Spanish Civil War ToT Mod

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff
I'm trying to add the stackable terrain using CivStack 1.1 but for some reason or other nowt is happening. I have made sure the Visual Basic 6 Run-Time Files are installed as instructed on Mercator's site. I tried it on my spare laptop on the off chance my PC's virus protection was blocking it but still no good. The documentation says it can be used on .sav files. I'm stumped. I know I have used it in the past so I'm not quite sure why it won't work now. Any ideas?

Spanish Civil War Test of Time Patch Project downloadable here: http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php/The_Spanish_Civil_War_ToTPP

Progress update. I have just finished re-placing all the units. This was a very time consuming exercise, but I think it was worth the effort as the units will now appear in the production screen in a logical order and it is much easier for me to find them in the rules file as they are grouped together into a logical order. For now I have made only a few minor changes but I am busy reading Antony Beevor's 'The Battle for Spain' again and will probably be doing a bit of tweaking. Pablo indicated he wanted less units capable of offensive operations on the mainland at the start of the scenario and that the Army of Africa should primarily be airlifted across to the mainland.

My next major job is to start work on the tech tree and events. When that is done the rest is cosmetic and tweaking. I am planning a basic events file for multiplayer mode and then an expanded single player version for each side. Might as well try and reach as big an audience as possible!

Good work so far McMonkey! :goodjob: Looking forward to the finished product.

I found an excellent site about the Warships of the Spanish Civil War which details the exact ship numbers on both sides, including ones under construction, ones being refitted and ships that were purchased during the course of the war. What I am looking for now is a site with some rough numbers and service dates for aircraft. I have found ones with aircraft types used but they do not list numbers or dates like many WWII books/sites do. I'm working my way through Antony Beevor's book which gives some info but the rest will be guesswork unless I track down a good source. If anyone knows of a site or has a book with this info please let me know.

EDIT:
Found a good Wikipedia article on the Aviazione Legionaria

Here is what I have found out so far from various sources. From what I can see Wikipedia seems as reliable as some of my Aircraft books and various websites. I don't want to get bogged down on this issue, I will just be using it as a rough guide, but I would like to make it at least a little bit plausible. The planes in bold are the ones I'm struggling with so far. Any help would be appreciated!

Nieuport 52
Total of 56 with 8 of these falling to the Nationalists. The majority remained in government hands, with only eight falling into nationalist hands, being supplemented by three Republican aircraft that mistakenly landed in Nationalist territory on 21 July. The Republican forces were strengthened by Hispano-Suiza building a further 10 aircraft from spares in August–September 1936. The mainstay of the pre-war Spanish fighter force. The serving aircraft at the outbreak of hostilities were more-or-less evenly divided between the two sides. (Website)

Dewoitine D.510
Two (Website) Ordered but not delivered (Website)

Grumman GE-23
A total of 40 aircraft were acquired by the Spanish Republican Government in 1937 via intermediaries from Turkey.

I-16 Mosca
475 I-16 Type 5s and Type 6s dispatched. First in November 1936. The total number of I-16s delivered to Spain in 1936-1938 amounted to 276.

I-15 Chato
The first batch of 25 Polikarpovs arrived in Cartagena, Spain, on 28 October 1936. Few days later a further group of 10 pilots and 15 aircraft arrived in Bilbao. In December 1936 and January 1937 two more shipments of 30 Polikarpovs arrived in Spain, making it possible to form a complete combat unit of four I-15 squadrons.And in May 1937, another batch of 31 Polikarpov landed in Spain, taking the total number of I-15s delivered to Republicans to 116.

I-153
DID NOT SEE SERVICE (or did it ;))

Fokker D.XXI
DID NOT SEE SERVICE/ A FEW SAW SERVICE. Two samples (Website). Carmoli factory near Alicante. 25 to be built.

Fokker G.I
12 ordered in June 1937

Breguet 19 Conflicting info
July 1936, there were less than hundred in service in the Spanish Republican Air Force. In 1936, the Nationalists bought an additional twenty from Poland.

The mainstay of the pre-war Spanish light bomber and reconaissance force. The serving aircraft at the outbreak of hostilities were more-or-less evenly divided between the two sides. (Website)

Polikarpov RZ
61 R-Zs were delivered to the Spanish Republican Air Force from 1937

Fokker C.X
Two samples (Website) TO BE LICENCE PRODUCED.

Potez 540
NO INFO

SB-2 Katiuska
An initial batch of 31 SBs arrived in Cartagena aboard the Soviet Freighter Komsomol in October 1936. In June–July, a second consignment of 31 SBs were received. A third and final batch of 31 SBs arrived in June 1938.

Heinkel He-51
6 August 1936 for airlift (spawn in Seville), Plus two Nationalist squadrons equipped by November, and the Legion Kondor forming three squadrons of 12 aircraft (36 in Nov 1936) plus 30 Purchased by Spain. Ar68s?

Fiat CR-32
377 Italian August 1936 Italians 365–405 plus 127–131 to Nationiast Aviation

Bf-109
late 1936 and early 1937 3 Prototypes. Messerschmitt Bf 109s from April 1937

Heinkel He-112
late 1936 and early 1937 December 2 Prototype. Spain ordered 19. 17 (Book/Website)

Fiat G.50 Freccia
12 (Too late to see service)

Breda Ba.65
12/13 August 1937 Total of 23 + Caproni Ca-135S. + Caproni Ca-310

Henschel 123 Were there more?
late 1936 and early 1937 evaluation flight then 11 ordered by nationalists

Heinkel He-70
30 (book)

Junkers Ju-87 Small numbers, big effect
The Junkers Ju 87A was used for the first time on the advance on Teruel (Dec 37 -Feb 38), which was retaken on 22 February. January 1938, three Ju 87 As arrived. The A-1s were replaced by five Ju 87 B-1s in October 1938.

Fiat BR.20
113 + (July 1937 12 SM81 total 64)

Savoia SM-79
100 end of 1936 Balearic Islands + 13 Seaplanes

Heinkel 111
late 1936 and early 1937. + Ju86-4 in early 1937 + Do17-27 from January 1937 to spring 1938

Junkers Ju-52/3m
Bomber. 3 Squadrons

Junkers Ju-52
20 from August 1936 for Airlift (spawn in Seville) +53 Italian Transports and 10 Troop Carriers

Ro.37 Lince
First 10 late in 1936 then another 26 (possibly 58)

I'm going to go back to this tomorrow. Would like to do some actual work on the game before I get too tired!

Now I have a fairly good idea of actual aircraft numbers (Just looking for numbers on He111, Me109 and Ar68) I need to find a ratio for numbers of aircraft represented by each aircraft unit. Looking at the initial totals it seems to make sense that each unit represent 5 aircraft. This would give a total of 151 aircraft to the Republic and 249 to the Nationalists (excluding the Me109 and He111 numbers) throughout the game. Most of these aircraft will be given via events. To me this seems like a fairly good ratio, both in terms of units on screen (remember they will not all arrive at once) and in terms of the history. The protagonist of the scenario will be the Nationalists and they are will be expected to launch the majority of the offensives and can therefore expect higher aircraft losses. Well that's the theory anyway. I will need to test and balance to make sure it is not too one sided.

One thing the Republicans could do to even things out would be to gain certain objectives that eluded them historically. This would trigger events that would give them the extra aircraft the blockade denied them (IE the Fokkers, Dewoitines and I-153s).

Whilst typing this post out I took a look at my old gave vs Jerec and totalled up the number of aircraft on both side (current strength May 1938 + casualties) and it worked out to 102 Nationalist and 114 Republican aircraft. Bearing in mind the scenario stopped early as the Republicans had gained control of the situation, I think the figures I have projected seem about right. I will probably reduce the numbers a little for the single player versions so the player doesn't have too much of an advantage over the AI!

Also, found this cool pic of one of the He-112 prototypes used in Spain:

Found the following info on the He-111 from the Axis History Forum:

The Condor unit was K/88 and all four stafeln used the type.

Perhaps not the most conclusive evidence but it will do for me until I find something better. Wikipedia says:

A Staffel was the equivalent of a squadron. It usually had nine aircraft but some had as few as five or six aircraft, others had as many as 12 to 16.

So this would mean a total of 36 He111's or 8 units in game (or 14 in you chuck in the Ju86 and Do17). I will have to make these elite units pretty tough to shoot down so they don't all get wiped out in one raid!

And I finally found the numbers for the Me109...hidden on the website Gareth provided a link for a while back. I just didn't see this section. Anyway, it appears there were around 130 which would make 26 units in the game. This would give the Nationalists a grand total of 289 versus the Republic's 151. Is 2-1 to much of an advantage. Should I increase the Republican numbers to give them a bit more parity or should I stick with the historically accurate amount?

Not sure I can add anything, as we've seen the same site. The numbers seem pretty large; are you sure you don't want to scale them down a bit, maybe to 10:1? I'm thinking of Tech's Warlords of China where you are awarded a handful of a/c per tech researched, which works well.

I would err a bit towards balance over strict historical accuracy btw.

Perhaps you are right, I will think this over. The only problem with that is that some types, for example the Ju87, would only have a single unit. I can make them elite units to compensate but having so few would be a bit naff. Bending the history a little bit and slightly over representing some types to make their inclusion worthwhile may be the best option if it makes the game balance better overall.

I want to work on the stats so that most of the early types of aircraft really become obsolete, for example a Ge.23 should stand little chance against an Me109. This may lead to players only using these aircraft in quiet sectors as recon or ground attack versus Engineers and Supply Convoys. The later bombers will also have good defence so the early fighters struggle to intercept and shoot them down.

I have been thinking about the airlift of the Army of Africa and I think I will remove the airfields I added and replace them entirely with the Ju52 airlift units. I think if I spawn four in Cueta, four in Tetuan and three in Melilla and each Ju52 carries two units the player will be able to complete the airlift in three months as the Nationalists did historically. I will probably have to work out something a bit different in the single player version as I doubt the AI will use the units correctly.

I have almost finished planning the events which I find more daunting than actually making the event file itself. I have detailed notes on numbers and dates so I can easily add or reduce things depending on what I decide about unit scale. Below is an example of the events layout for aircraft as it stands at the moment. This can be further refined and I will add ground units to it too. It is based on the player gaining a tech per turn which should be achievable.

==================
NATIONALIST DATES:
==================

Jul 1936-
(Tech 1)

Aug 1936- 4x Ju52 Cueta. 4x Ju52 Tetuan. 3x Ju52 Melilla. 8x Ju52/3m in Sevilla. 12x CR-32.
(Tech 2)

Sep 1936- 9x CR-32. 7x SM-79 in Balearics.
(Tech 3)

Oct 1936- 7x Ro37. 9x Br20. 5x He-51.
(Tech 4)

Nov 1936- 4x Br19 from Poland land in La Coruna. 9x CR-32. 3x Hs123. 5x He-51.
(Tech 5)

Dec 1936- 6x He70. 7x Ro37. 9x Br20. 4x He-112.
(Tech 6)

Jan 1937- 9x CR-32. 4x He111. 5x He-51.
(Tech 7)

Feb 1937- 4x He111. 5x He-51.
(Tech 8)

Mar 1937- 9x CR-32. 8x SM-79 in Balearics. 5x He-51.
(Tech 9)

Apr 1937- 9x Br20. 4x Bf109.
(Tech 10)

May 1937- 9x CR-32.
(Tech 11)

Jun 1937- 8x SM-79 in Balearics.
(Tech 12)

Jul 1937- 9x Br20. 4x Bf109.
(Tech 13)

Aug 1937- 9x CR-32. 6x Ba.65.
(Tech 14)

Sep 1937- 9x CR-32.
(Tech 15)

Oct 1937- 6x Ba.65.
(Tech 16)

Nov 1937- 9x CR-32.
(Tech 17)

Dec 1937- 6x Bf109.
(Tech 18)

Jan 1938- 2x Ju87.
(Tech 19)

Feb 1938- 9x CR-32.
(Tech 20)

Mar 1938- 6x He111.
(Tech 21)

Apr 1938- 9x CR-32.
(Tech 22)

May 1938- 6x Bf109.
(Tech 23)

Jun 1938-
(Tech 24)

Jul 1938-
(Tech 25)

Aug 1938- 6x Bf109.
(Tech 26)

Sep 1938-
(Tech 27)

Oct 1938- 2x Ju87.
(Tech 28)

Nov 1938-
(Tech 29)

Dec 1938-
(Tech 30)

Jan 1939-
(Tech 31)

Feb 1939-
(Tech 32)

Mar 1939-
(Tech 33)

Apr 1939- 3x G.50.
(Tech 34)

May 1939-
(Tech 35)

Jun 1939-
(Tech 36)

Jul 1939-
(Tech 37)

Aug 1939-
(Tech 38)

Sep 1939-
(Tech 39)

Oct 1939-
(Tech 40)

Nov 1939-
(Tech 41)

Dec 1939-
(Tech 42)

TOTAL 295 AIRCRAFT

=================
REPUBLICAN DATES:
=================

Jul 1936-
(Tech 1)

Aug 1936-
(Tech 2)

Sep 1936- 2x N52 from spares.
(Tech 3)

Oct 1936- 7x SB2 in Cartagena. 7x I-15 in Cartagena. 4x I-15 in Bilbao.
(Tech 4)

Nov 1936- 7x I-16.
(Tech 5)

Dec 1936- 7x I-15 in Cartagena.
(Tech 6)

Jan 1937- 7x I-15 in Cartagena.
(Tech 7)

Feb 1937- 7x I-16. 5x RZ.
(Tech 8)

Mar 1937- 8x GE-23 in Barcelona.
(Tech 9)

Apr 1937- 7x I-16. 5x RZ.
(Tech 10)

May 1937- 7x I-15 in Cartagena.
(Tech 11)

Jun 1937- 7x SB2 Cartagena.
(Tech 12)

Jul 1937- 7x I-16.
(Tech 13)

Aug 1937- 5x RZ.
(Tech 14)

Sep 1937- 7x I-16.
(Tech 15)

Oct 1937-
(Tech 16)

Nov 1937- 7x I-16.
(Tech 17)

Dec 1937-
(Tech 18)

Jan 1938- 7x I-16.
(Tech 19)

Feb 1938-
(Tech 20)

Mar 1938-
(Tech 21)

Apr 1938- 7x I-16.
(Tech 22)

May 1938-
(Tech 23)

Jun 1938- 7xSB2 Cartagena.
(Tech 24)

etc...

Also, it occurred to me that I am planning the initial version to be for multiplayer where the extra units should be put to good use. When I come to making the events for the single player version the will definitely need to be altered in favour of the AI (IE the number of human controlled units will be reduced). I think I can still use the current numbers as a basis and then reduce down for each version. There's so many things to think about :D

This post is partly a request for input and partly me thinking out loud!

Now the aircraft events are worked out I have moved onto ground units. The formula I have struck upon is that one unit equals approximately 1,000 troops. By this system the 35,000 strong Army of Africa is currently about right with 37 units.

I'm happy with the Civil Guards which are mostly for garrison duty and are split roughly equally. The territorial army is, at first inspection, a bit of a problem. Each side should have roughly 30,000 men or 30 units (this is not including Militias!). Currently the Nationalists have 83 Infantry and 24 Motorized units whilst the Republicans have 59 Infantry and 17 Motorized units.

The reason I'm thinking this might not be such a problem is that Pablo told me he had intended to reduce the number of units on the mainland capable of conducting offensive operations (the only force capable of these being the Army of Africa which needed to be airlifted to the mainland). Therefore I just need to selectively prune away most of the excess units. I will try and do this in a way that is historically accurate but also keeps the gameplay balanced!

Now with this formula it is much easier to work out the numbers and timing of the reinforcements. For example the Italian CTV would be around 44,000 strong and therefore consist of 44 infantry units. The International Brigades 32,000 or 32 units.

For Artillery I was thinking of each Division having 3x 75mm, 3x ATG and 1x 155mm.

Tanks are an interesting one. At the start of the game the total number of Tank units is twelve. There were a total of 18 historically. I'm happy to keep the existing tanks but this would mean a ratio of either 1 or preferably 2 tanks per game unit. Bearing in mind the Italians sent 157 (crap) Tanks and the Russians 731 this ratio cannot work.

Looking at the Italian CTV as an example I wouldn't want the total number of tanks to be more than a quarter of the Infantry total. This would mean 11 tanks. 157 divided by 11 equals about 14 tanks per unit. By this ratio the total number of Soviet supplied tanks (731 % 14) would be 52. This numerical advantage, offset a little by the Condor Legion and German supplied PzI, will go some way to balancing out the Nationalists aerial advantage.

I will be going over the numbers again, especially in comparison to the air units, to make sure it all stacks up. Your opinions are welcome!

I'm still making good progress on this project. The end of the core events is in sight. I was hoping to get way more work done this week when it was quiet in my job. However I have been asked to cover a college in a higher position for a few weeks so Civ2 is modding is not really an option if I wan't to further my career! Anyway, once the events are finished it's mostly just a case of testing, tweaking and polishing. This project has the advantage of being a modification of an existing game that already worked pretty well!

The events are nearing completion (for multiplayer) so I have begun to turn my attention to other issues. One big change I have made is to add a few mountain ranges that were missing and make mountains impassable. This will serve to funnel the action into historically accurate channels. It will also help the defender set up front lines which will be very important considering my next change.

I wanted to make sure the units movement rates were realistic but still made for good gameplay. I am considering giving Infantry units a movement rate of 2 and putting the road move multiplier up to 9. Infantry will also have the Alpine ability. This is my reasoning:

Between the start of the war in July 36 and November 36 the Army of Africa was airlifted from Morocco to Seville, marched through Andalusia and Estremadura and into New Castile to launch an attack on Madrid. With the original rules file this would be impossible, and in my PBEM vs Jerec the Army of Africa was very ponderous (though this was partly due to road pillaging which won't be possible in the mod!). With a RMM of 9 and a move rate of 2 it is possible for the Nationalists to launch an attack on Madrid, providing they manage to break through any Republican resistance along the way (ie at Merida, Trujillo, Talavera, Toledo and either Brunete or Gatefe).

It will be interesting to see how the AI handles the increased rates. It may be necessary to alter them for the single player version as it is inevitable the human player will take much fuller advantage of his mobility. I'm hoping for multiplayer it will work a treat, much as it did in Techumseh's American Civil War two player!

First...cool idea about the impassable mountains.But I think that you should allow some units like Milicianos, those "Gudaris" or however the units in Bilbao were named and maybe the falangists or the africans.I think it will be better that way

Second.I am not really sure that I (and some other people) will like a road miltiplier of 9.Seems just too much... 7 will be OK,but 9 seem just too much.

Still...it is your call.

I have a little problem. I need to change terrain under cities so that won't be at such a disadvantage compared to units outside of cities on stackable (fortress) terrain. I'm guessing this may only be possible via hex editing and that would be a massive job. If it is not possible to change the terrain under cities I will be looking for a work around.

Do units with the Ignore city walls ability also ignore fortresses? I'm wondering if I should remove the ability and increase stats a little to compensate.

Top Bottom