The Seven Provinces

Bert van Niedorp:
Dear chief, I think we may have been too swift in ratifying gender laws. Whilst it is true no female has yet set foot in this hall, that does not mean no competent females exist. None would tell me in my face unless asked directly. Probably because I come to these halls to advice you, but my wife tells me this decision made that some people ignore your decrees which devalues your position.
I would like to suggest we would go for male and female laws. Let them try and let them fail on merit rather then sex. And let them who actually proved themselves superiour take position regardless of sex.

As for the warrior I would like to suggest we move him north east, to block off the barbarians from our land. When he is within our lands, we can also
replenish their numbers more quickly. The destruction of the camp would be instrumental in decreasing their effectiveness, but if we pound them relentlessly until they are dead, our warriors will probably be defeated by a second barbarian who just left camp or is just returning. We need more strategy then that. After we moved the warriors back into our land, they can quickly heal after each attack, ensuring their fitness when they actually take over the camp.

Regarding political office, slavery and social policy I have no advice. They have already been discussed at length and I have none to add to these discussions, so I will remain silent on those issues.

As for the actions, being part of the scout unit, i decided to go to the battle school as a student, but as it turned out, they had little new to teach me thanks to the basic scout training class. Instead, I decided to teach those methods. Teach at battle school

OOC: how many of such 'actions' do we get per session anyway? Up to now everyone always done two but I don't believe an official maximum or minumum has been set.

You can perform 2 actions. And also, I am updating the rules:

Actions such as Teach at battle school and Paint a Painting now have a cooldown of 2 Sessions

OOC: I'm of the same school of thought as Jeho is on this one; I try to somewhat imitate the societies that existed back then, rather than using modern ideals that would seem totally out of place, because back then, the premises for ideas such as all humans being born free and deserving to remain such etc. simply didn't exist, and thus, I see trying to implement things like that as something akin to trying to godmode.

Also, why are women upset by the fact that they don't inherit? In ancient societies and so on, I imagine that it was always like that; the sons inherit, while daughters are married off and taken care of by their new families. I really shouldn't get a opinion hit due to that.

Actions:
Write an economics book
Teach at battle school

((Its still relatively common for only males to inherit today. A friend of mine inherited a family business and was expected to take care of his sister until she got married.))

Actions
1:Chronicle History of the Dutch
2:Write economics book

OOC: Reading his post it seems to me that Jeho implemented the laws for his own gains rather then to stay 'true' to 'history'. To quote: "Or maybe that's because I'm around and always ensure that the ruling system is fitting for the purposes of my characters gameplay advancement."

OOC: Regarding historical authenticity, the 'real' Netherlands was proclaimed as a country in 1581 and recognised as such in 1648, rather then started in 4000BC. It was born out of seven provinces with cities and towns, each with their own history, rather then a warrior and a settler who builds the city of Magniv. And I am quite sure they didn't contemplate researching pottery for the purpose of being able to build a 'shrine' to create 'faith'. In this thread, we can make up the Dutch pre-4000 legends and history on the spot, which also touches on 'godmoding'. Within the context of any civ5 iaar, we already running godmode due to our understanding of the game's mechanics.

OOC: Also assuming we had more or less lawless tribe where some people (us) decided to "run the place", I can totally understand "the people" having a problem with half of them getting automatically excluded from our "cool club" (due to gender laws' interaction with political definition of citizen).

OOC: Also, pretty much any law with prominence which does or doesn't get passed creates resistance from the people who supported the other side. The dislike may have more to do with the passing of laws in general rather then the particular laws chosen. (Can you believe chief decided suchandso?? Like I can't decide that for myself!)

OOC: Niro have you sever seen Jeho play these? Everything he does is for his own gain. In many ancient societies, Mongolia to name one, had basically equal treatment. Besides it is relatively clear Jeho does not agree with societies standards, so I wouldn't be surprised if that contributes. But to be fair he tends to dominate these games with the same standard format, so no reason to deviate I suppose.

OOC: Niro have you sever seen Jeho play these?
OOC: I have looked through a few of these on this forum before I went and joined this one. I paid no attention to who was who at the time so I haven't observed jeho specifically.

OOC: That line was a response to magnive's "I'm of the same school of thought as Jeho is on this one" line, as the rest of it describes a distinctly different reason for the choice of law. I should've been more specific about that in at least naming him in the post.

The women are upset because it was traditional before, but now, the law demands they can not inherit, just to be clear. It wasn't clearly defined before, but now, they have a small amount of rights compared to adult males.

OOC: Niro have you sever seen Jeho play these? Everything he does is for his own gain. In many ancient societies, Mongolia to name one, had basically equal treatment. Besides it is relatively clear Jeho does not agree with societies standards, so I wouldn't be surprised if that contributes. But to be fair he tends to dominate these games with the same standard format, so no reason to deviate I suppose.

Male inheritance from a gameplay perspective is preferential because it means you can keep wealth in the family, oligarchy is preferential from a gameplay perspective because it means you can maintain over time political influence rather than having to pander to the mob. So yes I tend to favour social structures in these games that support the modus vivendi of playing in the game.

Also no ad hominems silverman, and Exhera, they have fewer political rights (noting that land ownership has political associations), which is a different thing altogether from few (absolute) rights at all.

-

Action 1: Paint a painting: Available at beginning, 40% chance it sells, +8 wealth.
Action 2: Write a book on economics (need to spread the financial wisdom of Hollands richest man around :p )

@Jehoshua: True. My mistake.

I have recently been rather busy with end of school and whatnot. I expect to get another session out tomorrow or the day after at the latest.

I've been rather distracted recently. I'm making an RPGMaker VX Ace game, playing Paradox games, and regular games of Civ5. I will attempt to not procrastinate this.

Oh my. Well, I suppose I didn't notice that, ahem, Mr. Magnive did not bother to submit the warrior actions. That or I am too ignorant to notice them.

Ah, em, right. We cannot allow barbarians so close to our city! They must be eliminated. Attack, and then heal for a turn or two, and then eliminate the barbarian, and then move back into our territory to heal up fully. If the warrior is ever in danger of dying, retreat to safety.

Session 5
The people of Magniv were in despair. A barbarian band, size uncountable, had appeared in the southernmost lands of the Dutch. They spawned from the barbarians in the encampment near the river that had destroyed the ancients on the other side. And in the north, the double-l people had finally reared their quite despicable and ugly faces. Their intentions were not of peace and prosperity, but of raid and plunder. The Dutch now looked to their mighty chief, well, at least the men did.
The barbarians are invading. The people's faith is lies with their leader, but not if he can not manage the invasion. The scout has been produced, and they lie in Magniv, awaiting orders. The archers of Magniv are also waiting for orders to fire against the barbarians. And the warriors adjacent to the encampment to the south have become more experienced.

What shall Magniv fire on?
Which promotion shall the warriors take?
What should the scouts do?
What should Magniv produce?

Stats:
Heinrich van Absolut: 22 Yrs. Old / 58 wealth / Married / 10 XP in Strategy / 10 XP in Culture / 10 XP in Commerce
Willem van Magniv: 22 Yrs. Old / 45 wealth / Married / 20 XP in Culture / 10 XP in Commerce / 10 XP in Strategy / Did not process second Taught at battle school because of cooldown
Henri van Jeho: 22 Yrs. Old / 57 wealth / Married / 10 XP in Strategy | 10 XP in Commerce | Book did not sell
Bert van Niedorp: 19 Yrs. Old / 38 wealth / Married / 10 XP in Strategy | Second action was not submitted
Aurantus van Silverman: 19 Yrs. Old / 40 wealth / Married / 10 XP in Commerce | Painting did not sell

A small cold broke out in Magniv, and one of the major politicians caught this: Henri van Jeho is sick. He can not submit physical actions such as teaching at battle school. He can wait this out and have a 0.1% chance of death or purchase medicine.

Today is a beautiful day, for the heir to the Dutch people has been born! Willem van Magniv's wife bore him a healthy young boy, who will one day bring prosperity to the people of Magniv!

Also, Bert van Niedorp and Heinrich van Absolut have children, both boys.

Naming of the children is required in this session, or I will name them for you.

Assassination is now available, as is bodyguards.
THERE IS A COOLDOWN FOR XP ACTIONS OF 2 TURNS
If there's anything I missed, please tell me. This is getting complicated. XP, wealth, and all that good stuff is making me lose track.
And yay, thirtieth post! I'm gonna go change my profile picture!

Much as it pains me to say so, our northern lands must fend for themselves while we handle the barbarian infestation right on our southern border. Therefore, our archers will bombard and attempt to kill any barbarian south of the city, prioritizin those at lowest health.

Our warriors will focus their training regimen on fighting in [whatever type of tile the encampment is on, I can't say for sure what it is]. However, they will not go into combat at once, but rather put up defenses and wait until they are fully reinforced.

Our scouts will move to the hill northwest of Magniv, and from there on scout the lands north of us, hopefully discovering the source of the northern barbarians.

For our city, there can be no choice but another band of warriors to defend our people.

Furthermore, for orders that will presumably be required soon, we will research ways of improving the quality of our bows as soon as possible, as they will clearly be required in expelling these barbarians from our lands.

As for my son, he shall bear the name Philip William!

Actions:
Chronicle religious myths and stories
Paint a painting

Due to my new found wealth, and the peril our city is in I see it fit to bequeath some of it to the state to aid in defense. I give 20 of my 58 gold ((what is our currency name?)) to aid in the raising of new men and the construction of fortifications so that all among us may be defended. I urge all my countrymen to donate what they can as well.

OOC: Our gold isn't really currency, but rather a representation of value of our personal estate/land... I think. At least that's the way it works in my head, and it would explain why I am not the richest person despite being the chief.

How does this all work? Can someone give me the basics? I did just read a little bit about it, but would like to view a play by play a bit first. When you get your turn to play, how many turns do you play for? Also, you guys need to take care of those barbs!

Top Bottom