Tech Tree Suggestions to improve the Late Game

Roundman

Prince
There have been complaints about the late game for as long as Civ 3 has been around. I attribute much of the problem to the fact that the late game tech tree is under developed. The Industrial Age tech tree/ early Modern Age tech tree is poorly thought out. It seems that it goes by too quickly and doesn't adequately flesh out the possibilities of the age, especially in regards to Flight. The Modern age comes too quickly, and starts at a point that is too far advanced. The tree seemingly skips from about 1918 to about 1950-1955. Here are some thoughts about what can be done.

I would make serious changes to Flight . I think that current Flight advance should only give the player WW1 era prop planes and no air ports. A new advance (I'd call it Metal Airplanes for lack of a better name) would follow from the first flight advance and give what the current Flight advance gives (Fighter, Bomber, and Airport), along with Paratroopers. I'd replace Advanced Flight with Jet Engines and move it to the modern age. Jet Engines would be a beginning tech, and would be a pre-req for Stealth. It would give the Jet Fighter (a F-80 or a MiG-15) , which would be an upgrade to the current Fighter plane, as well as giving a new Jet Bomber (a B-57?)with greater range. I'll get back to my suggestions for the Modern Age tree later in the post.

I would make Radio a branch off of Atomic theory. Radio would lead to Mass Communication (representing 1920s Radio and Newspaper), which would lead to Television, which would be the final step in the Communications branch and a prerequisite to advance to the modern age. I would make Propaganda a dead end branch off of Mass Communication. Researching Propaganda would give Fascism (something I have roughly sketched out in my Fascism thread). This more accuately shows the evolution and importance of the media to modernity.

Another addition that I'd make to the Industrial Age concens the
Communism branch. Communism should be required research. From Communism there should be two more techs: Labor Union and Modern Philosophy. Modern Philosophy would branch solely off of Communism. Labor Union would be avaliable after Mass Production is researched and would reduce war weariness/ civil unrest to some degree. After both Modern Philosophy and Labor Union are researched, the final tech off this branch could be researched. I'd call it something like Welfare State or Keynsian Economics or something like that. It would represent the changes to the economic aspects of government and social philosophy of the 1930s, and would loosely reflect things like the New Deal and the TVA, Nazi Public Works Projects (like the Autobahn), and Stalinist crash industrialization. This step should make the "Wealth" advance more efficient, giving 1 gold per 3 shields instead of 1 gold per 4, or maybe give you 10% more shields. I know that this would make the tech tree look a bit messy, but it would flesh out social developments of the industrial age.

The following Techs would be the final required techs in my Industrial Tech tree: Welfare State, Metal Airplanes (both advances could use better names), Television, and Motorized Transportation. Amphibious Warfare would still be optional.

The Computer Advance compounds the problem of the brief Industrial Age. This advance gives you Modern Computers too soon, as well as gives you modern infantry too early. I'd simply give the Computer advance Research labs, and push Seti and Mech infantry on to different advances. I'd create an advance called Advanced Computers that would branch out from Miniturization. Advanced Computers (or Microchips) would be a central tech, as it would be the pre-req for most of the techs needed for the Space Shuttle. It would allow the construction of SETI, and would be a pre-req. for The Laser. I would also move Robotics up as branching from Advanced Computers. Furthermore, Genetics would branch from Advanced Computers.

I never was satisfied with Ecology coming immediately after the Industrial Age. I think that Ecology and Recycling would make more sense being a dead end branch branching from Nuclear Power. It would more accurately depict th 1960s rejection of nuclear power and the rise of the Green Philosophy. I would fill the void left at the beginning of the Age with a new advance: Plastics. Plastics would head a redesigned upper branch of the tech tree.

The upper tech tree would begin with Platics. After Plastics and Computers had been researched, I'd add a new military advance called either Combined Arms or Advanced Tactics. This Advance would give Helicopters and a Vietnam era Infantry. Plastics and Advanced Computers would give Synthtic Fibers, which would now give Mech Infantry along with everything else. Stealth would still be the final tech of this branch.

Satellites, Smart Weapons, and Integrated Defense would remain unchanged.

I've charted out my sugesstions, and they make sense. I feel that these changes would fill out the late game, make it more realistic, and make it more fun. Air warfare would be better developed. More techs would make a Space Shuttle victory more difficult.

Thank you for reading my long post. If you have any comments or suggestions, please post them.

Great thoughts, Roundman! I agree that the era needs some work.

I feel that the Industrial Age should end with Fission, The Jet Engine, Rocketry, and Computers. In the real world, this would correspond with 1945-50, post WW2.

"Flight" would represent the early century advance, and give you a WW1 Biplane that wouldn't be all too effective. "Advanced Flight" would represent WW2 flight tech, giving you Fighters, Bombers, Airports, and Carriers. "Advanced Flight" and "Radio" would lead to "Combined Arms" and give you Paratroopers and early helicopters. "Advanced Flight" and maybe "Electronics" would be prereqs for "Jet Engine", which would give you early jet fighters like the MiG-15 or F-86 - Korean War planes, and a High-Altitude bomber. I might move this to the Modern Age - but Jet technology was developed in WW2.

I'm not sure if "Rocketry" should be a prereq for "Jet Engines" or the other way around. I'd like it to give an early unmanned missile unit, like the V-1.

I'd bring back "Mobile Warfare" and have "Motorized Transport" give an early, WW1 tank.

Some Modern techs that should be in are "Plastics", "Digitalization", "Advanced Rocketry", "Battlefield Communications" and many others. I'll have to do some thinking.

I know, I was just speculating. Roundman suggested plenty of reasonable changes though.

Originally posted by thestonesfan
I know, I was just speculating. Roundman suggested plenty of reasonable changes though.

Thanks. I like your Motorized Transportation, Mobile Warfare idea. The Tech Tree definately needs reworking. The second half of the game seems so choppy.

Roundman,
Your suggestions will make the later parts of the game much better than it is... it will also allow many of the units, uu´s and ideas suggested in other threads... hopefully Atari will listen...

BTW, under Propaganda, we could develop a new city improvement that could reduce corruption or increase happiness and city loyalty (radio station, TV station or newspaper building perhaps?)

Originally posted by jabancho
BTW, under Propaganda, we could develop a new city improvement that could reduce corruption or increase happiness and city loyalty (radio station, TV station or newspaper building perhaps?)

Yeah. There is so much more that can be done with the late game than currently exists. I'm sure that there could be good ideas for every advance that I suggested, as well as more advances that I didn't think of. The Ancient era is so rich and complex. Why isn't the late game explored as thoroughly?

Why isn't the late game explored as thoroughly?

Probably because most games end before entering the modern time (or end just after modern armour);)

I agree with your suggestions. It would make the late industrial and modern age much better IMHO.

One suggestion, it would be great to build a new wonder, "Hollywood", after researching Radio.

sure, its not about techs or anything, but with one of the techs that gives you tanks, it should also give you like, a land transport that transports human units only and could move maybe ... 3 if not more tiles. then you could blitzkrieg and get to cities faster and stuff. i think it would be cool.

One suggestion, it would be great to build a new wonder, "Hollywood", after researching Radio.

or they could a new tech 'television" and the hollywood wonder would increase happiness like bachs(forgot the name) wonder thing

maybe a mid industrial advance like ballooning or crude flight, just a suggestion.

Communasium should not be a reqiured tech as Laber Unions and Comminium isn't the only modern phliosphy. Liberlism,conservativism,and faciasm are also Roundman
Newspapers have been around since the printing press.
your movment of techs is severly flawed.

Originally posted by Abgar
Communasium should not be a reqiured tech as Laber Unions and Comminium isn't the only modern phliosphy. Liberlism,conservativism,and faciasm are also Roundman

Notice that I added Fascism as a new form of government, included in the advance Propaganda. Liberalism is already represented; basically, Democracy is Liberalism. Conservatism isn't an ideology. Are you confusing the t.v. term "liberal " with the Liberal ideology? Liberalism is what was developed during the Enlightenment. It basically boils down to the idea that the only legitimate governments are based on the consent of the governed. The current use of "liberal" and "conservative" are different names for left and right, which are political opinions (ideologies may be right or left, but those terms aren't the defining characteristics of the ideology). The most "conservative" Republican, a Phil Gramm or a Trent Lott, is actually a Liberal (notice the capital "L"), because that conservate Republican believes in the fundamental principles of Democracy and the idea that the government should be created by the consent of the governed. However, a Communist is not Liberal, even though they are far left, because they don't believe in democracy. My tech tree has included the three major ideologies of the past 250 years: Democracy, Communism and Fascism. The only thing that I see could be added is a Fundamentalist government, though some scholars would argue that Islamic fundamentalism is a modern incarnation of Fascism.

Newspapers have been around since the printing press.

Yes, I know that, but I'm talking about modern newspapers, newspapers that reached millions of people. There is a huge difference between 17th and 18th century newspapers and those of the 1920s. These modern newspapers were unlike their predecessors, and have an important place in the larger picture of the role of mass media in 20th century politics.

your movment of techs is severly flawed.

I admit that its not perfect, but I thought that it was sufficient for and fairly logical. What other specific complaints do you have about it?

I agree. Late game needs to be more comprehensive.

Another thing...they should either make Flight a prerequisite to Mass Production, or make the carrier available w/ a different tech. I've always thought it was stupid that it's possible to be in a position where you can build carriers, yet you haven't researched flight yet...

Originally posted by toh6wy
Another thing...they should either make Flight a prerequisite to Mass Production, or make the carrier available w/ a different tech. I've always thought it was stupid that it's possible to be in a position where you can build carriers, yet you haven't researched flight yet...

I never even realized that. That is ridiculous. The Carrier should be moved to a different tech, possibly the Metal Airplane tech that I suggested.

Originally posted by Roundman

I never even realized that. That is ridiculous. The Carrier should be moved to a different tech, possibly the Metal Airplane tech that I suggested.

I have to agree with you on this.

Top Bottom