Civilization 6 ideas

elbrutos

Chieftain
Hi All,

I have been a long time follower of this site and I played all the civilizations so far. I have spent about 300 hours on civ 5 and even more on the older versions. I have some ideas about a new civilization that I like to share with you guys.

PRODUCTION/FINANCIAL/CITIES

- Food and Production should be global and not city restricted
- Cities grows when global food is in the plus but are capped at 5 population.
- You can expand a city with a worker and the right technology. Just like a worker can dig a mine a worker can create a suburb next to a city tile. Therefore your city can grow again to 10 population.
- people can be assigned to work a tile in your whole empire. However the further there away from there town the less productive there are. With roads and railroads your reduce there penalty
- Happiness should be on city level. Hapiness should determines how productive they are. A city can still grow but is less productive.
- Health should be reintroduced and on a city level. This should affect hapiness and therefore it effects your productivity as well. Sick people cannot work :)
- Some buildings should be not only build in cities. Like farm upgrades or Walls.

If you apply these rules then I think you get the following gameplay that shoud be quite interesting.

1. Big fully upgraded farm fields or production fields are vunerable for attacks and should be well guarded.
2. Cities will have different shapes and sizes and will be strategic placed.
3. You will chose which city should grow therefore creating large urban cities near a bunch of hills or massive grasslands. Maybe some villages near the border or a big defense city?
4. If you are not happy you still want to reproduce but your worklevel will be less if your not happy. Therefore if a city is unhappy it affects the productivity and income of a city and not growth
5. There needs to be a new layover to show and place your people where they need to work. showing where they live and where they work. This creates better choices which cities to grow and which not.
6. Buildings like forts and walls should be able to build outside a city given defence bonus and with walls you need to attack this first before crossing over like woodenwalls should delay units 1 or 2 turns. This is quite vital if you want to protect your upgraded farms and mines near a border.

UNITS

I didnt like the stack of doom and I partially liked the new style of civ 5. I have my own ideas see below

- There should be a limit on how much units you can have on a tile with logistics
- there should be supplies
- Armies and Group bonusses

1. With logistics what you can research multiple times you can have more units in a tile and therefore creating a more strategic options. A fort can have +1 logistics and therefore holding more units on 1 tile then normal.
2. Supplies should be introduced healing a unit and ammunition should be hampered if your further away. Special supply units can help with this and should be guarded.
3. Once you can have multiple units on a tile you can create an army with a militaire leader. Its not like in Civ3 you have 1 army that attack but you can chose which unit you select however they receive certain bonusses like archer support or flank support from horsemen

This is my first part and can continue if there are enough people who like this idea. Please feel free to ask any questions/comments/holes in my ideas.

Thinking about civ makes me wanna play civ again. So i'm off and i'm curious what you think about the above ideas. Ohh and sorry for my bad english I'm not a native speaker.

Cheers,

Elbrutos

> So i'm off and i'm curious what you think about the above ideas.

Ideas are good but if implemented then it will new game not Civilization we used to play

> So i'm off and i'm curious what you think about the above ideas.

Ideas are good but if implemented then it will new game not Civilization we used to play
I dunno about that. Civ V got rid of the 'fat cross' and allowed cities to work tiles in three rings as opposed to two in all the previous games. 1upt and hexes instead of squares were big and controversial changes as well.

I like the ideas in the op. Armies could be too much for the AI to handle though; and if there were a supply mechanic, imo it should be very simple and somewhat forgiving in its implementation (i.e. you will not lose the army with a loss of supply but will simply suffer a negative combat modifier). But it's high time imo that production and food get globalized (perhaps gradually with tech advances). Civ V's new internal trade routes are a step in this direction; but the food or production isn't drained from their source location, which is non-ideal imo. I want to see vast fields of waving crops and black and smoky areas filled with visible, worker-built factories. I want my face to turn white when my tiles are being pillaged! :eek:

You could argue that the game is about cities as a central mechanic and that these changes would violate this rule too much; but first of all there's no book of law where it reads that cities are the central mechanic (even if they have been until now), and furthermore they could still matter a lot for science, army training, logistical hubs(!!), 'home bases' for the working population, and more. E.g. you could make it so that a Factory tile must touch a City/Suburb tile or be within one hex of it... The possibilites are vast and this is a fresh new direction to take the franchise in. I'd be all for it provided the current devs get the job and not some new guy fresh from high school (I'm looking at you Jon Shafer).

Edit: the map size should be scaled up, at the cost of graphics if need be (I know I know... Easier to sell flashy 5-tile maps); you should be able to have 10-tile cities on 100,000 tile maps. This way there'd be more room for armies to fight... Remove city bombardment while you're at it (most asinine mechanic ever: you're surrounded and starving, yet you're bombarding a unit per turn to death?!).

yay! brainstorming!

I love Civ5, but there are a few annoying shortcomings. I'm not a game dev so who knows how hard it would be to implement some of these ideas but I think they'd make for much more entertaining game play..

1. Civil War / Revolution
Would be based on happiness. Mechanically, any city that reaches a particular level of unhappiness would essentially go on strike (like in Civ 3). If their grievances aren't dealt with, then they go full-blown secessionist -- any military units stationed in the city or previously produced in the city go AWOL. If it's just the one city having the problem, you could lock them down with martial law of some kind, but if two or more cities have the problem, then they essentially break away and form another NPC Civ that attacks you, and either you conquer them like any other Civ, or you reach a peace agreement and they stay separate from the rest of your Civ. If more than half of your cities are in this situation, you automatically lose the civil war and are forced to either forfeit the game or take a computer-generated set of civics to continue playing.

2. Barbarians
Barbarians should evolve with the game. Early on, they'd be pretty much the same as they always have been - random aggressive units that cause damage and steal workers/settlers. In the modern age, they should become Terrorists (or Anarchists or something of the sort), and have some capacity for cooperating with one another. They could become like their own Civ, except with no territory or cities. They work in concert with each other to cause damage, plan major attacks like Spies can do, etc.

3. More Diplomatic Options
International relations amount to a lot more than just war and peace. There should be options for permanent treaties (not just 20-turn deals), multi-Civ alliances, more realistic sanctions and punitive military actions that don't necessarily escalate to full-blown war.

4. Internal Politics
One annoying thing about Civilization is that regardless of your Civics, your government always amounts to an absolute dictatorship. As leader of your Civ, you are free to do anything you want with no political consequences. The game should fix that by measuring public support for your policies and overruling you when you don't have the votes. This could also open up a new dimension to governance that includes things like domestic propaganda and the like.

5. Post-Victory Gameplay
Winning the game shouldn't be the end of the game. There should be an optional path to continue playing that isn't just pressing "next turn" forever. Maybe a one-world government that gives you control over every city on the planet and missions to eliminate things like unhappiness, civil unrest, hunger, disease, etc. Colonizing space is always an option, too....

Moderator Action: Thread relocated to Ideas & Suggestions, which is the right forum for these types of discussions.

I'd love to see a 'split' combat system (homm style) - armies on strategic map, combat done with 1upt on procedurally generated grids representing the area of engagement. The AI can then also be fully split into two - strategic for the main civ management, and tactical for the combat maps. This should improve it in both areas.

I was looking at my old posts from the time between Civ III and Civ IV when we were talking about ideas for the next Civ game so I started a thread here about armies and logistics. Long story short... oops, didn't look at the forum first even though your thread was on the first page. Turns out we're kinda saying the same thing which is limited stacks allowed and units fighting better together. I guess you could say great minds think alike!

I have played Civ IV and V and none of the DLC's, so I might be saying stuff that was implemented in other versions.

TILES/CITIES
1. I like the idea of expandable cities with some areas like harbors, cultural quarters, defensive quarters,… That way if your city is build a tile or 2 away from the coast, you can still become a coastal city.
2. Environnemental changes. Retreating seas over time which results in bigger icecaps at the poles, Forrest fires which destroy them and regenerating forests over time. Floods which destroy tiles-improvements, but give you a Food Production bonus. Earthquakes destroy buildings/tiles improvements. Volcanoes burn their surrounding areas, but give a big (2+) food production when over.
3. Human impact on nature. The ability to build canals and dams, which improve food production and for the latter, create artificial lakes. Being able to build a Panama/Suez-canal type improvement would make naval movement faster.
4. Refugees. When a country is at war, their population would deplete and move to neighboring cities that are not at war. Upside: possible Great People, extra population. Downside: An addition of unhappiness that depletes over 5-10 turns. You should have the option to refuse refugees without repercussions.

UNITS
1. Land- and naval-mines + demining. This would be a nice addition, given that it makes your own improvements in that tile useless, but is a hidden attack towards the enemy. Maybe if you plant 1 mine-unit on a tile it has a 40% chance to explode upon an enemy moving onto that tile and a 10% for your own units. If you would add a second, then it has an 80% & 20% chance respectively. This is because mines are able to be triggered by both, but your units know the area, but can make a mistake, thus a small chance for backfire.
2. Small ships that can go upstream on rivers (e.g. for Vikings). This enables a whole new sort of early-stage naval war. Also, if rivers would be used as trade routes (as happened IRL), then sending a small ship to block a river would have big effects on the city's income.
3. Nomad traders that offer you luxuries for X turns or give you technology in return for a lot of gold.
4. Diplomats. Late-stage units that greatly improve your international relations and enable you to get some specific statistics on the other players (military size to the unit, enabled technologies and cultures,…)

INTERNATIONAL RELATION
-Like mentioned by vexation, some better ways for long-term diplomacy.
-Something to make AI's forget old disputes after (40-60) turns. That one war they started on you in the early middle ages shouldn't be a factor in the Modern Era.

Top Bottom