The Seven Provinces

OOC: If you'll have me of course, I'll join as Aurantus van Silverman
IC: Chief Magnive, I, as others already have, urge you to listen to your heart and to your thoughts, not to the word of the doubtful.
Actions:
Get Married
Get a Job

Ok. I am launching Civ 5 currently and opening my screenshot thing. Come on, only a few more minutes and the update will be finished... Don't be lazy, Exhera. Don't be lazy...

Oh, and welcome! What is it, six people now?

Session 4
I am going on without TirolluDorak. Time's up!
Players(Bold for future references):
TirolluDorak / Suleiman van Tirool / 21 yrs. old / 30 wealth / Married / 10 XP in Culture
Et_Absoluti / Heinrich van Absolut / 21 yrs. old / 43 wealth / Married / 10 XP in Strategy
Magnive / Willem van Magniv / 21 yrs. old / 40 wealth / Married / 20 XP in Culture
Jehoshua / Henri van Jeho / 21 yrs. old / 45 wealth / Married / 10 XP in Strategy
nido / Bert van Niedorp / 18 yrs. old / 25 wealth / Married
Silverman6083 / Aurantus van Silverman / 18 yrs. old / 30 wealth / Married

Events:
Within the tribe, the only children born are of little importance. Disease is still unknown to the people. Despite Bert van Niedorp, no wife with too great skills was found and has settled with an average woman. Same with Aurantus van Silverman. Aurantus diligently searched for a position and found a job not too bad: Orange-picker, with the salary of 5. Bert searched and was hired for the coming band of scouts, gaining a salary of 8 once out in expeditions. Two paintings were created in the tribe of the Dutch, by Henri van Jeho and Heinrich van Absolut, neither of which inspired the population greatly(Became Great Works of Art). The people of Magniv are unaware of the laws of the Dutch. The warriors crossed the river for a loss of penalty for attacking the barbarians.
Actions to be decided:
Gender Laws
Slavery Laws
Social System Laws
Social Policy Tree
Warrior Actions

Yay for me! I finally got it out! :D
This is the first time I have run an IAAR, and I have forgotten about the laws. Expect many times something like this happens. Also, I will add new things as I go.

((What would gender laws be? Political or social? By that mean things like holding office and businesses being owned))

I propose in the ignorance of our people regarding the right way as laid down by custom the following laws.

-

Gender Law: complete male (male only primogeniture I presume this means in terms of inheritance and political succession where applicable)

Political Office: Restricted to citizens (citizens being men of adult age who are not enslaved, convicts, foreigners or vagrants, possessing fixed abode either of freehold property or leased within the Dutch state).

Slavery: Legal as a criminal punishment

Social Policy Tree: Tradition

Social System: Patrician class (nobility, hold land and have political priveleges and power), Merchant Class (members of trading guilds and corporations, holding civic and trade priveleges), Commoners (the great mass of the people), Vagrants (the undeserving poor and whatnot), Convicts, Slaves.

-

ooc: reference the section regarding laws on the first post of the thread here as to why I am making suggestions in the above manner, as compared to writing up a list of propositions. Also hurrah for being the richest man in Holland :p

Aslo requesting a rule change, namely the excision of "Available at the renaissance" from the assassination action. This is because this restriction limits our actions to either supporting the ruling faction, or opposing it via the coup/strike/impeachment mechanics, and renders persons who hold no formal position generally untouchable.

Oh, I was rather unspecific about Social System. By that, I mean for the people to author a system the like of which of India's castes. And for the assassination, I will gladly change that(Probably in a few days because the OP is so long and difficult to maneuver)!

And the gender laws is both.

I see no fault with the laws proposed. They have my support. ((yeah for being 2nd riches!))

OOC: Dammit Jehoshua, at least give me a chance to post something before making me look inefficient. :p

Also, don't I get any kind of extra income as chief?

Lastly, still rather busy, so sorry for not being more active.

IC: I can find no fault in the proposal of Henri van Jeho, so let it be done!

ooc: But you are inefficient :p , I usually prepare stuff like constitutions long before the instigating event occurs. As to chiefly income, you get to control state coffers and have unchecked almost absolute power which is compensation enough.

OOC: I'm not saying that I'm not. I'm saying that you shouldn't be acting to reveal the fact! :p

I would like to quit this wonderful game since real life has gotten in it's way and I need to slow down in terms of the online stuff I do for some time. Have fun y'all!

OOC: Is this a time where one can post his actions for the turn?
IC: For the most part I am would agree with Henri van Jeho, however I find his liberalness with Slavery to be rather...appalling.

Is it not proper for the criminal who has offended against the people to be condemned to forced service to repay his debt to society? Do you suppose that the Dutch should feed and house criminals in idle indolence at the expense of the people and receive nought in return as justice demands? do you say that it is not better to put them to good work that by hard labour they might be set aright rather than to fester in slothful vice?

It seems clear to me, and to the majority here that my proposition regarding slavery adequately fulfils the demands of justice. For each offence must be repaid to the last farthing that is owed.

Those who have wronged the Dutch do deserve punishment, and I agree that their care should not be at the expense of the People, but do wish to own another human? The lack of respect to humanity that this implies is horrific. If someone has wronged the Dutch people, then we should just kill or banish him. But to make him suffer, or to reduce him to nothing more than property? The fact that you would play advocate for this clearly shows the lack of respect you have for your fellow Dutchman, your fellow human being, even.

Criminals clearly would not be owned by private individuals, but be subject to the state. A person is a member of society, and if he has wronged it than the debt must be repaid. For those crimes where repayment by coin is impossible it is only fitting that it be repaid in body and soul, and be reduced to a state fitting one who has violated the human dignity of others, the punishment fitting the crim. Likewise it is fitting and just for life to pay for a life taken as you yourself agree along the same principle.

To consider death the just punishment for even lesser transgressions is antithetical to divine justice due to lack of propriety, likewise to defend this just punishment and yet say reduction to servitude is not permitted is hypocritical, for to say such things it to apply the principle of justice unequally.

Banishment is not even a licit option, for it constitutes the cutting of ties and thus is tacitly releasing a prisoner from the debt he owes to society as a whole by releasing him into unfettered freedom beyond the bounds of those he has obligations under the divine and natural law untowards.

@Magnive: I forgot to mention actions such as purchasing medicine is free for the chief. You have no use for money. If it becomes a republic, you'll get a salary.

Well, I'm rather disappointed in all of you regarding the gender and slavery laws!

And that's a shame, TirolluDorak. Well, I hope I entertained you in the time which you participated! :)

And this is the time where you post your actions.

By chieftain's decision, the system which Henri van Jeho composed is now enacted. The following citizens are assigned to classes:

Patrician: Willem van Magniv, Henri van Jeho
Merchant: Heinrich van Absolut
Commoner: Bert van Niedorp, Aurantus van Silverman

Popularity of The Chieftain: Disliked, for the gender, social, and political laws. Most women dislike the chief, but are powerless to make change, while men are glad with this.

There is a small amount of slaves within Dutch possession, all from crimes such as murder and the such.

OOC: Do you enslave prisoners of war?

OOC: I would presume so, however that is up to Magnive of course
IC: Jeho, even though a slave might belong to the State, it will still send the message to the Dutch people that it is a right, good thing to own another human being. As to the ethics of what is to be done with criminals...well I know I cannot force my opinions on the masses by shouting loud enough, a lesson you seem to not ever have learned. Regardless, this argument seems to be moot, though the unjustness still stands.

Actions:
Paint a Painting
Write an Economics Book

Spoiler :
An Excerpt From: Aurantus van Silverman's: Plantation
...so, to put it simply, oranges are not being properly exploited to the maximum benefit for the economy of Magniv, and to extension the citizens of Magniv. The journey of oranges is a short one, it goes from the picker to the market to the consumer, where its journey is over. The task of orange picking, which I experience firstand, is rather grueling if it is to be done all day, every day, trying to get as many picked as possible. As a result of the lack of oranges circulating in Magniv, the price of oranges is too high for some commoners, such as myself, and the majority of vagrants.
As a result of this, we run risk of too much wealth flowing to the Patricians and Merchants, and staying there. If this happens, this top-heavy economy created will surely create tension between the lower and upper classes, and will make the upper class all too powerful, and, eventually, corrupt. But how would we fix this?
My suggestion is to increase the supply of oranges, which in turn will allow us to decrease the price, and make it more readily available for all classes. To do this I suggest we create an organized field where we will plant and harvest oranges. This, in addition to the aforementioned benefits I have already mentioned, will provide more jobs to the lower classes, which will allow for even more money to flow among the lowly, and more capital in the country overall.
Why have we not already done so? Well, personally I believe it is because we know not when it is ideal to harvest nor grow the oranges. Whenever we can properly document these times, we should immediately work on establishing these fields...these Plantations.

Spoiler :
OCC: can i get a merchant class? :D

ooc: It has never been the IAAR way to implant anachronistically modern ideas into presumably antique societies. Or maybe that's because I'm around and always ensure that the ruling system is fitting for the purposes of my characters gameplay advancement ;).

Top Bottom