A couple of early game strategy points:

mastrude

Paraclete of Kaborka
Supporter
  • I’ve concluded it’s good to give cities fixed-ranged devices as soon as I can make them, like catapults, then upgrade them as I can. Would someone more knowledgeable than I comment?
  • Is it a good idea if you plant a city on a long one-wide peninsula if there’s one double tile in the middle, with three resources like iron there?

If there is a long peninsula, ideal to plant a city as "canal" between two oceans. You will have a military advantage and also free up trade for cities on both of your (separated) coast lines. That means do NOT settle the double tile -- settle a single tile with both coasts.

BTW, canal (always?) works even if you plant the city on a hill tile.

I avoid bombardment units until cannons are available. They are clunky because you have to waste a move setting them up. If they are not on a road, you can't attack on the movement turn, unlike archers etc. which can attack while moving on open ground.

Of course a ship can enter and leave the city on either side, if it's on the 2-wide, 2-high spot. At least I'm sure of that. You don't need a canal, I think. It may speed things up. I haven't tried that.

Of course a ship can enter and leave the city on either side, if it's on the 2-wide, 2-high spot. At least I'm sure of that. You don't need a canal, I think. It may speed things up. I haven't tried that.
No. It cannot be two wide for the city square on a peninsula. The city tile must touch both oceans for a canal.

Which version of the game is this? Civ 4 had squares so there were diagonals for maneuvering.
Civ 5 has hex tiles, and there are no diagonals.

You might be thinking of stray portrayals of some tiles as half-beach but they're actually sea tiles?

Can you post a screen shot to clarify?

Tiles have 6 sides. Two can be a long path. Two more can have other tiles. That leaves two which can permit ships through.

In s two-wide two-high spot a ship can leave on a diagonal, I believe. Two spots must be sea.
OK. I see from your most recent message that we're imagining the same thing but saying it differently.
At the point where a tile has sea "spots" on two opposing sides, it looks *to me* like a peninsula with width of ONE tile.
Above and below that ONE tile could be width of two tiles in the peninsula. That ONE tile is the target for settler.

I suggest a screen shot so that anyone else following this thread can understand you clearly.

In s two-wide two-high spot a ship can leave on a diagonal, I believe. Two spots must be sea.
This is correct, but it's not what @martindo means. If you build the city on the 1-tile part of the peninsula, you will have access to BOTH oceans, from OPPOSITE hex-sides. However, if you build on the 2-tile part of the peninsula, you can only access ONE ocean (even though you can do so through 2 ADJACENT hex-sides).

Top Bottom