Chinese, help is appreciated

macmert

Prince
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Though I am far from being an immortal or deity player, I'm still dancing around King difficulty but I am having a hard time understanding how warmongering mechanics work, I have provided a game save if you are interested, basically the story so far:

Chinese, Fractal Standard Map Standard Speed King Difficulty, settled, stormed Romans out of the map, nearly killed US, got me a CS in the process...

But the thing is, the AI behavior towards me is inconsistent to put it lightly, one turn Poland is a friend, sharing resources and stuff, next turn he denounces, one turn we're good with Ottomans, the next turn they go Guarded and no resource trade whatsoever, and I swear I saw 2 CS were fighting each other even though they were both allied with US and at war with me! :) not to mention one CS had a Great Prophet! :D

I also failed at culture and tourism very very badly, missed Petra and GL at start and still failing to grab many wonders, not to mention I'm in a huge debt and unhappiness, not it would matter though since my currency is "cursed" and unwanted by the rest of the world.

I am not really looking to salvage this game but rather have feedback on what I have done wrong so that I can use this info in my next game(s), if you have the time of course :)

Thank you very much in advance.

P.S : The save might be an older one thou.

Attachments

• Wu Zetian_0319 AD-1898.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Two things. One, you "stormed the Romans out of the map." Annihilating another civ completely carries a huge diplomatic penalty. Two, you took a city state during your war with the US. Killing CSs also carries huge diplomatic penalties.

Two things. One, you "stormed the Romans out of the map." Annihilating another civ completely carries a huge diplomatic penalty. Two, you took a city state during your war with the US. Killing CSs also carries huge diplomatic penalties.

Thank you, but then AI is kinda slacking then? cause after my "dispute" with the Romans the US (and Poland) DoW'd me, the thing I don't get is, at one turn the Turks were friendly, the next turn (and I'm pretty sure I didn't conquer any city or something) they denounced me.

What I don't get is, if US and Poland would have the chance to get my cities they would, so would they be considered as warmongers? is there any justification mechanics for DoW'ing? and at one point I liberated a CS from US, but no one was blaming US for being a warmonger or anything...

The war mongering system is a bit complicated. The Ai can be a bit eratic too. Your biggest mistake looks like happiness management.

Here are some of the penalties you can get. The more you get, the more everyone will hate you.
Some Leaders have different personalities, and therefor hate you "less" or "more" for your war mongering. The Ottomans probably dont care as much as Poland and the Americans.

-declaring war
-capturing a city
-capturing a capitol city
-capturing a CS
-eliminating an AI from the game.

each of these carries a penalty, some more severe than others. Capturing one city can be a bigger penalty when that AI only has a few cities, compared to when they have many.

If you do all of these things (and you have) then you should expect to be hated by everyone.

What can you do?

-Get some other AI to do all these things first. At least then you wont be the only bad guy.
-Liberate some cites captured by other AI. Its a nice big positive diplo modifier.

As for happiness, you need to be careful about getting the right cities and building courthouses after capture. You need unique luxes. Build all the local happy building you can. If you have not done well with tourism then you may need to switch your ideology to match the tourism leader otherwise dissidence will ruin your day. Captured cities with no new lux and no wonders are candidates for burning / selling to the AI. Steal any works of art first.

When targeting cities for capture, get the ones with happiness wonders first if at all possible. Capturing Notre Dame is always a great boost.

The war mongering system is a bit complicated. The Ai can be a bit eratic too. Your biggest mistake looks like happiness management.

Here are some of the penalties you can get. The more you get, the more everyone will hate you.
Some Leaders have different personalities, and therefor hate you "less" or "more" for your war mongering. The Ottomans probably dont care as much as Poland and the Americans.

-declaring war
-capturing a city
-capturing a capitol city
-capturing a CS
-eliminating an AI from the game.

each of these carries a penalty, some more severe than others. Capturing one city can be a bigger penalty when that AI only has a few cities, compared to when they have many.

If you do all of these things (and you have) then you should expect to be hated by everyone.

What can you do?

-Get some other AI to do all these things first. At least then you wont be the only bad guy.
-Liberate some cites captured by other AI. Its a nice big positive diplo modifier.

As for happiness, you need to be careful about getting the right cities and building courthouses after capture. You need unique luxes. Build all the local happy building you can. If you have not done well with tourism then you may need to switch your ideology to match the tourism leader otherwise dissidence will ruin your day. Captured cities with no new lux and no wonders are candidates for burning / selling to the AI. Steal any works of art first.

When targeting cities for capture, get the ones with happiness wonders first if at all possible. Capturing Notre Dame is always a great boost.

Thank you, if I have switched to the tourism leader's ideology I'd have a chance I suppose.

Top Bottom