Civ 5 on Windows 8 (touch screen)

MadDjinn

Deity
System Lead Tim Kipp gives an interview with PCGames Hardware (German magazine) about some optimization work and other goings on wrt to Civilization V and Windows 8 (at the Intel Developers Forum).

Includes a demo of Civ V running on an Intel Ultrabook with Windows 8 and multi-touch.
The interview starts in German, but quickly shifts to English.

This sounds like they are fixing the multicore problem... I kinda wonder if that'll mean my old laptop can now run Huge games on Immortal or above, but that may be hoping too much.:(

Thanks for sharing, MD. That ultrabook looks spiffy.

you'd think that statement would garner some attention, but apparently not. :crazyeye:

Is the patch just for the ultra book? Or will it be for PCs users as well? Once it comes out and fixes some issues with larger maps. You'll get some attention then.

It's just said that they'll patch that stuff in. It's sadly nothing said on what else they are working on. But I guess you can at least expect something in the performance department, because the performance stuff is sure not laptop specific.

It's just said that they'll patch that stuff in. It's sadly nothing said on what else they are working on. But I guess you can at least expect something in the performance department, because the performance stuff is sure not laptop specific.

That sounds logical. Hopefully we hear something more soon. In the meantime, aren't we about do for a DLC as well? 2K Greg has been silent about CiV, which leads me to believe they are working on something.

MadDjinn said:
maybe this patch?

Haha

Maybe people will catch on now then... :)

An optimisation patch would be awesome. And with another patch in the next 2 months or so, gives them time to include some other tweaks and combine it with a new DLC release which would be due round about then :D

I thought Civ 5 was for computers only? Not Tablets

Keeping in mind that what he's showing is a laptop that uses a touch screen.

Though, some of the newer tablets might be able to play Civ 5 in strategic mode, maybe.

On this note, my current PC has a touchscreen. And despite how awesome it is in theory to play civ with it, like a general directing her armies with her guestures, the touch controls when playing civ are very bleah. I personally look forward to better touchscreen controls, so am looking forward to this new patch

maybe this patch?

Actually, definitely the patch. But I want more. :lol: I took a look at your blog today. Thank you for giving me a heads up about it. I am also glad to see you as a regular on PolyCast now. Perhaps sometime I can co host. They sent me an invitation recently. As soon as I can get a break in my personal life, I'd like to go on.

Keeping in mind that what he's showing is a laptop that uses a touch screen.

Though, some of the newer tablets might be able to play Civ 5 in strategic mode, maybe.

It would have to have an x86 CPU first of all. Most tablets use ARM CPUs. Civ5 is coded for x86 (pretty much every desktop and laptop) so unless they release a separate tablet version, ARM CPUs couldn't run it. On top of that, tablet hardware isn't very powerful compared to even basic laptops so if they did release a tablet version, it would probably have to be toned down graphically.

Might be that not enough people look in here :dunno:.

The forums and the mods have us split and divided between this forum, the G&K forums.

CIV isn't divided with it's major expansions... I sorta understood the desire to separate some of the discussion but it gets really confusing on where to talk.

For example, until this very week, most discussion was concentrated on the G&K forums and Strategy and Tips, since some mods would move threads that discussed anything specific like G&K civs and concepts... Which was probably most threads made in the last month or so.

I didn't even see this thread till this week because the main page ninja migrated almost everyone into the General Discussion thread by putting the patch note main thread there.

Maybe a sit down should be done with some of the main mods to discuss the reason of being of the G&K section?

Top Bottom