked by the irrigating settler and militia, the suggestion of moving the horseman 1 square E will at least keep them from going any further than that.

4) The tech suggestion of moving toward Republic and Religion sounds good to me.

5) We may want to get a 4th settler on improvement duty, building roads to the Eastern cities or have one of the irrigaters do that. Eventually there will be war with the Mongols and having a road network could be a big help.

Here's the map:

We will have a couple more settlers coming online in the next few turns. "MMed" short for "micromanaged," yes, it means reassigning which tiles the citizens work. In Civ1 it was often a necessity; in Civ3 if you are lazy you can give the AI general instructions like "dont let the city go into disorder" or "emphasize trade" or "emphasize shields."

Come to think of it, I slightly misued the term. All I did was change the overall allocation of things and then leave it. In both games there are ways to squeeze a little bit extra out by avoiding wastage. Usually this involves turning down the tech rate the last turn before a discovery or reducing shield production the last turn before something is completed, so that the surplus light bulbs or shields get turned into money or food instead of just disappearing. So some people only use 'micromanaging' to refer to habitually checking every city every turn for that kind of opportunity.

And yes, I'd rather have moved the southern chariot, too, but he's been pinned there for about 4 turns now.

--Set taxes @ 0.2.8->6 turns/tech; +7g/turn
--Tak barracks->chariot
--Nakhon Sawan settler->market
--Khon Kaen changes from settler to legion
--Sari Buri settler->militia
--Nakhon Sawan settler mines coal
--Mongols talk->nothing:rolleyes:
--A little PRB
--Khon Kaen legion->chariot
--Hat Yai settler boards a ship to the next continent
--Bangkok settler->diplomat
--Discover Literacy->Philosophy(Astronomy, Republic, Feudalism)
--Sari Buri settler mines coal by Da Nang
--Pliny calls us happiest:D:D
--Settler on continent 2 finds fish, horse-looks like a good city site:hmm:
--Trireme on continent 2 finds irrigation:eek:...maybe not so good
--Bangkok settler mines coal by Hat Yai
--Da Nang settler->chariot
--More irrigation...but no city...yet
--Find French city of Paris!!

Haven't looked in too much detail at Bob_Smurf's turn yet, but I noticed one thing when making the map. Our Cavalry near Bokhara hasn't moved and it really needs to go 1 square East to seal off the Mongols from moving out; their cavalry is in danger of breaking free right now. On this turn, we could move it NE to the desert and then S to the blockade position and I think that's an extremely good idea.

Re:moving the horse-Yes, a very good idea.
Re:Unit construction-The legion I built was to kill the militia when the time comes. Most cities are building chariots or catapults now. There is a small army heading toward the Mongols, with settlers behind them roading, and maybe later founding a city over there.
Re:continent #2-post-save recon indicates...no, just kidding, Siegmund.;)

Our circle of friends is expanding..heheh. Looks like we will have to decide quickly whether we want to colonize part of the French region and risk a 2nd war not long after we are done with the Mongols, or concentrate on filling up our own continent first. Since the settler is already there, might as well make a toehold.

A suggestion re the "catapults and chariots" question. It is a long march to reach Mongolia from Siam. Chariots move faster than catapults. If each of the unit-producing cities builds first catapults and then switches to chariots... the entire force could arrive at its destination at about the same time, since the chariots will have just enough time to make up for the 8-10-tile head start.

When I opened the game, the year was 1580 BC. Bob_Smurf, next time you play, save before you press enter on the last turn.

I'm not mentioning every little detail any more in the log, only the more important events, otherwise the log would become too long.

1580 BC:

- Cavalry near Mongolia moved to blocking position
- Settler on French continent moves SW and finds the French city of Orleans. We make peace and give them Trade in exchange for Republic (only tech they could offer). I don't remember how many advisors there were but I think 2.
- Changed production in: Bangkok from diplomat to phalanx, Chiengmai from catapult to chariot, Nakhon Sawan from marketplace to chariot

1560 BC:

- We discover Philosophy, start researching University
- Our trireme discovers an American settler on the 'French' continent.
- Thon Buri founded near Orleans. Why? No better spot nearby and useful to attack Orleans from later on. Start building phalanx.

1500 BC:

- Our trireme discovers American city of Philadelphia

1480:

- Civil disorder in Ubon Ratcha

1460 BC:

- Nong Khai founded in northeast Siam, starts building phalanx

1440 BC:

- 1 barbarian legion and leader land on North Cape, not too far away from Nong Khai
- Ubon Ratcha completes Settler, starts building Temple
- Catapults heading for Mongolia turn left to confront barbarians and protect Nong Khai

1420 BC:

- We discover University, start researching Religion

1400 BC:

- Our trireme discovers a Russian militia on 'French' continent
- Bangkok starts builing Caravan

Everything seems to be going fine with the empire. We have a big army heading for Mongolia and much more Chariots are being built. We have 3 settlers who are on their way to found new cities. We know 4 AI Civs. We need to start building a wonder (we are researching Religion so we can switch to JS Bach's soon) if we want Republic/Democracy. We could also send a few chariots to the French to attack them, they don't seem very strong. 1 small (but irritating) problem: a chariot of ours (near Samarkand) is surrounded by Mongol forces and can't get out.

Can't do my turn until Friday morning UK time as I have a job interview on Thursday and a band practice in the evening. It should be ready for stwils by the time he wakes up on Friday, unless of course he's impatient when he can go first ahead of me. Just let me know...

Looks good, addiv. I suppose the plan would be to take out the Mongols when the army gets there and then bring the troops back and send some if not all to the Western continent; all the while continuing to colonize Eastward and explore the coastlines. We now have at least a general idea of the position of Mongols, Americans, French, and Russians meaning we only need to find Greece (pink) and the respawned Aztecs (yellow.)

I note that the Mongols have at least one catapult roaming their territory. If it stays in that position, our blocked-in chariot will actually be in a good spot ;)

As for the West, Thon Buri would be in an excellent spot if it wasn't for that pesky French city :D We can probably get 2 more decent cities on that NE peninsula if we want a larger foothold over there as well. Note that there are at least 2 huts on that continent and the one is pretty close to us if we wanted to load something into one of the triremes being built and grab it before one of the AIs do.

As our explorations have gone further West, I've broken the map in half now. I included the demographics on this one just for the hell of it; we're still only living to age 21 but at least we've cut back to 6.6 kids :D Also, we're only 2nd in population, probably to the Americans with their size 9 "World's Best City" :rolleyes:

pdescobar,

Your maps are awesome! And a big help to those of us playing, and I'm sure to those who may not be playing but following along.

Thanks.

stwils:goodjob:

Fairly quiet turns. A few more highways built. Army en route. Two more cities founded. A bit more discovered.

1400 BCE pre-start
* Changed production in Ubon Ratcha from Temple to Militia and bought Militia (to quell unrest).
* Moved worker in Thon Buri so that we have shield production spare.
* Put entertainer in Rayong back to work!

1380 BCE
* Barbarians near Nong Khai destroyed.
* Militia forified in Ubon Ratcha and production (we have none spare until Settler arrives) switched to temple.
* Assorted forces and settlers heading for Mongolia.

1360 BCE
* Our population now exceedes 700,000
* Chariot built in Hat Yai. Production switched to Trireme.
* Irrigator near Da Nang now building road.

1340 BCE
* First of our new chariots arrives next to Mongolia and fortifies.

1320 BCE
* New city of Chianthaburi founded freeing up support from Ubon Ratcha.

1300 BCE
* Our population now exceedes 800,000

1280 BCE
* We discover Religion and start researching Democracy.
* City of Trat founded.

1260 BCE
* Add new wing to palace.
* Everything still flooding round to Mongolia.

1240 BCE
* Nothing remarkable.

1220 BCE
* Our population now exceedes 900,000.
* Trireme production at Lop Buri switched to Temple.

1200 BCE
* Trireme exploring south-east of continent 2.
* Settler moved onto intended city site south south east of Trat (shield grassland, optimum distance from Trat). Next player please build city here stariaghtaway! There will be room for one more in the chain before Mongolia.

We're doing well.

Anyone who thinks that looking at the "Retirement Graph" is cheating should NOT follow this link!

Meanwhile, here's the game save: siam1200.zip

Pdescobar, how do you take those enormous screenshots? I've heard of some program that takes screenshots with special stuff like screenshot every five minutes and stuff like that. Do you use it or do you use PrtSc button? I don't know if you can use it in DOS, though.

I wish I was good enough to join games like this... I need more practise ;)

Here's how you get the practice, Brainly.
This way you can see a little bit of all sorts of playing styles, and maybe adapt some of them to form your own.

I'm sure we have plenty of room for another player!
:cool:

Top Bottom