Cultural Victory on Immortal/Diety

rover6695

Prince
Hey, I beat the game my first attempt at SV on Diety....yet I got crushed trying for CV on immortal.
I find CV a lot harder, because SV I can just tunnel vision my focus on science buildings.
I don't have to worry about culture, so it is more easy to build gold buildings, military units, AND I don't have to worry about open border deals.

CV...I still need those science buildings in addition to the CV ones.
I've beaten the game at Emperor on SV, CV, DV....I always find SV easier but it seems at IM/D it is exponential the case.

1) Is this in fact the case with you all, or am I doing something wrong?
-Any tips?

2) Is DV any easier than CV?
-How does it compare to SV?

My goal was to beat the game every way at every level THEN try Acken's mod.

Propose the World's Fair when the WC has been founded and win it at all costs. Fail here and it is doubtful you'll win a CV. On Emperor you can get away with proposing on the second vote but Deity it must be the first.

You must mean international games? World's fair is helpful for opening policies but you don't win via high culture, you win via high tourism.

There are a few tricks to cultural. Explore aggressively early to get to know everyone as soon as possible. Your tourism doesn't start to act on them till you know them. Get up the guilds as soon as you can and turn most of the greats into works for the early tourism. This shaves loads of turns off your victory time. Take note of the modifiers to tourism. Open borders, religion, trade routes, etc. and use them, esp. on civs that have high culture and will take longer to overcome. I frequently spend 2 gpt to buy open borders with everyone I know all game as it makes me influence them all 25% faster. Go for archaeology as your industrial priority, get those guys at early and build museums for the artifacts, turn antiquity sites in your territory into historical sites to work for culture, esp. if they are ancient or classical, you can get more tourism from the hotels/airports later. Pay attention to theming bonuses and trade with the AI to get them as soon as possible. Build Eiffel tower, while beelining for hotels and airports, build or buy them quickly in all cities with bonus culture through wonders or terrain. Propose and win international games right after to get a nice tourism bonus. If there are a few holdouts after this, beeline internet while building wonders that produce GMs and play concerts. Or go to war to take out someone if the last guy will take longer then you care to play. This should never fail on Immortal.

Because terrain culture gets boosted by buildings in the modern era into tourism, take note of religious choices that give you bonus culture on the terrain. Sacred path/Brazil is OP for this reason as they already have brazilwood. Not to mention loads of other tourism bonuses.

My opinion is science is still very important but optimal teching is less important. I frequently divert to get tourism techs. You'll finish faster that way. I usually find it best to buy the late science buildings and build the tourism ones. Exception at hotels and airports, if I can't build them in like 2 turns in the cities that have high wonder/terrain culture I frequently buy to get the tourism faster.

As you can see from this discussion a high gold output is also important for fast victories though you'll win eventually even without the buying.

Pretty sure he meant the WF. The thing is that you want to win WF whenever it is proposed, and it should always be the first WC. Otherwise it's difficult to win on high difficulty. If you really don't have the production to win it, it's better to never propose or block it from passing as you never want an cultural AI to win it.

IG on the other hand is often not even required for winning as long as the high science to internet is there, even on deity. I generally find IG much harder to win and there might be huge AI with 20+ cities competing for it. There isn't much problem if you lose IG anyways, it's losing WF that is devastating.

Nope World's Fair. Deity AI cannot be allowed to win this if you are pursuing a CV, unless you plan to eliminate them.

Yeah IG gives you tourism...if the AI wins this you will be unaffected as long as your Culture output exceeds their tourism output.

However if the AI wins the World's fair and gets a 100% Culture (IE Tourism defense) bonus for 20 turns you will need some SERIOUS tourism to break through that or you will have to just kill them.

I can't help you on Diety CV because I find it extremely difficult, but Immortal CV is pretty easy if you are already a good player and just want to win rather b than win with any style.

Going full Tradition science into Order, artillery swallowing of other Civs juicy cities (particularly those with Cultural ambitions and GWorks), win World's Fair with your 3 GWriters saved up, Fly through the policies you want, bulb into Internet and use hotels, airports and museums across your now wide empire with archeological digs and a few assorted wonders and then just hit end turn apart from your Great musician bombing once you're at post internet. And maybe take out one massive hold out with military if you're bored of waiting.

Admittedly, that's not stylish, but it's pretty fool-proof on Immortal ;). For Diety cultural wins see other strategies from people pushing the envelope.

I can't help you on Diety CV because I find it extremely difficult, but Immortal CV is pretty easy if you are already a good player and just want to win rather b than win with any style.

Going full Tradition science into Order, artillery swallowing of other Civs juicy cities (particularly those with Cultural ambitions and GWorks), win World's Fair with your 3 GWriters saved up, Fly through the policies you want, bulb into Internet and use hotels, airports and museums across your now wide empire with archeological digs and a few assorted wonders and then just hit end turn apart from your Great musician bombing once you're at post internet. And maybe take out one massive hold out with military if you're bored of waiting.

Admittedly, that's not stylish, but it's pretty fool-proof on Immortal ;). For Diety cultural wins see other strategies from people pushing the envelope.
Such as...CarlsGuides?

You must mean international games? World's fair is helpful for opening policies but you don't win via high culture, you win via high tourism.

There are a few tricks to cultural. Explore aggressively early to get to know everyone as soon as possible. Your tourism doesn't start to act on them till you know them. Get up the guilds as soon as you can and turn most of the greats into works for the early tourism. This shaves loads of turns off your victory time. Take note of the modifiers to tourism. Open borders, religion, trade routes, etc. and use them, esp. on civs that have high culture and will take longer to overcome. I frequently spend 2 gpt to buy open borders with everyone I know all game as it makes me influence them all 25% faster. Go for archaeology as your industrial priority, get those guys at early and build museums for the artifacts, turn antiquity sites in your territory into historical sites to work for culture, esp. if they are ancient or classical, you can get more tourism from the hotels/airports later. Pay attention to theming bonuses and trade with the AI to get them as soon as possible. Build Eiffel tower, while beelining for hotels and airports, build or buy them quickly in all cities with bonus culture through wonders or terrain. Propose and win international games right after to get a nice tourism bonus. If there are a few holdouts after this, beeline internet while building wonders that produce GMs and play concerts. Or go to war to take out someone if the last guy will take longer then you care to play. This should never fail on Immortal.

Because terrain culture gets boosted by buildings in the modern era into tourism, take note of religious choices that give you bonus culture on the terrain. Sacred path/Brazil is OP for this reason as they already have brazilwood. Not to mention loads of other tourism bonuses.

My opinion is science is still very important but optimal teching is less important. I frequently divert to get tourism techs. You'll finish faster that way. I usually find it best to buy the late science buildings and build the tourism ones. Exception at hotels and airports, if I can't build them in like 2 turns in the cities that have high wonder/terrain culture I frequently buy to get the tourism faster.

As you can see from this discussion a high gold output is also important for fast victories though you'll win eventually even without the buying.
Will do!
I take it you do not waste much time on warring/military?

I've won the game on diety with science, and immortal with diplomatic.
Still can't do culture on either...it just is A LOT harder. Agree?

2) Is DV any easier than CV?
-How does it compare to SV?

Don't know if DV is Diplomatic Victory or Domination Victory.

In terms of difficulty, CV is the hardest. Diplomatic is easier than Science. Whether Domination is easier than Diplomatic or harder than Science depends on your ability to fight.

In terms of showing Cultural Victory on Deity, here's a playlist of a OCC with France:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoXdIxCtXxWfykC9N8HMI0vB17NASB6Zi

If you want to see a non-OOC perhaps you could make a new game and send me the initial autosave (or rather, upload it to these forums)?

I have a thread here where people were posting requests for videos: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=559928

Might make a new one at this point since that one is rather old and has been inactive for a while due to me dealing with other stuff.

Top Bottom