News: TSG83 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 83
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Eighty-third game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Intentional use of the Science Overflow Bug is banned. Its use will result in your game being disqualified for results.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomacy. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Diplomacy victory turn.

In this game you will play as Russia and lead the Russian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized continents map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. This game is a Renaissance Era start. Diplomacy is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until May 1st to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG83 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Catherine - Russia
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Continents
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: This game is a Renaissance Era start. Quick Combat is disabled. (You may turn it on using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.144. NO DLC are required for this game but the Gods and Kings and Brave New World expansions are required.

In this game, you will be playing as Russia, you possess Siberian Riches. Strategic Resources provide +1 hammer production and Horse, Iron and Uranium resources provide double quantity.

You can train Cossack, it replaces Cavalry. Only Russia may build it. The Cossack is the same strength as the Cavalry unit it replaces and may move after combat. However, Cossacks get a strong combat bonus when battling damaged units. This makes it an exceptionally strong counter-attacking unit - let the enemy chew up the front line peasants , then tear the weakened foe apart with a Cossack charge.

You can also build the Krepost, a Unique Building that replaces the Barracks. The Krepost provides 15 experience points for all units built in the city. In addition, the Krepost increases the city's cultural border growth by 25%. It is quite beneficial to construct these useful building in all Russian cities, but especially in cities on the civilization's frontiers.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Thursday, 1 May 2014.

The Save can be found here.

We are going to try something new.

This thread can be used to discuss the game prior to the game's release, so it will now be a pre-game as well as an announcement thread. The save will be available at midnight Central US daylight saving time (UTC minus 6, I believe) on release day (1 April) for you to download and play.

Once you open the save, please do not post in this thread as you may post spoilers by accident. You must use the Opening Action or After Action threads. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hurray for the GOTM staff for listening to the vox populi and for providing an interesting challenge yet again. :w00t:

I also like the idea of the new announcement thread.

This is new to me. I barely have time to play 2 games a month so will have to dive straight in without a practise game.

This is exciting. I have no idea how to play an advanced start.

You can train Cossack, it replaces Cavalry. Only Russia may build it. The Cossack is the same strength as the Cavalry unit it replaces and may move after combat. However, Cossacks get a strong combat bonus when battling damaged units. This makes it an exceptionally strong counter-attacking unit - let the enemy chew up the front line peasants , then tear the weakened foe apart with a Cossack charge.

You tag the victim with a crossbow or better yet a cannon, then you flank with a Cossack and destroy the unit. They are quite effective, I just used a bunch. About as good as Winged Hussar.

Wow! A Renaissance Era start. I have never tried anything but Ancient. Should be fun. Awesome that we can have a pre-game discussion with the Screenshot available!

So, should one head for the coast first, look for a mountain, or just take that spot where the northern Settler is and move the southern one down the coast a bit? I like all those food/hammer resources there.

So, should one head for the coast first, look for a mountain, or just take that spot where the northern Settler is and move the southern one down the coast a bit? I like all those food/hammer resources there.

It is a continents map, so having a coastal city would be nice. I would like to make sure the sea to the south is not landlocked before settling there, though.

I think yes, settle the northern one in place, and scout for a good spot for the second settler. probably north somewhere, away from the tundra (and ice).

Before you decide you must send the peasants out into the fog to check for hidden dangers.

I have just started a test game with these settings. Some things I noticed:

1) You start with 300 culture points, that means you can pick four policies right away. I wonder which are the smartest. Still tradition, it seems to me.
2) Each city starts with a granary, a shrine and a monument. A coastal city gets a lighthouse too. So there is a bonus for coastal cities.
3) I have not found any ancient ruins.

I tried one too and I took tradition opener and a free settler. Then for the first policy I took legalism for free amps. I build Notre Dame. There are lots of choices.

It is a continents map, so having a coastal city would be nice. I would like to make sure the sea to the south is not landlocked before settling there, though.

Yes, I'm wanting at least one of those two Settlers to give me access to open sea.

Same feeling. :goodjob:

:):):)!!!

I think yes, settle the northern one in place, and scout for a good spot for the second settler. probably north somewhere, away from the tundra (and ice).

Yeah, I really like where that one sits. But... shouldn't there be more salt?

Before you decide you must send the peasants out into the fog to check for hidden dangers.

Yes, I will at least move those pikes out to the nearby hills before deciding anything. I got a feeling there's more salt somewhere. Possibly north of those hills?

I have just started a test game with these settings. Some things I noticed:

1) You start with 300 culture points, that means you can pick four policies right away. I wonder which are the smartest. Still tradition, it seems to me.
2) Each city starts with a granary, a shrine and a monument. A coastal city gets a lighthouse too. So there is a bonus for coastal cities.
3) I have not found any ancient ruins.

Great idea.:goodjob: How was happiness in relation to the two Settlers? Enough to cover founding both and a little bit of growth in at least one?

I tried one too and I took tradition opener and a free settler. Then for the first policy I took legalism for free amps. I build Notre Dame. There are lots of choices.

Ok, maybe that answers my happiness question.

Mods aren't meant to succumb to internet demands!! (people wanted a different start era and more game info)

Internet is broken.

I will still play though :)

Awesome, thanks GOTM staff for a really interesting game! :) Also, such a fast and superb response to feedback is amazing :)

I will probably settle the northern settler on spot and explore a bit to all direction to find a good spot for my second settler.

Autocracy or Freedom? Gunboat Diplomacy or Arsenal of Democracy which one will convert CS faster?

I am leaning towards Freedom in this one.

Top Bottom