great artists you would want in bnw.

I really hope it's added, and I do think it will be - doesn't Dennis talk about the book in one of his interviews? It would be very surprising if it wasn't added, though I don't know if we will see both that and 1984.

I really hope it's added, and I do think it will be - doesn't Dennis talk about the book in one of his interviews? It would be very surprising if it wasn't added, though I don't know if we will see both that and 1984.

It looks like they've definitely made a concious connection. They were trying to include the Anasazi as a civ after all...

I'd like to see a more modern musician but it brings up all sorts of problems about what people consider 'great music'. I personally don't like the Beatles that much but I think they should be included with one of their most famous songs, just as perhaps ABBA should be. Maybe 'The Times They are a Changin'' by Bob Dylan? I'd like to see Florence and the Machine, but that's a really long shot :p

As for artists: (sorry, for some of the names I'm having to drop accents)

The Third of May, 1808 by Goya
The Raft of the Medusa by Gericault
The Night Watch by Rembrandt (not the brotherhood in aSoIaF! :lol: )
The Arnolfini Portrait by Jan van Eych (one of my personal favourites)
Ophelia by John Everett Millais
Rain, Steam and Speed by J.M.W. Turner or alternatively The Fighting Temeraire by J.M.W. Turner
Mourning Parents by Kathe Kollwitz
The Lady and the Unicorn by an Unknown Artist / Group of Artists.
Continuity of Forms in Space by Umberto Boccioni

I'd love to see Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, or even a more general A Song of Ice and Fire (rather than going specific and choosing only the first book) by Martin. I know it's new, but it is genius.

Great musician:
Antônio Carlos Jobim, also known as Tom Jobim - "Garota de Ipanema" or "The Girl from Ipanema"

Great artist:
Candido Portinari - "War and Peace"

I'd love to see Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, or even a more general A Song of Ice and Fire (rather than going specific and choosing only the first book) by Martin. I know it's new, but it is genius.

I concur!

Other great writers? I'd sort of like to see His Dark Materials or Harry Potter but we have to keep in mind issues like copyright and licenses - Fireaxis probably doesn't want to get involved with much of that. Hypothetically if they are though, in addition to other books I'd like to see: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer, some classical works like The Aeneid by Virgil, A Passage to India by Forster, On the Origin of Species by Darwin and perhaps a random assortment of great modern novels like The Kite Runner, The Lovely Bones, Cloud Atlas, etc. Obviously these choices are biased by my own opinions so please don't rage at me for mentioning them :lol:

Great musician:
Antônio Carlos Jobim, also known as Tom Jobim - "Garota de Ipanema" or "The Girl from Ipanema"

definitely. especially since he is brazilian.

frank sinatra wasnt mentioned yet also. another good entertainer, certainly more established than abba if you ask me.

I'm fairly certain all the Great People featured so far have been dead: the most recent one I know of is Steve Jobs as a Great Merchant who was, afaik, added in G&K after his death.

So quite aside from copyright, I expect every new artist featured to be deceased, which rules out Harper Lee and Christopher Tin (while I enjoy his work, and agree it would be a fun Easter egg).

I would like to see more modern (but also dead) musicians (i.e. rock and roll, jazz) and artists appear, although copyright is the concern here. Elvis Presley would be good, and I believe Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington are already in-game as Great Artists. Anachronism doesn't really enter into it: having Elvis appear in the middle ages is no worse than having Beethoven appear at the same time.

We're more than a little Western-centric here, aren't we? Let's go by region:

China: Zhang Zeduan's "Along the River During the Qingming Festival"
Tang Xianzu's "Peony Pavilion" (You can have a Chinese opera shot!)

Japan: Murasaki Shikibu's "The Tale of Genji"
Hokusai's "The Great Wave"

India: Valmiki's "Ramayana"
Satyajit Ray's "Apu Trilogy" (precursor to Bollywood!)

Aztec/Maya/Mexico: Frida Kahlo's "The Two Fridas"
Sor Inez de la Cruz's "La Respuesta"
Nezahualcoyotl's "The Flower Songs" (Aztec)
Ah Bam's "The Songs of Dzitbalche" (Maya)

Inca:
Pachacutec's "Sacred Hymns of the Situa"
Daniel Alomía Robles's "El Condor Pasa" (Peru)

Persia:
Jalaluddin Rumi's "Masnavi"
Faruddin-Attar's "The Conference of the Birds" (yeah, this would be a better picture)

Siam:
Sunthorn Phu's "Phra Aphai Mani" (a really trippy epic poem full of mermaids and winged horses)

Polynesia:
Queen Liliʻuokalani's "Aloha Oe"

Brazil:
Clarice Lispector's "The Hour of the Star"
Tarsila do Amaral's "Abaporu"

Hmmmmm. Having real trouble naming great artists from Arabian and African civs. Don't even know enough about Korean culture.

I'd like to see a more modern musician but it brings up all sorts of problems about what people consider 'great music'. I personally don't like the Beatles that much but I think they should be included with one of their most famous songs, just as perhaps ABBA should be. Maybe 'The Times They are a Changin'' by Bob Dylan? I'd like to see Florence and the Machine, but that's a really long shot :p

I feel like if they do use modern musicians they should use albums rather than individual songs as their Great Works. For one it would be a lot less cringe-worthy if it were Kurt Cobain with Nevermind rather than Smells Like Teen Spirit. :lol:

What I would like to see:
Mozart - The Magic Flute
Beethoven - 3rd Symphony, "Eroica"
Vivaldi - "Winter" from "The Four Seasons"
Michelangelo - Pieta (if statues could be included, otherwise then the Creation of Adam)
A Madonna by any artist that made a "Madonna"
Chopin - "Tristesse" Etude
Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 6

What I think we'll see from these artists/musicians:
Mozart - Either Don Giovanni or the Requiem
Beethoven - Either the 9th Symphony or the 5th Symphony
Vivaldi - "Spring" from "The Four Seasons"
Michaelangelo - Either The Creation of Adam or The Last Judgement
Chopin - Fantasie-Impromptu
Bach - Toccata and Fugue

What I would have liked to have seen:
Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet