Civ1 DOS Succession Game!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Siegmund
*Bob_Smurf
*addiv
*stormerne
*stwils
*pdescobar
*cliff
*gonzo_for_civ
*Irish Caesar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh ... thought we werent back to me yet, the order has been reshuffled so many times:)

Sorry to keep you all waiting, will try to play tonight.

Well, the weekend got spent raking leaves not playing Civ, and tonight doesn't look much better... I better pass until next weekend. Step on up, bob_smurf.

addiv... can you go now, or shall I play?

Pre-turn adjustments:

* replaced some workers.
* production changes:
- Thon Buri: temple to catapult.
- Thung Song: settler to chariot.
- Bangkok: hanging gardens to magellan's expedition (because Invention will be discovered in a few turns).
- Nishapur and Samarkan: settler to fregate.
- Ubon Ratcha: diplomat to chariot.

Most important events:

380:

* Engineering discovered, start researching Invention.
* Our only Chariot on the Greek continent attacks Greek chariot near Argos: loses.
* Lop Buri builds phalanx, start fregate.
* Our legion defeats Greek cavalry on East Continent (near Orleans).
* Embassy established with Greeks.
* Our sail discovers a new, probably uninhabited continent.

AI: French discover University

360:

* Sara Buri builds phalanx, starts fregate.
* Chiantaburi builds caravan that starts moving to Bankok.

340:

* Rush build catapult in Thon Buri.

Pliny declares Siam the largest Civ

320:

* Civil disorder in Tak (because many catapults outside city). One chariot returns to Tak and Tak starts building Cathedral.
* We discover Invention and start researching Steam Engine.
* Phuket founded.
* Lots of units assembled in Thon Buri for attack on the French.

AI: Americans discover University

300:

* Pattani founded.
* Attack on French overruled by Senate, guess we'll have to wait till they attack us or start a revolution to be able to attack them.

260:

* Steam Engine discovered, start researching Railroad.

220:

* Ayutthava founded.

200:

* Railroad discovered, start researching Industrialization.
* Production in Da Nang changed to Darwin's Voyage.
* Caravan adds 50 shields to production of Magellan's Expedition in Bangkok.
* Greek legion defeated by our chariot near Thon Buri.

At this point in the game, could we take stock of where we are and where we want to go?

It'll be my turn soon and I would find some discussion helpful.

Thanks.
stwils

Good catch on the Magellan. I had completely forgotten that landlocked Bangkok was capable of building it.

Looks good.

My opinion is that getting rid of the Greeks will be the top priority, after all, we are at war, so as long as those frigates keep coming, we'll be in good shape.

I haven't looked, bt do their embasy records show them as having any good tech? Just something to look out for.

Siegmund, Bob_Smurf: Either of you weekend guys want to go before me?

200 B.C.--
Taxes @ 3.1.6 to preventdisorder-still 3 turns/tech
Americans get Engineering
180--
Trat builds settler->caravan
Nishapur builds frigate->temple
Bun Yun builds phalanx->temple
160--
Surin builds temple->granary
Talk w/French- give RR for Feudalism
Talk w/Greeks- they want peace for 150g??!!:lol::rolleyes:
140--
Bangkok builds Magellan's Expedition!!!->diplomat
Nong Khai builds caravan
Thung Song builds phalanx->settler
120--
Flesh out east wing of palace
Discover Industrialization->gunpowder
French get chemistry
100--
Phalanx cracks hut-50g
80--
Americans get Physics
Capture Argos(Greek)-9g:rolleyes:
Talk w/Alex- he wants Chemistry for peace?!:lol::lol::lol: We refuse, now he just wants peace, so we take it.
Greek sail lands chariot and phalanx near Nishapur; Our chariots move in to trap them
60--
Phuket builds settler
Greek sail leaves, stranding troops:confused::rolleyes:
40-
Discover Gunpowder->explosives(forgot to sell barracks! D'oh!)
Nakhon Sawan builds temple->barracks
Phalanx cracks hut-Communism
Americans and Russians cancel peace treaty
20--
plans for millenium celebrations begin...
1 A.D.--
Samarkand builds temple->library
Phalanx cracks hut-NONE legion
....Consul Bob persuades the Senate to use the taxpayers' money to hold the largest celebration in the history of...Civilization!....
....All around the world, people start counting years from 0 again for no apparent reason....
:D:D

Thanks Bob_Smurf!

Hmmm... nothing heard from Siegmund. I'll take my go now.

stwils: get ready for your go later today after me.

I might have had time Sunday or Monday, but won't today or tomorrow.... so probably easiest thing is to just go through the list and wait for my name to come up again, since it sounds like the next few of you are champing at the bit:)

The mace of office hands over to President Storm...

Pre-turn adjustments:
In the city of Surin, we put the entertainer back to work. He was a slacker and got found out.

Turn 1: Year 1
President Storm graciously accepts the accolade of a paved palace road built in his honour.

The trusty phalanx at Khon Kaen repulses two barbarian legions.
The city of Pattini builds a temple. Hooray! But it's undefended so a musketeer is started.

We meet with the Russians. Stalin has two minders.
They want us to cancel our treaty with the Yanks. We say no.
They say they'll refrain from crushing us if we give them Gunpowder. We ignore their hollow theats and suggest they get a reality check.
They welcome peace with us anyway. Wusses.

What a surprise. The Yanks want to see us too. Aren't we popular. Lincoln has three senators with him.
They want us to cancel our treaty with the Russians. We say no.
They too want Gunpowder for peace. We say no to that too.
They welcome peace with us anyway. Been there before?

We place a unit on the best bit of agricultural land around New York.

Turn 2: Year 20
Ruskies and Yanks make peace with each other. They exchange brown trousers as a token of their friendship.
Unrest in Argos. Change production to temple and rush build it.
Phitsanulok builds settlers and starts on a temple.

Turn 3: Year 40
Our diplomat enlightens the people of Pharsalos with the wonders of the Siamese civilization. They join our throng for just 197 gold.

Alexander and his three warriors are a little upset about this. What did they expect?
They say they'll refrain from crushing us if we give them Gunpowder. Ha! :lol: We ignore their hollow theats and suggest they get a reality check.
They take umbrage and declare war on us.
Their stranded units around Nishapur take a beating from us but we lose a chariot in the process.

Turn 4: Year 60
Argos builds a temple and begins the protection of our newly acquired booty with city wall foundations.
This city is stuffed full of chariots. One of them knocks out an inquisitive Greek legion. One stays behind. The rest are en route to Herakleia!

We discover Explosives and start on the road to Metallurgy. However...

President Storm persuades all Siamese scientists to take a holiday for a generation or two and taxes flood into his coffers with a vengeance.
Despite this, when Hua Hin finishes building a chariot, it begins a library. It'll be ready when education is funded once more.

Turn 5: Year 80
The Greeks take revenge on one of our new subverted settlers. Oh well.
Hat Yai builds a marketplace and starts on a musketeer.
Chianthaburi builds a chariot and starts on a temple.
Unrest in Lop Buri is quelled by rearranging one worker from a deer forest onto the sea.
No such luck in Hua Him where TWO entertainers are required for the time being.

Turn 6: Year 100
Greeks try to stop our herd of chariots approaching Herakleia but fail. Our brave veteran chariot on a mountain beats off the attack and strikes back twice to denude the city of defenders.
So successful is the van that the rest of herd swerves off inland towards Mycenae.
One diverts to Pharsalos, where our staunch phalanx has survived a revenge attack, and squashes the rest.

Meanwhile two frigates and a sail are crossing the ocean with more forces for a triple pincer movement on the Greeks.

Rayong builds a chariot but starts on a temple.

Turn 7: Year 120
Nakhon Sawan builds Barracks and starts on a Chariot.
Hong Kai builds a caravan and starts on another.
Bun Yun builds a temple and starts on a musketeer.
Unrest in Rayong is quelled by an entertainer.

We take the now undefended Greek city of Herakleia and start building a temple to thank the gods for our victory. The citizens rejoice (because we told them to).
Pharsalos rush builds a temple before food runs scarce.

We also head south and find the city of Corinth emerging out of the mists.
Alexander and his three ministers want to talk. I let them and this is perhaps a mistake.
They want Gunpowder. We say no.
They want peace. Our negotiator refuses but is overruled by the Siamese Senate who in their wisdom want peace.
Just as well we have a healthy bank balance and diplomats on the way too.

Sara Buri completes a frigate and switches to building a temple.
Ayutthaya builds a phalanx and switches to a temple.
Lop Buri switches production from frigate to diplomat. I'm going to bribe Antioch with that one.
Frigate deposits chariot north of Mycenae and turns back towards Lop Buri for new diplomat.

Turn 8: Year 140
Bangkok builds Caravan and keeps doing so. Caravan adds to Wonder building at Da Nang.
Sara Buri gets an entertainer to stop the panic.
Pharsalos builds temple and switches to building a diplomat to incite further rebellions.

Turn 9: Year 160
Lop Buri builds a diplomat ready to sail and starts building another.
Panic in Surin is quelled by rearranging workers onto the sea.
Thung Song builds settlers and starts on a temple. Settler head northwest to found a new city.

The French want to talk to us. Are we at war with them? Hmmm... I forgot. They like to keep their heads down. (As above so below.) A familiar litany ensues...
They want Gunpowder. We say no.
They want peace. Our negotiator refuses but is overruled by the Siamese Senate who in their wisdom want peace. I'm not going to make that mistake again!

Mycenae is surrounded and we have a diplomat on the door to work his magic.

Turn 10: Year 180
Those despicable Russians create some mischief around New York and we're at war with them.

Our diplomat forces his way into Mycenae and incites a revolt but it costs more than 400 gold.

Our chariots move south. Alexander wants to talk but we refuse to grant him audience. We find we're once more at war with them. Good. Right decision at last!

We now also have a diplomat and a chariot next to Antioch.

I'm vacating my palace now. Before I hand the mace over, here are my thoughts for the new encumbent...

If I was playing on, my plan for the next turn would be (in order):
* use the chariot next to Antioch to soften up the city and reduce the bribe price;
* bribe Antioch with the diplomat;
* put the science rate back up straightaway - we can't delay that any longer;
* use the chariot swarm to take first Corinth and then the other Greek cities.

(And the turn after that I'd build a new city north west of Thung Song on the corner.)

Note: We are three turns from building Darwin's Voyage. That should kick start our science again.

Here's the save file:siam180.zip

And once again, if you believe that looking at the retirement powergraph is cheating, don't look here!

OK. I will try to play tomorrow night or early Saturday.

I am not an advanced player. Any thoughts you have on the game as it is now would be helpful to me.

Coming from Civ3, I don't know much about caravans or diplomats...

Stormerne, you are always good about saying what would be a good course to follow next. Thanks. Any more help would be great.

I just don't want to mess up the game for us.

stwils

I've never played a game of Civ3. I'm more of a Civ2 champ really (>400%). Anyway...

Diplomats have no attack power and are weak defensively. And unlike the Civ2 spy, they're a one shot use only (then they disappear). Their big strength is in bribing cities to become yours (or "Inciting a revolt" as it says on the choices). They can also steal technology or do industrial sabotage but this is fairly random and not often useful (unless they randomly take out the city walls!). The option of "Meet with the king" is never useful! Establishing an embassy can sometimes help.

The diplomat near Antioch is superimposed on a chariot right outside affording a little protection but not much. Since a diplomat (and a chariot) can move two grass squares at a turn, perhaps we should really be two squares away to the north. It would make the dip less vulnerable... but tough we're not! The price of inciting a revolt increases as the size of the city goes up. (It also changes with the target government - the Greeks are now Monarchy which is cheaper to bribe than some.) That's why I suggest hitting Antioch with the chariot first. You'll see it has no city walls. The black line around it shows it's defended, but it has no dotted grey shading around it like Athens does, so you know there's no wall around Antioch whereas there is around Athens. That means for every defender the chariot knocks out at Antioch, the population will go down by one and it'll be cheaper to bribe. I reckon if your chariot kills one or two defenders, we'll be able to bribe Antioch to become ours straightaway. If the chariot loses at once, we might need to wait a turn, in which case take the dip one square to the north east to make it safer then south to incite the revolt next turn.

Of course you need a lot of cash to keep on bribing cities. When I first bribed Pharsalos, the Greeks were still in Despotism so it was cheap. It's often very efficient way to take over whole continents if you are generating a lot of money and are ahead on science. We don't want to fall behind so we should put our science rate as high as we can (at least 50% as soon as Antioch is taken.

Do remember you can never bribe a capital city. Athens is the capital of Greece!

Caravans increase trade arrows in your cities which is good. The other useful thing is that they contribute 50 shields to a city building a wonder. On my turn I accelerated the wonder building at Da Nang this way.

Do also note that I stopped some of the military production in the mainland. The ships don't have much to ferry over at the moment. I did this for two reasons. It was getting difficult to support so many troops and the resultant unrest (troops away from home) was getting hard to quell. So I switched a lot to temples. You can adjust things as you wish. Just remember there isn't an infinite supply of chariots to take the south of Greece with!

Oh... and don't talk to the Greeks unless you want peace! (I thin staying at war with them is good for now.) So when the Greek ambassador calls tell him "No, go away", otherwise your senate will force a peace.

Top Bottom