Tides of Crimson mod - Game 1

And I'm done. Went one turn over, just to get a few things done that I thought needed doing.
Spoiler (T)urn(L)og(D)on't(R)ead :

170 AD
Why are Stewards irrigating Grassland + Plains in areas which aren't short of food?!? Reassigned to mining
Troops redeployed: Rangers to the font, Spirits stay home as garrisons, backed up by Dancers
Builds reassigned; Towns below Pop7 should not be building pop-costing units, they shoud be growing to Pop8+...
Nassu isn't a great spot for Pandaren-builds any more, being so far from the borders -- but it still has no infrastructure! Let's give it some Culture, maybe a Barracks, to build pop-costing units. The Well of Ashengral seems to fit the bill nicely...
Ankor needs its Marsh draining, so Stewards would be better than Pandarens here...
Ionkor needs to be moved to the coast (where I was chopping: that was the whole point of chopping!) and Redemption Isle just needs to be removed, so they're set to Pandaren/Steward...
And why hasn't any of the Frostling territory been connected to our trade-net yet?!? We need those Silks!
Coldstorm Keep evac'd: we need to move on Icecrown Valley, get this war finished
In the meantime, our idle Explorer can go map the Rama's coast...
IBT
WoodElves recruit Lizards to fight the Skaven

171 AD
Rangers bomb Icecrown
Hunter Elder kills 2/3 Sheep + redlined Bison, trains a new Apprentice, and captures a Mule!
Remaining Hunters moved in, town set to build a Steward
We still haven't got an Embassy with Gal, so I do that (57g), since we can afford it
Too early to start cash-rushing Frostling Stewards and Pandarens, though...
Need to MM Dem to avoid a riot: still only overpopulation-unhappiness, not WW -- and the imminent Banshee will take care of that...
IBT
Dem --> Lunar Well
Ashen --> Spirit for garrisoning
Ankor --> Watermill

172 AD
New Maize sent to Kal
Rangers reduce Bison and Wolf in Benkasing, Apprentices kill them.
And with that, RemG has been properly exiled!
He has 2 towns left that I can see, but neither are a threat to us, so I won't sign peace yet, just in case of flips...
We now have a few Rama units scattered through our land, but am I bovvered...?
High Elves are looking far too flush with cash, so I relieve Dath of 788 g + 45 GPT, in exchange for Devotion (which does not help him)
IBT
Frostlings and Ramas sign PT, and the Ellies start heading south again
Dem --> Fort Redivarde (we'll need it for the next couple of wars...)
Nord --> Fishery
Jenova --> 2T Spirits
NIghtglades --> 3T Spirits

173 AD
Our victorious forces also begin the long journey south, to start beating up on the Beasts
Steward rushed in Winterhaven, and town MM'd to riot, to avoid starvation
IBT
We can build Metals Camp?!? But where?
Winterhaven --> Steward (once the riot is over)
Renoa --> Spirit
Ramas begin Tower of Mirhlaz

174 AD
Our Explorer finally meets the Burning Legion, on an island SE of the Ramas. And they are completely backwards, not even knowing Mining, Inundation or Writing yet! How on Azura did they build the Walls of Esengar...? An Embassy costs us a mere 51g
Hmm, High Elves + Ramas just learned Alchemy...
IBT
Sargaros complains about our Explorer. Don't push your luck, chum(p)
Ashen --> ScholarsQ

175 AD
Stewards now improving our road-network
Troops still moving south...
GAME SAVED
Sell Inundation(!) to the Legion for 193g. Selling an RoP as well gets us their remaining 39g (and makes them Polite!)
IBT
Skaven want MA vs. Lizards! Not yet, but soon. In the meantime, we sell them an RoP for 4gpt + 6g

176 AD
Start gathering troops near Khyronia
IBT
Magri wants an RoP: he'll pay .. erm... nothing
Satyr Worker out of Khyronia, bringing it down to Pop1!
RoP cancelled with Ramas, which will let us boot them when we want to
Dwarves begin Glade Shrine!

177 AD
Zzz...
IBT
Zzz...

178 AD
Start moving Stewards + Mules south to improve Kal
Ranger pillages Wheat-road between Rama towns
IBT
Nassu --> Lunar Well

179 AD
SCI% to 10% for Edu in 1T + 128 gpt
IBT
Edu learned, SCI% back up to 70% for Astro in 9T
Definale --> Watermill (8T before the chop...)
Renoa --> Barracks

180 AD
Pandaren rushed in Ionkor (99g)
Steward rushed in Redemption Isle (57g)
IBT
Dem, Nassu --> Treant
CapeB --> Shipyard

181 AD
Pandaren moved to planned site
Steward begins roading Agatte
Pandaren rushed in Coldstorm (117g)
Steward rushed in Winterhaven (57g)
GAME SAVED
Handover

Research:

We just learned Education, and have a monopoly on it (we might actually be tech-leader now!). You can almost certainly get Alchemy + gold from the Ramas for it right now (Bridha wanted about 750g for Alchemy straight up), but it might be worth holding onto it for another couple of turns, to see if anyone comes up with anything else that you might be able to trade for.

Expansion:

I've left you a Pandaren near the ruins of Redemption Isle and Ionkor, at the mouth of the river on the NE coast, on the tile where our next town should be founded (actually where the Pandaren I set to build in Redemption Isle should have been sent in the first place, mumble grumble). You will get another Pandaren from Coldstorm Keep over the next interturn, which I would recommend sending to found a town on the Horses (where there is a Dancer waiting) north of Winterhaven.

Builds/military plans:

I have queued up the next builds in Renoa, Winterhaven and Moonhaven, so you shouldn't need to worry too much about those towns, and I would recommend using a similar build-queue for the 2 new towns as well (i.e. Lunar Well to pop the borders -- rather than sacrificing our maintenance-free Mules! -- ChiefsGuild to reduce corruption, [Water]mill to boost productivity, ScholarsQ for research, Warehouse if needed for Pop8, then Fishery if Coastal -- or Barracks if inland).

Don't bother building mil-units in mid-/north Frostland, just set those town-Governors to "Emphasise Food" and leave them to grow for now. Once Renoa and Winterhaven Moonhaven have finished their Barracks, they can start building vet Spirits to garrison all our northern territories (and free up those Rangers to fight AI-landings, or head south).

You will see I've started building Treants in Dem + Nassu. These are intended as border-garrisons against Amazon sneak-attacks, so should be sent to Kal + Nightglades (+ Ankor). If Kerri remains passive (or if we can 'persuade' her to help fight the Beasts + Lizards + Ramas), we can use those Treants as stack-anchors for our advance into Rama territory instead. It is still really important to keep Kal, Nassu + Dem as large as possible, though: if necessary, consider merging native Stewards into those core-towns, to get them up to Pop13 a bit quicker (and save us some unit-maintenance!). Any new Wheat + Maize supplies should also be sent to these towns.

CapeB is building a Shipyard in preparation for building a small stack of vet Explorers, for bombarding the Rama's mainland coastal towns (this is preferable to having Ballistae slowing down our fast attack-stacks), and then shipping units over to their island-towns. Once CapeB reaches Pop13 as well, we can switch it to building our better ships ("Corsas"?).

Our southern Barracks-towns can pretty much keep building whatever units they're currently building. Maybe just take a look at them each time they grow, to see if they can now build a more advanced unit (Spirit --> Dancer --> Ranger) without too much wastage. But please don't build (or allow the Governator to choose to build!) any pop-costing military units (Banshees, Treants) in any towns which (1) are still under Pop7, and/or (2) don't have a Barracks, and/or (3) don't have the food-supply available to regrow faster than they'll build the unit!

I have not declared on the Beasts yet, because I didn't have enough Rangers in range to be sure of doing sufficient damage to the Gor(s?) before we attack with our Hunters. There are still 3-4 Rangers en route to the stack, but once they arrive, you can probably set off the fireworks. Khyronia just built a Satyr Worker, bringing it down to Pop1, which means that it will autoraze if we capture it before it regrows (or pops its borders) -- but this may not be a problem, because the coastal Hill 1SE is a better site anyway (the Pandaren being built in Ankor can do that; there is already a Steward building a road along the Hills from Ashengral).

Once the Beasts are evicted, you can choose whether to move against Hajipur immediately, or bypass it to go after Tail Town. If you go for the Ramas first, definitely sign up Kerri to help, and give her an RoP to get her units into Rama territory quickly, so she can do some damage (and weaken herself)...

Terrain improvements:

I have started moving Stewards + Mules (back) to Kalimsa, because that town is currently our highest priority for terrain-improvement, to speed up the SotS build. All its still-unimproved-but-workable tiles should get a road + mine, starting with the Grass + Plains, then the Hills, then the Mountain.

Once Khyronia is ours (or gone!), we can set our Stewards to clearing + roading all that southern Marsh, to make more workable tiles (and room for Settlement) in that direction. Jungle can be Settled on directly, so that's a lower priority for clearance -- but we do also need to start building a road south from Jenova towards Tail Town...

Save is below. I wish you good Hunting... ;)

Brainfart edited (March 2nd)

Attachments

• ToC-SG1 MoonElves, 181 AD.SAV
    241.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@tjs282 great job as usual TJS!

I like the idea of a domination victory. Settings for that are default, which is 66% of the world from what I remember (land + coast tiles).

Thanks for setting build queues for us in some towns, def makes it easier. And glad thể Frostlings are out of our hair for now. I too am hoping for a Dragon lol.

I need to get better at using specific units for garrison like you do (spirits), and using others for advancing into enemy territory. I'll try my best to follow your example on that one. Sorry about the additional irrigation in higher growth towns, I think I was just trying to make up for the lack of growth once we get into using mined hill and mountain tiles. 🐥

When you say ballistae will slow our advance down, what do you mean? Believe they move 2 per turn just like the other units, so just hoping to understand. ;)

Thanks for the detailed descriptions, and I'll get in my 10 turns soon!

If, like most of the other Tier1 siege-units in ToC, Ballistae also have R=1(?), then they will have to be wheeled right up to the town walls to be used -- whereas Rangers can start bombarding from 1 tile further out, i.e. 1 turn sooner, per each town attacked during our campaign.

Ah gotcha. Yes that's correct, the Ballista only have range of 1 but FP of 2. ;). 17 Ranged attack and additional firepower! Probably a personal preference, but I still find them valuable, even alongside upgraded Rangers <>. ;)

@tjs282

Man these turns take me forever, I'm thinking too hard lol

Turn 182
Nature's Steward done in Winterhaven, will be sent to mining nearby grassland. Started on a Lunar Well.
Pandaren Settle done in Coldstorm Keep, sent to build city north of Winterhaven. Ionkor founded on horses (usually don't like settling on resourses but I'm trying to listen tm your advice, it's usually a good idea. =)
Ashengral finishes a ranger that will be sent to attack the Beastmen
Pytonia founded NW or Winterhaven

Turn 183
Jenova's ridge finished a Spirit swithced to Scholar's quarters
Quake spell produced in Demasus! Transferred to Jenova Ridge

Turn 184
Ranger Reinforcements arriving in SW of our borders. Ready to launch an attack on the Beastmen

Turn 185
Scholars Quarters produced in Jenova ridge, switched to Ranger <>
Shipyard Done in Cape Bertonia, time to get some ships out!
Lunar well done in Feraias, switched to Chetians Guild
Attacked Beastmen city of Khyronia, city autorazed, mul captured
Treant built in Nightglades, switched to another Treant

Turn 186
Traded contact w/ wood elves and Education to Rama's for Alchemy
Traded contact w/ burning legion, Education, and 10 gold to Amazonians for Invention
Ramas have a ton of Elephant Scouts around Hajpur, but going to enlist the Amazonians anyway to try to destroy them...
She would not accept joining us in the war. Nothing we could give her would suffice! =( Might have to pull my units back from Rama territory until further notice
Lizardment watned us to ally with them vs the Skaven, but I declined

Turn 187
Demasus finished building Treant , switched to Metals Camp
Settler complete in Ankor whil , starting on BArracks
Began Cheftian's Guild in Ashengral, and Silk Factory in Moonhaven

Turn 188
Wheat Stalk in AnkorWhil will be sent to Kalimsa

Turn 189
Started on Watermill in Ashengrall

zzz until Turn 191

HAND OVER!

Attachments

• ToC-SG1 MoonElves, 191 AD.SAV
    247.4 KB · Views: 13
Ramas have a ton of Elephant Scouts around Hajpur, but going to enlist the Amazonians anyway to try to destroy them...
She would not accept joining us in the war. Nothing we could give her would suffice!
The AI won't ever sign an MA before you've declared war on the would-be mutual foe yourself. And until I DL the save, I can't tell from your log whether you actually declared on the Ramas already?

If you didn't, that's fine: that will give me some time to bring our Dancers down from Dem, to test out their Elephant-Charming skills...

The AI won't ever sign an MA before you've declared war on the would-be mutual foe yourself. And until I DL the save, I can't tell from your log whether you actually declared on the Ramas already?

If you didn't, that's fine: that will give me some time to bring our Dancers down from Dem, to test out their Elephant-Charming skills...
Yikes, oh I didn't know that. No, I had not declared war on them yet. Good to know!

Spoiler (T)urn(L)og(D)on't(R)ead :

192 AD
Treant to Kal -- which is looking a lot better!
rSpirits + attack-stack moved into New Dem
Dancers from Dem to Ashen + Jenova (vSpirits to Dem)
Time to tell Bridha to get off our land. Drat, he does!
IBT
Dem --> 3T-Ballistae
Jenova --> 3T-Dancers
Renoa --> 2T-Spirits

193 AD
I give Bridha the bad news...
Dancers and Rangers bombard all the Rama-units within range
eRanger kills Ellie
Hunter Elder kills Deer, trains Apprentice
Stack moves forwards to Hajipur
Banshee kills Ellie, summons Half-Dragon
Half-Dragon kills Ellie in Haji, exposing Yodha
Dancer demolishes Trebux in the frozen north
Crom has a boat eading for our NE coast, so I redeploy units to respond to any landings. He has nothing we want right now, so I'll wait to make peace until we need an "Ally" to attack the Lizards
Kerri accepts a mere 16 gpt + RoP, to join our war
IBT
Deer kills exposed Dancer
Beasts land a Beastigor + SiegeCart near Ionkor
Nassu --> SchQtr
Feraias --> Watermill

194 AD
Ranger hunts venison, avenging our Dancer
Dancers + Rangers bombard approaching Ellie, eRanger kills it
Explorers fail to hit Schooner sailing towards Nordrakil
Hunter Elder retreats to NewDem
Half-Dragon redlines killing Ellie in Haji, retreats as well
Apprentices fortify until Haji is clear of Ellies
Dancers bomb Beastly units, Rangers kill them
Can't reduce SCI% and still get Gunpowder in 1T, oh well...
IBT
Bridha finds a friend in Sargaros -- against the Amazons!
Deer retreats from rSpirit on Stone-Mountain
Exploring Ranger in Ramaland fends off 2 Purohitas, but succumbs to an Ellie
Gunpowder learnt --> Chemistry (8T, we need more Scholars!)
Winterhaven --> Well
Ankor --> Pandaren
CapeB --> Explorer

195 AD
Explorers deal minor Damage to Schooner, Calormen does nothing
GAME SAVED
Dancers Charm Ellie, eRanger kills it
Banshee kills Yodha, retreats to heal
eHunter retreats, eHunter dies against next Yodha
Silk-Factory build in Moonhaven (low priority!) switched to Barracks
rSpirit kills redlined Deer, no promotion
IBT
Damaged Schooner retreats, but another appears
Sargaros offers to renew our RoP. Naahhh. But if it becomes necessary, I could get him to betray the Ramas for a few techs...
Dath buys Edu for 177g + 4gpt, and I throw him an RoP to make him Polite
Nassu --> Watermill
Ashen --> SchQtr
Pytoria --> ChiefsGuild

196 AD
Rangers bomb Yodha to 2HP, exposing Chakra
2 rApprentices fail to kill Chakra (1 retreats, 1 dies)
rSpirits move to block incoming Amazons near Haji
IBT
RoP renewed with Magri
rSpirit near Haji kills Deer, promoted
Ionkor --> ChiefsGuild
Grove of Secrets defects to us! Awesome!

197 AD
Ship-stack knocks 1 HP off Schooner
Rangers bomb Hajipur
Halfdragon + Banshee take out both defenders, and burn down the town
Units with spare MP move onto ruins, and further forwards to coastal Jungle next to the river, Pandaren moves to found New Hajipur inland and upriver
I have a really evil thought: instead of us fighting the Lizards as well, let's get them on our side: Morgor takes 4gpt + RoP for MA against Bridha
Spirits move to block Mountain-passes on chokepoint, preventing the Amazons from capturing Tail Town from Bridha before we do...
And while I'm at it, I sign a MA/PT with Crom, throwing in Righteousness in exchange for 43g + 6gpt
IBT
Amazons realise they cannot pass, so retreat. We can do this dance all day...
Mount J --> Warehouse
Ashen --> Steward (to clear its Marshes)
Nightglades --> 2T-Spirits
Beasts + WoodElves begin GladeShrine

198 AD
Stack assembled on Mountain-choke
New Nassu founded 4SE of Jenova
Second chokepoint re-opened
IBT
Amazons head back into our territory...

199 AD
Stewards rushed (pennies) in Coldstorm, Benkasing, Icecrown
IBT
Ramas take Tail Town!
More Amazons incoming!
Nassu --> Treant
Coldstorm, Benkasing, Icecrown --> Stewards
Definale --> Calormen
Kal --> CattleFarm
Ferais --> Warehouse

200 AD
Dancer charms Purohita, Spirit dies failing to kill him; Rangers shoot him to death instead
GAME SAVED
Handover:

Research:

We are definitely tech-leader now. Although the Amazons and HighElves both know Chiv (useless to us), we know Gunpowder + Astro over them.

I have not changed the tech-path I set last time: we are beelining Higher Order for Elohim, followed by High Magic for Sorceresses. If anyone gets Mage Theory before we start on it, trade for it immediately if you can, and switch Dem to building the Cathedral of Truth (= free Shrines!)

Town-management:

Build-queues have been set in most towns still putting up buildings -- including Kal, which just finished our Spire o.t. Sunset (hooray!). As much as possible, try and set a (core) town's worked tiles so that it's continuing to grow while building efficiently. For example, right now Dem is doing 3-turn Ballistae at 28 spt to avoid too much shield-wastage, but once it gets to Pop13, it should be able to net 36 spt, enough for 1-turn Dancers (or a 3-turn Banshee, once it's 4T away from filling its food-box).

Note that I turned off the Silk Factory build in Moonhaven (for now) in favour of a Barracks, so that it can help garrison our northern towns with vSpirits. Right now that's more important than expensive Small Wonders which tie up Moonhaven's shields for 30+ turns. We can build the Silk Factory later, once it's bigger it has all the basic buildings, and all its 2-FPT tiles have been roaded + mined.

You will also notice that we now own the (formerly Amazonian) town of Grove of Secrets. Don't worry, we're not at war with Kerri (yet...) -- it flipped to us (hooray)! I want to build Stewards(Amazon) out of it, down to Pop1 if possible, so every time it finishes one, you will need to go in and re-set its worked tiles to net-zero excess food.

Once Coldstorm's down to Pop1 and has put up its queued buildings, it could build a few Pandarens to fill in the northern holes.
ToC-SG1 Dotmap tundra-holes.png

The other Tundra-trash are slow-building Stewards just to give them something to do. They're not really worth developing though, so I wouldn't bother putting any (more?) buildings in them.

Generally, please let (Barracks-)towns building units just keep on building those units.

Exceptions are New Dem, and New Haji, which I only just noticed (from the screenshot below!) are building rSpirits: they shouldn't be doing that! I'd suggest switching both those builds to Lunar Wells (then Chiefts Guild, Watermill, etc.!), and build vSpirits out of one of the nearby Barracks-towns (ideally at either 7 spt or 10-11 spt, please!) to garrison those new towns.

Also, losing NATIVE pop-points from any (core) town which still has 2-fpt tiles available to work is generally a Bad Idea! So please build Banshees or Treants ONLY in (core) towns which:
(1) have a Barracks
AND
(2) have reached Pop13 (or which cannot grow further due to food-limitation)
OR
(3) where the build will be completed after the town is due to grow

Workers:

In general, towns should be improved working outwards from the capital (i.e. in order of increasing corruption), and tiles should be prioritised based on how much raw FPT they produce (most --> least).

So right now I've got Stewards + Mules around Kal, MountJ and Ferais, but once Moonhaven has finished its Barracks and gone on Spirit-building duty, you could move Steward-stacks to start roading/chopping Forests into buildings in Renoa (e.g. Windmill, Trading Post).

Grass/Plains (2F,0S) tiles should be roaded + mined; tiles giving at least 2F,1S could instead be roaded + irrigated for faster growth (we can forest/ chop/ mine them later, if we want/need to).

Down south, we really need to get the Marsh (and then the Jungle) cleared near Ashen and Jenova, because those towns' growth is now getting severely constrained by lack of excess food (and Jenova is also impinging on Dem).

However, it's also very important to get war-roads built to New Hajipur and then Tail Town. There are 3(?) Stewards right now on a "Build road to New Haj" order: once in New Haj, they should team up to road the Hill + Mountain (where our stack is waiting for our few -- Wheeled! -- Ballistae, among other things) + Jungle, towards Tail Town...

Military plans:
ToC-SG1 how goes the war 200 AD.png

Tail Town is now in Rama hands because we signed an MA with Morgor just as the first Rama units reached it (tee hee hee!) -- but before you attack it, you'll want all the spare Rama units emptied out of it.

Next turn, the Ramas will either head NE into the Jungle, or (more likely) east onto the Mountain (=better defence). A Purohita or Deer might kill our lone Dancer before she escapes, but that doesn't matter (would actually be helpful, so the Amazons don't turn around again). I think it's very unlikely that they will try attacking our stack on the other Mountain. Rather, I expect them to bypass it, and head for New Haj, which I have deliberately left looking like (very!) soft target.

Let them come! It will take most of their units 4 turns to reach New Haj from Tail Town, while our Rangers bombard them mercilessly -- and by the time they're in a position to threaten New Haj, the Amazon stacks will have arrived to defend it for us!

In the meantime, our ships can bomb Tail Town, and our good attackers (Apprentices, Banshee, HalfDragon) can move to conquer it, and then carry on to Ramganj. At that point, we will have control of that isthmus, so you can let whatever remains of the Amazon stacks through, to dash themselves uselessly against Remjaki and points south/east -- then close off the land-route again (with e.g. Spirits on Mountains), and mop up what's left of the Ramas after the Amazons are done with them.

With any luck, that should also weaken the Amazons enough that once the Rama mainland is ours, we can pivot to attacking Kerri's homeland without fear...

Attachments

• ToC-SG1 MoonElves, 200 AD.SAV
    251.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@tjs282 you absolutely amaze me with your attention to detail and ability to put into words what you are thinking.
It's always such an interesting read for those turns that you play. Thank you!

Nice setup, and I'm glad you've got the tech tree figured out so I don't have to think anymore about that. 🤣. Nice to have some half drahoms to play with now too, I feel invincible. ;).

Any desire to switch Spheres or are you good?

Any desire to switch Spheres or are you good?
I think we're good. The only gameplay justification for switching Spheres is to improve our economy, but we're not exactly suffering financially right now!

Obviously, I'd prefer to use a Sphere which gives the commerce-bonus, and/or raises the slider rate-cap (to 100%, ideally), and/or gives Communal corruption, but the 'closest' Sphere on the tree which does any of those (IIRC?) is Air Sphere, which is still some way into the third age (IIRC?).

So (IMHO!) switching Spheres is not something we really need to consider doing for some time -- if ever. (Also, we haven't even got our first Earth Elemental yet!)

Finally got to this...

Turn 200
We love the priestess day celebrated in Jenova Ridge!
Ranger built in Jenova ridge, will send south prepare to invade Frostlings
Switched to Scholar's Quarters in Cape Bertonia

Turn 201
Wood Elves declared war on Amazonians
Moonhaven produces Barracks

Turn 202
Moving Earth Elemental up from Jenova ridge to join backup an weak lines behind the invasion of Ramayana city of Tall Town
Just realized none of my Ballista can get through the deep jungles, so will need to cut them down soon to keep forcing my way southwest
Killed a Ramayanian Schooner near Tall Town
Sent a Stack into Tall Town, experienced 2-3 casualties, but otherwise in very good shape

Turn 203
Wood elves wanted an alliance against the Amazonians, but I refused... for now...

Turn 204
Ramayanians declared war on Amazonians
Amazonians tried to get me into a War with the Wood Elves, but I'm not quite ready yet
Cast Quake on a stack of 2 Elephant scouts trying to march into our territory through a mountain pass near Tall Town (there was a crevice that I didn't see)

Turn 205
Beastmen just declared war on us out of nowhere!
Cattle farm built in Kalisma!

Turn 206
I'm now advancing on Ramanj Mandi (Ramayanian town)

Turn 207
Ramayanians begged for peace treaty, I said no
Started of Tower of Mirlahz in Nassudru, feel free to change if you wish!

Turn 208
I got too close to Ramanj Mandi and took some fire from their Trebuchet-like siege units. =(
A purohita cut down one of our Apprentices through my carelessness, now we have a Wocaw we gotta deal with! So sorry!

Turn 209
I've never seen this behavior before, but the AI Ramaynians took some pot shots at me from Ramanj Mandi with siege units, then promptly moved to retreat further inland to defend their more 'inner' cities. They then moved the Wocaw and Purohita that were a little bit further North, down South to Ramanj Mandi to help defend it. Very interesting strategy.
Able to take over Ramanj Mandi but took a ton of casualties, lost about 5 Rangers trying to shoot at and then straight attacking the Wocaw.

Your turn! Sorry for the mess!

Attachments

• ToC-SG1 MoonElves, 210 AD.SAV
    257.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Better (de)late than never! ;)

And two Rama towns taken, that's some nice work! Don't worry about Ranger-losses, so long as you've kept building replacements, we should be fine. So we lost an Apprentice as well, no biggie ... We still have the Elder, right?

The Beasts hate us because we already warred with them (although I can't remember now who started it) and razed one of their towns -- but their new war-dec is probably not something we need to worry about just yet...

And it's great news that Kerri's fighting someone else as well now! That will make things so much simpler later on... :evil: :sniper:

Bit confused by all the references to the Frostlings in your turn-log, though :crazyeye: (I mean, it's been a while, but) didn't we already finish them off!?

Or did we only exile RemG, rather than execute him...? I forget... :old:

Last edited:
Yep still have the Elder!
Ah no wonder the beastmen hate us lol.

I meant the Ramas everytime I referenced the Frostlings. Sorry for the confusion. Updated my prior post. I don't remember seeing any white tigers or arctic wolves running around, so pretty sure Frostlings are indeed dead!

I gottit, BTW -- just in case that wasn't clear!

Played 7(?) turns on Sunday evening, and we now own Visnagar, Remjaki, and Wanaparthay, with 3 Dancers -- and our first Fledge of the game, yaaay! -- lined up outside Buruma(? The town just south of Wana, anyway).

Kerri signed a PT with Bidhra, but it was very short-lived (<1T!), because apparently she likes our money more than she likes him... :evil:

Last edited:
Wow 3 cities in 7 turns? I need to eat what you're eating. 🤣

Amazing regarding the Fledge. Let's get that thing to a Drake! 🐥

Ah so Keri is siding with us against Bidhra now?

Wow 3 cities in 7 turns? I need to eat what you're eating. 🤣
We're eating Indian Ramayanian. It's delicious ;)
Amazing regarding the Fledge. Let's get that thing to a Drake! 🐥
Will do, once I have it near a convenient Barracks -- but right now it's our strongest unit, so I want/need it fighting, not wasting half a dozen turns retreating all the way back to our core.

Need to finish Mage Theory(?) before we can make it a Drake, though. So you'll have that pleasure.
Ah so Keri is siding with us against Bidhra now?
No, not "now" -- again!

I signed an MA+RoP during my last set, which just finished (20T later) during this set -- and then she ended the MA by accepting Bidhra's desperate plea for peace.

So I paid her again, to karry on killin'. This time I also tossed her some Gold (resource), which is useless to her (AFAICT), but reduced our GPT payment.

Last edited:
And I'm done...
Spoiler (T)urn (L)og (D)on't (R)ead :
209 AD
Workers:
Bit upset to find our southern roading crew all diverted to clearing Jungle -- especially when building roads would have got our Ballistae to the front already, and draining Marshes would have been quicker than chopping Jungle...
Towns:
And oh my gods, why are Banshees being built everywhere?!? Were the Governators allowed to choose the builds?!?
Dem MM'd and switched to 1T-Dancers (Pop13 in 8T)
Conversely, Nassu now has loads of food available; ToM-build switched to Banshee
Moonhaven switched to Ranger (wastes 5 shields, but better that than shrinking it to Pop6!)
Renoa switched to Windmill (1T) for a shield-boost
Kalimsa's Duct-build switched to Banshee; it doesn't need to grow past Pop13 yet (ScholQ and ToM also queued up)
CapeB has no Barracks, but does have a Shipyard! Treant-build therefore switched to Calormen (1T, wastes 6 shields)
Jenova Ridge and Ashengraal do not have the excess food to be building Banshees yet! (both need to be drained and de-Forested first) -- but these builds are so far along that switching to a Treant is the only better option (gives them more turns to build their food reserve to replace the soon-to-be-lost pop-point)
Ankor set to build another Pandaren (Pop8 in 2T)
TailTown + Ramganj --> Stewards
Spoiler That looks so much nicer :
1686997202060.png

OK, on with the war...
It's clear why our assault-troops are on the Mountain outside Ramganj, but it's unfortunate that they're now blocking Kerri's troops' southward progress
Best I can do with what moves I have left on this turn is:
Charm + bomb the Trebux-stack near Ramganj (3 Yoddhas lose D-value, the 4th loses 1HP)
Start auto-bombing Visnagar in preparation for that invasion (1 ship sunk, next turn will start on the defenders)
Shuffle Rangers and Dancers around the northern Tundra in preparation to repel Beastly landings; Rangers bomb Beastly boat off our NE shore (-1HP)
Move Spirits to block potential High Elf landing in the unclaimed Jungle near New Haji (and block Kerri from retreating!)
Rama Mules from Ramganj sent to build road north along tiles (Mountain/ Jungle, ugh...) we control
All healthy Dancers + Rangers sent south
Earth Elemental also sent south -- our strongest unit should be fighting at the front, not guarding a currently useless Pop1 town!
Diplo:
Check F4 and discover that joking about my age was on point: RemG is still alive, and we are still at war with the Frostlings!
Since it is "doubtful" that we can get his second town (Frozen Pond Grove) for a PT (and offfering gold will result in instant refusal), my terms are instead Chiv, all his gold (3g!) and MAs vs. Bhidra + Crom -- which he accepts (the fool!) So either someone else is going to kill him for us, or we get free WHappies (again) if (when!) he signs a PT with either of our mutual foes
Spend a little cash investigating the Frostling towns; they're (re?)building the Water Node + Tower. He is sooo gonna die...
GAME SAVED
IBT
Amazons and Wood Elves sign PT. Dammit...
Beastly boat boldly bails backwards. C'mon ya wimp, it was only a scratch!
Lizards sign MA with High Elves vs Wood Elves!
Mountain Dwarves sign MA with Amazonians vs. Ramas!
CapeB --> Windmill (8T, until I give it back some SPT)
Renoa --> 2T-Rangers
Moonhave --> Wealth (to direct imminent chop-shields to Pytoria)

Amazons build Glade Shrine! Thanks Kerri, we'll have that later!
Amazons begin Tower of Mirlahz (Green Isle)
High Elves begin TowMir (Trusthinder) and Tenethome Stronghold (Yerz' Khenal)
Ramas begin TowMir (Remjaki) -- during a multi-front war, which they're losing -- real smart thinking there, Bidhra!
Beasts begin TenStr (Pipeline)
Wood Elves begin TenStr (???)
Mountain Dwarves begin TowMir (Khez'Antar) and TenStr (Bronzeforge)

210 AD
Injured units bomb, healthy units kill Yodha+Treb-stack near Ramganj, netting us a new Half-Dragon and Apprentice!
But my stupidity leaves the Elder exposed, so the new rApprentice + vDancer + vSpirit move to cover; this leaves Ramganj unguarded, but we should be OK for 1 turn (it's anyway already extremely flip-risky)
Visna auto-bombed, showing at least 3(?) Yoddhas defending. Small stack of healthy Dancers and Rangers loaded from Mountain onto Explorer for landing (next turn)
Since the way is now clear for the Amazons to move south, I open the chokepoint at Tail Town again

Looking for possible trades (the old-fashioned way!):
Amazons have 219g (+79 GPT!), which Kerri will pay for Gunpowder; she also knows Shadow Works (useless for us, but required to advance) which she will swap for Astro (=Liberators)
Dwarves have 143g (and +21 GPT), all of which Megri would give for Astro or Gunpowder (even though those techs do nothing for him!). So for that price, I sell him Shadow Works instead -- which is just as useless (hee hee hee)
Lizards have 130 (but 0 GPT), which Morgor forks over for Devotion
High Elves, Frostlings, Wood Elves know nothing new, and have (almost) no gold, all at 0 GPT
The Legion are utterly backwards (still in Ancient Era!) and have only 4g + 0GPT
We are now at 3149g + 47 GPT income, cha-CHING!
IBT
Stack in Rama territory bombed by passing Trebux, but no attacks or deaths

211 AD
Injured units from Trebux-killing Hunter-Elder stacks retreat to Mountain south of Ramganj, but not before they all bomb incoming Yodha + Chakra + 2 Trebux
Banshee + Dancer finish off those units, and retreat to safety, leaving path open for Kerri
Rangers + Dancer land in Forest by Visna
IBT
Sargoros complains about our Explorer off his northern coast. Chill out, buddy -- you're not on our ($)hit-list yet...
Someone drops a Quake(?) on Visna, killing a Yoddha. Cheers, whoever that was! (Megri?)
Dem --> TowMir (20T, but we'll be able to convert it to the FreeDucts GW in 2T)
Nightglades --> Windmill

212 AD
Ships bomb Visna, Dancer kills Yodha, Ranger bombs Yoddha, Ranger kills Yodha, and Visna is ours!
Mount Jahdar switched to Watermill (1T, wastes 1s, but it doesn't need a Warehouse quite yet...)
Steward rushed in Tail Town (54g)
IBT
Amazons + Legion sign PT
Ramas + Lizards sign PT
Amazons kill Purohita for us
Nassu --> Banshee
Jenova --> Ranger
TailTown --> Pandaren (for moving the town north, to the lake)
MountJ --> ScholQ (3T, Pop7 in 6T, chop due in 4T)
Order restored in Ramganj (at Pop4)

213 AD
We begin naval bombardment of Wanaparthy
Steward rushed in Ramganj (81g)
Dem MM'd for 0 FPT + 44 SPT = TowMir in 15T. We might even make it...
IBT
Beasts want an audience! Crom won't give up any towns, but would give us a whole 93g (like, wow...) -- or an MA vs Bidhra, if we pay him 3 GPT. So I send the envoy packing
Kerri's asking-price for continued harassment of the Ramas has gone down to 7 GPT. Ta very much
We learn Higher Order! --> Forging (5T)
Tech-path reassigned to get us to Navi (Ports, Overseas Harbour) next, then Mage Theory (Cathedral of Truth) --> High Magic (Sorceresses, Spell Spires), Aerodynamics (Wyvern Castle) --> Battlefield Honor (Starfall Keep), and Herbal Med (yawn)
Definale --> Harbour (10T until I give it back the Gold-Hill)
Pytoria --> Watermill (10T, Pop6 in 2T)

214 AD
New Nassu founded 3 SW of Nordrakil
Kalimsa's Treant-build rushed (30-odd gold?), then switched to Elohim (due in 1T)
Green units move towards Remjaki, hoping we'll get there before the Amazons capture it...
IBT
Amazons kill another Purohita from Wanaparthy, and 2 Yodhas in Remjaki, leaving only Chakras visible for now
Winterhaven --> Watermill
Kalimsa --> ScholQ (1T after MM) (TenStr queued afterwards for zero corruption)

215 AD
At Remjaki:
Rangers bomb Chakras, Half-Dragons kill 2, Dancers kill 2 more and we get our first Fledge!
Elder kills injured Chakra, eApprentice kills another, and Wonder-full Remjaki is ours!
All units with spare MP moved in and fortified, Governator set to Emphasise Production and Manage Moods --> Steward
Bombardment has redlined Wanaparty's top Yodha, so Visna troops loaded onto Explorer, to get to it before the Amazons...
IBT
Dwarves fail to take Gibichpylam (=new Rama capital!)
Beasts land a Gor near Ionkor (luckily, I saw them coming, and already moved Rangers and Dancers to intercept)
Ramas want an audience. He'd give us his entire Treasury (44g + 25 GPT), but I'd rather have his towns, which he won't part with (not even the one he's about to lose, one way or another)...
High Elves want an RoP! I agree, exchanging Chem for Ethers (saves us researching an empty tech, allows us to offer Physics --> Higher Order later) and MAs vs. both the Ramas + Beasts
Resistance quelled in Remjaki!
Nordrakil --> Shipyard (8T)
Grove --> Steward (5T)

216 AD
Rangers + Dancer unloaded outside Wanaparthy, M=3 units moved from Remjaki to free Mountain -- forcing the Amazons to go the long way round
Remjaki evac'd, apart from redlined rDancer + healthy rRanger, Steward rushed
IBT
RoP renewed (for free) with Dwarves
Galli politely asks us to get off her lawn. I offer an RoP instead, which she accepts
Ramas + Amazons sign a PT! We can't be having that...
Remjaki --> Steward
Ionkor --> Warehouse
CapeB --> Explorer (3T, Pop8 in 1T)
Ashen --> Ranger
New Dem --> ChiefsG
Moonhaven --> Dancer

217 AD
Explorers + Rangers bomb Wanaparthy; 1 vDancer retreats, 1 dies; Apprentices kill Yoddhas, and Wanaparthay is ours! --> Steward
Units move in and load onto Explorer bound for Gibichpylam
Rangers poach redlined Deer near Remjaki
Amazons' retreat-route blocked near New Haj
Kerri accepts Gold and 18 GPT to renew her attack on the Ramas
Fledge flies south, kills Chakra in Bankura for promotion; 3 Dancers moved to adjacent Mountain for followup strikes next turn
GAME SAVED
Grove is only 1T from finishing its Steward, so all non-SPT-generating citz converted to Sorceresses for beakers
WW (presumably from Trebux-bombing and our troops on their territory) forces me to raise LUX% to 30% -- s'OK, we still have positive income
IBT
Dwarves land near Bankura: too late, Megri!
HIgh Elves + Wood Elves sign PT
2 Deer kill Beastmistress near Remjaki, and Dwarf-unit near Bankura
Beastmistress forces Deer to retreat
Ankor --> Pandaren
Grove --> Stewards
Visna deposes us! Will fix that in a minute, shame we lost the chop-shields though...
Nightglades --> ScholQ (2T)

218 AD
Explorers bomb new Yodha in Visna, Ranger kills him and retakes the town (+1g)
Units landed outside Gibi, capturing Mule
Fledge barely kills Yodha in Bankura! 1st Dancer retreats, 2nd Dancer kills remaining Chakra, promotes, and takes the town (1g, 3 Mules). All units moved in and fortified --> Steward
Last Dancer charms the Deear, Ranger from Wana shoots it (-1HP) -- the Dwarves should kill it next turn
Bankura's Mules retreat towards Wana
Road finally completed near Tail Town, joing our Rama Luxes to the rest of our territory (and vice versa)
Can't drop LUX% yet, but Forging is due in 1T: SCI% to 20% for +144 GPT
IBT
Dwarves kill Deer, Beasts kill High Elf unit near Horn Rock
Beasts + Frostlings sign PT, putting us back to war vs. RemG! Ta for the WHappies!
Legion + Amazonians sign MA vs. Ramas
Forging --> Mage Theory (4T @ SCI% = 70%, LUX% = 20%, +30GPT)
Coldstorm --> Pandaren (26T, Pop5 in 5T)
Feraias --> Shipyard (6T, Pop8 in 5T)

219 AD
All nearby Workers stacked in Tail Town, Pandaren rushed (126g)
Explorers + Calormen bomb Gibi
eApprentice kills Yodha, vRanger kills Yodha, Elder kills last Yodha, and Gibi is ours! Injured units moved in (it has a Barracks -- but the Fledge is still stuck on the mainland!)--> Pandaren
Bihdra flees to Alborahd, just ahead of our now-mostly-healed Remjaki stack
Bankura-stack mostly evac'd to adjacent Mountain, vDancer stays behind (Dwarves are blocking the Juhji road)
IBT
Deer kills Dancer in Remjaki
Beastmistress kills Deer
Tail Town abandoned
MountJ --> Barracks
Nightglades --> Ranger
Dwarves build TowMir (dammit)

220 AD
Talltales founded --> Well
Gibi evac'd
Alborahd captured (+31g, 3 Mules), Banshee summons another Half-Dragon!
Just noticed that Dwarves just captured Juhji as well, so with our victory, the Ramas are no more, and we can drop LUX% to zero (+96 GPT)!
New Jenova Ridge founded in northern Tundra --> Stewards
Dem switched to Aeveris Sanctuary (9T) for now, but Cathedral of Truth will be available in 3T...
GAME SAVED
Handover

The big news is that, with the fall of Alborahd on the last turn of my set (and the Dwarves' capture of Juhji on the interturn immediately prior), our war with the Ramas is over!

We are therefore now into the post-war tidy-up/consolidation phase. Since a picture is worth a 1000 of my words, I give you this...
ToC-SG1 Town planning 220 AD.png

The captured Rama towns were put under Governator-rule to maintain order as Resistors were quelled, but most towns now have sufficient garrisons to quell all remaining Resistance on this turn. The only exception is Gibi, which is currently rioting (my fault), but if you sail the nearby Explorers and their passengers back into town (they were evac'd before I captured Alborahd), it should also be pacified.

Settlement:

I already relocated Tail Town 1NE to the lakeshore, for Warehouse-free growth: it needs a Well, a ChiefsGuild and a Fishery (for which the nearby Jungles can be cleared, forested and then chopped). There is a native Pandaren just south of Talltales, and north of the Dyes. It should found a town on the Dyes (1 more Lux!) next turn. There is another Pandaren almost complete in Ankor, which should be sent to the soon-to-be-cleared coastal Marsh.

All the big Rama towns were also set to build Pandarens, both to reduce their Rama pop-points, and fill in those southern Cultural holes quickly, to discourage the AI-tribes from dropping their own Settlers off on this hard-won territory. We have more than enough gold for you to rush these over the next couple of turns, which I would recommend doing, then Settling on the filled purple ovals (prioritising coastal sites).

The captured towns can then switch to building Stewards(Rama) at net-zero/negative FPT, to bring their populations down further (put some shileds in the box, then cash-rush these builds as well!). I want to "Worker-disband" Wanaparthay (to move it 1W, where the Mules are currently) and possibly also Visnagar, to fill in the captured area more efficiently.

(Basically, that means building Pandarens/Stewards out of a town down to Pop1, then building a Steward at net-zero/negative FPT. Once the shield-box is full, you will be given the option to finish the build, destroying the town.)

All the new towns can simply be set to Emphasise Food and build Wealth, so we don't have to think about them too much.

Sacrificial Mules #1 + #2 are intended to pop the borders of Bankura and Remjaki, again to reduce the probability of speculative AI-colonist landings. Once the Mule-stack is finished chopping the Forest outside Wanaparthay (don't cash-rush this Pandaren until after the chop-shields come in!), one of them can be used to pop Ramganj's borders as well.

Techs/Wonders

Unfortunately we lost the race to Tower of Mirlahz by 5T(?), but I have queued up techs for the other remaining GWs. We will learn Mage Theory in 3T, at which point you should switch Demausus to Cathedral of Truth (free Shrines will improve Happiness, and increase the Cultural pressure on all our neighbours; Remjaki also has the Shrine-Happies boosting GW!). We have plenty of time to put up Avaeris Sanctuary later (in Dem as well?), since (I think) no-one else knows Higher Order yet.

I want Tenethorne Stronghold in Kalimsa mainly for its Corruption-reducing effect (should get us to zero waste in that town, even before Elder Councils become available) though its Culture will also be helpful (maybe we'll get another flip or two!). However, it is possible that we will also lose TenStr to a Wonder-cascade, as everyone else switches their TowMir builds -- if that happens, switch Kal to (Palace-prebuild-for) Avaeris Sanctuary.

Further military plans

Now that our MA+RoP with Kerri is over, I am not sure what she will do with the 20(ish!) units she has travelling through our territory. I have left a northbound retreat-route open, so given our relative strength, she should be less inclined to DoW us (we would definitely lose Talltales if she sneak-attacked, probably also New Haj).

I think she's still at war with ... someone (check F4!), but if not, it might be worth signing her up to fight the Beasts and/or Frostlings for us, to encourage her to ship all those attack-units overseas. (RemG signed a PT+MA with us vs the Ramas, so when they died, Beasts, but then a couple of turns later signed a PT with Crom, so he was forced to re-declare on us instead -- which is good, because it gives us War Happiness!).

Alternatively, we could declare on the Legion, and ask Kerri to fight them. Since they've been left relatively undisturbed for 200 T -- but are completely backwards -- they may well have amassed a lot of cheap units that we won't want to chew through ourselves. But Kerri has Swashbucklers for amphibious attacks, so if she captures one of their towns and immediately moves a pile of units into it, she'll get swarmed.

Any questions, you know where I'll be! Save is below...

Attachments

• ToC-SG1 MoonElves, 220 AD.SAV
    259.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Nice! Very helpful pic, thanks! Looks like victory is inevitable as long as I can hold on. ;).

I've never tried abandoning a city by way of building a worker on zero/neg food per turn before, amazing that that works!

will try to get those wonders, good idea.

also wonder how many flame spells the legion has. If they've indeed been undisturbed, they probably have quite a few spells to pelt us with! 🤣

Hi @haluu, you've been vewwy vewwy qwiet lately. Have you been having a madly busy summer...?

TJS! I miss you buddy! How are you? How's the family?

Unfortunately I'm going through a divorce and that has put everything civ-3 related on hold. It's been rough but once I get through this I'm hoping to get back on the ToC train.

Top Bottom