they really need to fix the lack of oil

Meanwhile, in my current game as Arabia, I have literally 100 oil, and that's NOT counting CS oil (they still don't have the required tech), offshore platforms (I still don't have the required tech).

True, my Caliphate has Bazaars AND I went Autocracy and picked Third Alternative, which means my oil is 4x what the map gave me, but I reeeeeally had to salt your wound :D :satan:

And speaking about salt, I have global monopoly of that one too, going wide is fun :p

Lack of oil is a usual thing that happens but it can easily be fixed if you ally with city states that have oil. Oil becomes obsolete quick though, missile cruisers and uranium become available in the later game which makes oil useless sometimes..

Just bad pick with map creator. I had a game just now where the only pearl was near a one tile island in the middle of the ocean, and so of course all my cities ended up wanting pearl for wltkd

Actually, I think BNW's strategic resources are not scarce enough. Although I would prefer to see them scarce in a more balanced manner.

This, autocracy doesn't need a nerf, doubling strategic is actually a good policy

Trade that civ for his oil ASAP before he uses it, then wipe him out last. Easy. AI is dumb and will trade you anything they have extra of before they even have a chance to use it. I used this trick for uranium before. Even after the deal expires you have the units, albeit with attack penalty.

I think the whole point of the strategic resources is that they should sometimes be missing. You have to work with what you get and that adds to making every game different.

I've played the Amazon map twice and both times there were no horses. Pikemen can't be upgraded.

I've always been able to operate without some strategic resources - yes, even iron and oil. However, lacking these does mean that I might have to consider *not* warmongering for a while... I don't like not having oil, so, as I spread out, I always look to have some land in desserts/tundra/the arctic as it is in these landforms oil is most prevalent. I rarely find myself without..... And, if I do, there is always a city state or five somewhere willing to take my money to be my ally (and give it to me.)....

This is strange, I never had any problems with oil, unlike iron or uranium it's usually well distributed in the map and I end up having a lot more of it than I could ever use.

Oil also tends to spawn in snowy regions so when you are in a pinch you can just settle your next city in a zone that nobody ever thought of getting before.

Just what kind of settings did you specify for resources at the start of the game?

Actually, one of the peculiarities of Civ 5 is that there is always an alternative, frequently powerful, unit that does NOT require resources:
Pikemen
Submarines
Artillery
just for examples off my head.
Also, note that most of the 'city takers' don't require resources: trebuchets cannon, artillery...

Finally, note that several of the Strategic Resources tend to spawn in certain terrain:
Oil in tundra, snow, desert
Uranium in jungle, tundra, snow

If you have a need coming up, get a settler ready to head for the ice!

You can build a perfectly useful military without any resources early in the game: spearman, pikemen, archers, crossbowmen, catapults, trebuchets, etc.
Then slide past Frigates to submarines, but note that in that 'Frigate period' musketmen, gatling guns, riflemen, machine-guns, Great War Infantry, cannon and artillery, etc require no resources - concentrate on your 'ground game' until you get submarines, then start looking for aluminum if there is no oil...
If you are missing ALL of the strategic resources, you have, frankly, a very peculiar map, but you can still build some kind of unit in every Era of the game...

Lack of Strategic Resources is not a game-breaker, just a game-changer

I'm the biggest civilization in the world and I have ZERO access to oil?

There is only ONE city-state with access to oil on this map?

No oil = no battleships. It really kills your late game when a resource this critical to unit-building is nowhere to be found.

No Iron = Spearmen/Composite Bows
No Iron + No Coal = Accept delayed Ideology and enjoy no Ideology Happiness Penalties
No Iron + No Coal + No Oil = Consider that you should have adapted and went for Culture Victory instead of getting upset with the lack of Strategic Resources

xcom doesn't need any strategics, so you can always do the super late domination without any strategics.

Actually, one of the peculiarities of Civ 5 is that there is always an alternative, frequently powerful, unit that does NOT require resources:
Pikemen
Submarines
Artillery
just for examples off my head.
Also, note that most of the 'city takers' don't require resources: trebuchets cannon, artillery...

Finally, note that several of the Strategic Resources tend to spawn in certain terrain:
Oil in tundra, snow, desert
Uranium in jungle, tundra, snow

If you have a need coming up, get a settler ready to head for the ice!

You can build a perfectly useful military without any resources early in the game: spearman, pikemen, archers, crossbowmen, catapults, trebuchets, etc.
Then slide past Frigates to submarines, but note that in that 'Frigate period' musketmen, gatling guns, riflemen, machine-guns, Great War Infantry, cannon and artillery, etc require no resources - concentrate on your 'ground game' until you get submarines, then start looking for aluminum if there is no oil...
If you are missing ALL of the strategic resources, you have, frankly, a very peculiar map, but you can still build some kind of unit in every Era of the game...

Lack of Strategic Resources is not a game-breaker, just a game-changer

Its a game breaker in some cases. If you dont have iron, having no frigates will basically make your naval force useless. What are you going to do, suicide privateers into enemy cities or a frigate fleet? Submarines cant hurt cities and will die to a combined destroyer + battleship fleet easily. Its also really annoying when you are playing a civ that relies on using its UUs to gain an advantage in a certain era, and you cant build said UUs because the map generator is bad. Its also crippling if your entire continent has no coal...factories + idealogy are a gamechanger. No oil for fighters also makes you unable to intercept enemy air units over air reliably (destroyers only have interception 40).

You can see how much oil is on the CS's patch by hovering over the square. And you can pay to improve it and get it immediately as well.

Not quite. They won't improve if if you are the only Civ with Biology.

In my experience Oil is generally one of the more plentiful resources (in contrary to Coal which I regularly have zero access to) but obviously Oil is a special case because major oil reserves often are located in ocean tiles which means maps with little or no ocean/coastal areas (including Pangea) may see relative limited access to Oil.

There's always the random factor also, if I'm not mistaken game reserves one random strategic resource each time map is made and decides this resource is "rare" and only placed close to city-state starting locations. Maybe Oil was chosen in the particular game referred to in OP? Since Oil is only revealed late and CS boundaries increase very slowly late game, this might be the reason for only few CS actually having it workable.

Top Bottom