Bye, bye Civ - can't install it with Steam

lurdo_arkkad

Chieftain
I am a huge fan of Civilization. I always bought it immediately when it was released for the full price. From Civ I to Civ V. But wait... I returned Civ 5 to the shop and got my money back.

Why? Because I can't install Civ V with Steam using 56 k Modem.
And that is why I can't buy games which require Steam. Bye, bye.

Problems:

1) 120 MB Download: Steam does update ALL languages no one ever needs.
2) 120 BM Download: 3% of Civ V are necessary to download. However - Steam gives me only 10% of the transfer rate, decreasing the data rate to 5,6 kBit/s. Effectively I must download 1,2 GB now!

You might think about why I use the 56 k Modem instead of some "fast" DSL (1-16 MBit/s) or LTE (50 MBit/s)? Because it's not fast, it is expensive and in a few villages even in Germany it's not available. Furthermore it's 2,5 GHz or 5 GHz microwave radiation.

"Fast" is a joke. Around 1998 we had LAN with 100 MBit/s in our computer club. SATA has 2,5 GBit/s and USB 3 has 5 GBit/s. This is fast and state of art.

I am a programmer myself and I wrote the source code to register our software. It is save. Each customer has a different key, and installed files don't work on other computers. It requires only two HTML requests about 500 bytes.

I think it's a general problem of the publisher, and not a technical problem with Steam.

So why can't Civ use a simplier and more user friendly registration?

from what you say civ is the problem not steam.
i bought 2 versions of civ 5. the vanilla to check it worked, and the complete edition when i saw it would work on my laptop.
BOTH of them needed the latest patches. thats basically 2.7-3Gb of data needing downloading. even though i installed both from a dvd rom they came on. the update was mandatory, in order to run the game you needed to put in the code to prove to steam it was genuine. as soon as it is satisfied it begins downloading a huge 2.7Gb minimum size update. before you can tell it to stop, and it wont mark civ 5 as playable until it finishes. i dont know of a way to stop it updating after code input.
i use a usb 3g dongle from a network designed for mobile internet access rather than 3g cellphone with internet grafted on. i pay a fee for a set number of GB allowance, and civ 5 ate half of one £25 payment. if you could do that tho i guess you wouldnt be on 56k

i understand why they went with steam for DRM purposes though i continue to see non steam hacked copies of supposedly steam only games talked about. i think we should blame the hackers and ppl like the guy who ran pirate bay for this.

Top Bottom