Number of Colonization players

I mostly play TAC, though I'm intrested in trying other mods. Not even tried vanilla due to opinions I've read on the matter. Been playing quite a bit since I got very quickly bored of BE. Used to love the original and Civ1 but back then I didn't really know what I was doing.

Breathing some life into this old thread...

I'm very much into Colonization after a long break. Essentially, loved the original game from 90s (played it on Mac which btw had much better graphics than PC version back then) then rediscovered the Civ4 version when it came out. Like many, I was disappointed, did some light modding for myself to make it more playable, but eventually trailed off to other games for many years. Tried Civ5 last year, didn't like it, so went back to Civ4 instead recently (mostly Fall from Heaven mod, which is amazing), then checked out what had happened (mod-wise) to Colonization in all these years. Just finished a TAC game (loved it) and am now trying RAR (loving it so far, but will try to do some minor tweaks for myself).

Its sad that Civ4: Col doesnt have that much players as Civ5. But i guess average Col players doesnt visit Multiplayer and Forums. You find more of them in Youtube comments, i.e. Colonization "Lets Play" videos and such

I played the original Colonization, and have played all of the Civilization series. Unfortunately, I did not know Civ 4: Col existed until the Steam Christmas sale 14 months ago. I have been playing Col off and on since then then. Tried Vanilla, but then quickly found TAC and RAR. I don't like the one plot city radius, so I almost always play RAR, though I don't often finish games due to dropping them when managing the movement of resources gets to be too much....

The way I see it Civ4Col (especially in the RAR version) is kind of a hybrid between a game like Civilization and a game like Transport Tycoon.

Most of the fun I get in RAR comes from building my economy. Trying to always produce more, diversifying my exports, getting the best of the supply chain. Some aspects can become tedious though I agree: if chariots aren't programmed properly, it may require some efforts to reprogram their trade routes. But that's not necessarily the biggest problem.

Maybe that's because of the way I'm playing, but managing population growth and education can get very tedious in mature games. I don't know if other players have the same issue, but since version 2.4 where immigration threshold has been lowered to 400 crosses, I get a huge flow of migrants constantly popping up in Europe. There's just too many people!

Anyway, even if it's very time-consuming, I like to build complex things, so that's the part of the game I find the most interesting. But finding ways to make things less time-wasting would clearly not be harmful.

Hi everyone,

I have counted 39000 39 players... :D
Ok, it is not a lot, but I am really surprised about something. Why do you still like to the vanilla version?? Big question for me.

Another, question for all players.
Why don't you play with the DoaNE game?
I am interested about this point as a modder.
Feel free to criticize it, I am open minded.
Maybe, you are missing some features that exist in other mods.
Or you don't know DoaNE?
I am really interested by your feed back.
Thanks in advance ;)

Hi everyone,

Ok, it is not a lot, but I am really surprised about something. Why do you still like to the vanilla version?? Big question for me.

For me I guess I play vanilla because I enjoy it. The original Colonization was one of my favourite games so I made a point of buying the new version the day it came out in 2008 and I have played it every year since. I have only tried one mod (RAR) and didn't like it.

Me and friends want to play RAR rather badly... i played it a ton a while back but now we can't get multiplayer to work with the mod loaded... if we load original version and direct ip we can connect first 2 players but not more. I'm seeing a lot of stuff about the gamespy servers being gone doing this but cant find a good explanation of how to fix it or run my own... Anyone know?.. I just turned a couple buddies on to it and they love it and cant beleived they missed out but noew that they have it... we cant seem to play it... any help would be awesome... thax..:)

For me I guess I play vanilla because I enjoy it. The original Colonization was one of my favourite games so I made a point of buying the new version the day it came out in 2008 and I have played it every year since. I have only tried one mod (RAR) and didn't like it.

find this crazy... after playing RAR i dont understand how anyone could play the vanilla game again... so bland and so much stuff missing. like putting training wheels back on a bike after years of knowing how to ride a bike...lol

Each to his own bringitonwimps.

In my current game I have defeated the Cherokee, the French, the English and finally the Dutch and am now about to take on the 451-strong REF, and I'm having heaps of fun doing it.

I just hope you can get as much enjoyment out of your version of the game as I have out of vanilla over the past eight years.

if we load original version and direct ip we can connect first 2 players but not more. I'm seeing a lot of stuff about the gamespy servers being gone doing this but cant find a good explanation of how to fix it or run my own... Anyone know?.. I just turned a couple buddies on to it and they love it and cant beleived they missed out but noew that they have it... we cant seem to play it... any help would be awesome... thax..:)
Hello bringitonwimps,

I am using the software LogMeIn Hamachi to play in MP.
You can do lan games even if your friend is not on the same network than you.
I never try with 3 players, but I am pretty sure, it will work.

Hello dalgo,
The main thing that I hate in the vanilla game is that a colonist have a high probability to kill a soldier. How it is even possible???

You have remind me my last game against my king but it was not the vanilla version :p

Top Bottom