What's the right game for me?

guspasho

Prince
I got bored with Civ5 pretty easily. I go back to Civ4 over and over but ultimately, I just don't like the combat/conquest aspect. I just like to build. Similarly, I love Settlers of Catan and the card game Dominion. I like the building strategy aspects to these games. But I still love-love-love the exploration/expansion strategy aspects of Civ4, and that it's steeped in all eras of world history.

In the past I've also enjoyed games like the Anno and Stronghold and SimCity games but I get bored of them quickly as there isn't much to them, they're only worth a few hours of gameplay before there's nothing else to do or you're just grinding.

So what I want to know is, what games should I look for that might be more my style, excellent, and like Civ4, but with more of a focus on exploration and building, and less on competition and conquest? Thanks!

In the past I've also enjoyed games like the Anno and Stronghold and SimCity games but I get bored of them quickly as there isn't much to them, they're only worth a few hours of gameplay before there's nothing else to do or you're just grinding.

I... wat. I don't think those games really have "grinding".

I'd recommend Banished but if you get bored by SimCity games you won't enjoy Banished.

I... wat.

Spending a lot of time collecting resources or optimizing with little or no real point. Like in games like Anno or SimCity where, once you've got your population up to 10 million with all the upgrades and no more room to expand, and you're trying to cram in another 10,000 or 100,000.

Well that is pretty late in the game, I don't think I've ever even gotten a population close to that. Nor do I want to, not a fan of massive, packed in cities. That also should take more than a few hours.

Have you tried Knights of Honor? The best strategy game I've ever played. It's 2d and extremely great game.

There are 3 eras, numberless factions, marriage, assassinations, trade, bribe and many more. For example you can send your spy to a rival faction and he might be a merchant in that faction then you can steal their money or if your spy became general in that faction you may lead that faction's soldiers to a rebellion via your spy.

Btw, it's really cheap on steam right now.

Play Civ IV, make it so you're the only country there, build to your heart's content? Or, play Hotseat and play ALL the civs?

There is Startopia, a classic game which you develop a intergalactic space station.

There is also the Tropico series to consider for raising your Caribbean nation.

Endless legends might be worth a look. It’s a turn based 4x strategy game set in a futuristic world. All of the factions you can play as are very very different. Keep an eye out of the steam sale and you should be able to pick it up quite cheap.

Have you tried Knights of Honor? The best strategy game I've ever played. It's 2d and extremely great game.

There are 3 eras, numberless factions, marriage, assassinations, trade, bribe and many more. For example you can send your spy to a rival faction and he might be a merchant in that faction then you can steal their money or if your spy became general in that faction you may lead that faction's soldiers to a rebellion via your spy.

Btw, it's really cheap on steam right now.

The modless (and old) KoH had dreadfully week AI, to the point that even if you started with 1 town you could (with a bit of load/save in the start) become a major power.
Iirc that changed with mods, though :)

That said, it is more about conquest that Civ is, cause in KoH you actually need some resources to build stuff/have great ideas etc. Maybe Crusader Kings is better regarding that (haven't played those games).

If you want an older game try Conquest of the New World off gog. You can build colonies and avoid a lot of fighting and there's a lot of scenarios where you win without fighting. It's kind of a mix between sim city and civ.

Or you could try master of orion 2, play a huge galaxy with little number of players. Try to win diplomatically and just be a builder. You can play the first one that way as well but it's a lot harder.

For newer games prison architect is pretty fun but you will get bored after a couple hours.

Imperialism: The Fine Art of Conquering the World

That's a game that I guarantee you'll never get bored of, and there's always something to master!

Endless Legend.

Civ4 Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn mod

I'm playing on a lower level, lots of building. You can build to your heart's content. But my game has been boring since no one has attacked me. But if that's what you like, go for it.

Top Bottom