Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Quick thing, the tooltip for Horyu-ji says it gives +10 culture but it actually only gives +3.

Edit: And huh, apparently I've reached the point where there are no more great works of art / adventures available. Got an Adventurer with no name who does not have the option to create a Great Work. Oh well, more golden ages then, they yield ten times the amount of potential culture anyway at this point in the game. But if you can pull them out of your ... uhm, mind, it would probably be great if you could add a few dozen more of them. I'm only now in the process of researching the first Anno Domini tech, so it's late midgame (with 22 civs on Marathon). I could help find new adventures if you want, just send me a list of what is there already. [Never mind, I can get it from the XML file.]

Edit 2: Is it intentional that it's not possible to buy churches? Doesn't show up in the purchase window. This is gonna make building them a top priority because I want that Hagia Sophia.

Thanks for the feedback - and those extra GA possibilities, which I'll look into over the weekend. Of course, the issues will all be dealt with.

I would like to have the Normans in Civ5; they mark the end of the eras covered in the mod and were in the very original Civ3 version of Anno Domini, so there's some symmetry there. JFD/JanBoruta have created a brilliant Norman civilization - perfect for the main game - but I'm concerned that it doesn't quite "fit" the mod. Also, there'd need to be a decision made - do I keep the Motte and Bailey as it is in the mod or make it unique to the Normans?

The spoiler contains the Normans as created by JFD and Jan; any thoughts on how they should look in Anno Domini?
Spoiler :

Incidentally, I'm changing Armenia so it's exactly as JFD intended - so the free policy per era UA is now unused - could that fit?

This mod is amazing. It's like a brand new game. Even the civ narration comes across as professional for a mod (I started with Vietnam). A few things:

* I'm using Enhanced UI, but due to some sort of conflict, the CityView feature won't work (this is fixed by removing the CityView folder from the EUI mod folder). Not sure what the conflict is - maybe something to do with Health? Otherwise EUI works fine.

* Are there any quick-references I can use? I ask because I'm doing terribly in my current game and am struggling to find buildings that provide happiness in the massive tech tree. Would be nice to be able to consult a quick list so I know what to aim for. If nobody's already made one, I might make one myself...

* Tourism appears to have been replaced with Empire but I'm not sure what it does. The civilopedia appears to be unchanged so doesn't provide any hints. Or is it just a name-change?

Normans were indeed very latecomers, they were basically the descendants of many of the other civs in your mod :p . It's up to you I guess, but how will the free castle work with stone resource? You will also get walls, palisade and the rest for free?

Motte and Bailey is probably inspired by the movie The War Lord (1965), which is awesome, but I think only the Normans should build it. It has a feudal feeling and I don't think is proper for most of the AD civs.

On the other hand if you add Saxons and other medieval factions, why not?:)

Also I was wondering, since the limit is 22 civs per game, is it possible to exclude some civs from loading into the game? For example I want to load only the northen Europe civs. Could this be done without breaking the mod?

I'm asking this to increase loading times and maybe make the mod lighter.

@squidgeny: I don't think there is such a list. But you can check the civilopedia and just click through the buildings of the current era and ONLY look at the left panel if there's happiness in it. And yes, Tourism/Empire points are the same, just a name change. Same goes for the Archaeologists/Plunderers.

@Vasilas: I suppose it's like if you build the House of the Vestals but don't have the Temple of Artemis. If you get buildings for free, the requirements are ignored. Temples provided by the House of the Vestals do not require Olive Oil or a Shrine to be constructed first, they just appear out of thin air.

About the Motte and Bailey, it doesn't fit the mediterranean civs but there are enough northern European civs that might use it so it's really up to you. Personally I'm no fan of unique improvements unless they are really better than the standard improvements AND can be used frequently. So Punt's UI is cool because it has good yields but a replacement for an improvement that is hardly used anyway (who builds fortresses? I don't, the AI doesn't - if anything it's gonna be citadels) kinda feels like a waste. Soooo what if instead of the Motte and Bailey UI they get a unique Great General that builds Motte and Bailey instead of a Citadel, and the M&B has some good yields in addition to the defense bonus? Culture or food or both, maybe gold? [In my game I modified the Honour tree so that the left and right starter policies give +2 Gold and +2 Production, respectively, to Citadels in order to make them useful even after the front line has moved beyond it. But you have to spend culture points in order to get it, so I think it's still kinda balanced. Plus it gives you something to do with those dozens of unused Great Generals if you're a huge warmonger.]

I had an idea for the normans... based on their various conquests:

UA: Castle Builders
During anarchy, Receive :c5production: production towards defensive buildings in all cities. defensive buildings yield +1 :c5culture: culture and increase border growth rate by 10%.

Hey, played the AnnoDomini_Europe_Huge map for 468 turns and got some things to report:

First of all, the map doesn't have any stone resources anywhere, or my game was bugged.

-Sometimes in the leader screen it said "Tradition" instead of the leader's name.

-Got a texture load error after completing Todai-Ji wonder: "Unable to load texture [TodaiJiSplash.dds]". I get this error every time I load the autosave and although it seems like crashing to desktop, if I click OK the game resumes normally.

-Alexander's UA, I don't get amphitheaters built in conquered/founded cities, can't find them in tech tree or civilopedia either.

The map was really fun, besides the lack of stone resources, but again Teuta was the bad guy after destroying Etruria and everyone piled on her before I saved her, then everyone hated me so I had to make them pay :lol:

She really hates that Lars Porsenna fellow.

She really hates that Lars Porsenna fellow.

So do I. Not because he's ever done anything bad but because of his name and face. I am a bad person. Same goes for Bellerophon, those crazy eyes are just crazy.

Thanks for the reports/feedback! I will be investigating further.

In the meantime, here's a link to the Normans in Anno Domini, so you can see how they line up.

What I might well do is release full version 0.95 on here around 22nd June. This will be following a week off (and a chance to do more work on the mod ;)). It'll give a chance to have a final run through and try out the new civs before the full steam release, pencilled in for August 1st - hopefully after the MoreCivs Greek split release (and possibly a couple of other civs by other creators).

I've recently gotten back into this mod after an extended break (from civ v in general). So far I am liking the new changes, but it will take me a while to play through them all :p. I also like the new civs you've added since I last played and am looking forward to the Normans. I noticed you added Novgorod recently, any plans to add Kiev as well?

I've considered Kiev; they are a possibility, but I'm going to need to take a couple of parts out of the mod - i.e. I've used icons of theirs elsewhere! I'd also need to change another civ's colours as they more or less match Kievan Rus' at the moment (as I think those colours would need to be kept with the Kievan Rus).

Khazaria have made it into the mod :).

A little bizarre, but both the wonder race and the events element of events and decisions have stopped working, though decisions are still there. I've not even touched them...not sure if something else I've added with the new civs has affected it, but not sure how. I've not included any mod support items when entering the new civilizations.

I just cannot work out what's happened with events and the wonder race, as neither are working at the moment. I think this happened when I took the old version of Armenia out and put the new one in - which matches JFD's Armenia, but without the support for other mods that it has. Having checked the logs, there's nothing I can see that indicates what's wrong.

So, here's the download link to version 14, which is an "unofficial" version ;). The intention is that someone will be able to identify what I've done wrong. However, if you'd like to download and play it, you're more than welcome.

Anno Domini version 14

Disadvantages:
  • No events (but there are decisions)
  • No wonder race popups

Advantages

Oh man, I just updated the XXL Europe map. I should have checked this thread first :(

I wonder what would it take to update the map for the new A.D. version?

Is there any chance you give Normandy other UA? The current one doesn't suit them...

Is there any chance you give Normandy other UA? The current one doesn't suit them...

I like it. As they're very late game (as the two UUs are from Anno Obscuri), it's useful for them to have something useful throughout it. I would say that it does suit them, as they would conquer a nation (e.g. England!) and introduce laws to control the population. The domesday book was the tip of the iceberg; there was the requirement to swear allegiance to the king, no cattle could be sold outside of cities, a number of land laws, laws surrounding local lords needing to catch murderers within five days of committing a crime or a fine was to be paid. There's lots more.

Croesus is called Croesus/Massalia and he is a city state and a civ at the same time!

I downloaded the new test version and started a new game in my XXL Europe map without editing first in worldbuilder, so that could be it. Going to test some more.

EDIT: I played some in a Pangea map and everything seems to be working as intended, so the 3 maps included must probably get updated to the new version, therefore I will wait until you iron out the new bugs before updating my map.

I would like to see Motte and Bailey though, the idea of them given as fiefs to Norman vassals is fitting for the late game IMO.

I would like to see Motte and Bailey though, the idea of them given as fiefs to Norman vassals is fitting for the late game IMO.

Motte and Baileys are in there as generic late-game improvements. They may be eurocentric but how many things are in Civ games generally that are for all civs but historically are specific to one group of people? The Normans are just as I intended them to be.

Incidentally, I've not seen any health and plague notifications in my last couple of games, so that's probably also affected by whatever I've done!

Yes, I agree.
I understand the SP thing, but can't you add, say, +1 :c5gold: gold from pastures?

Top Bottom