Two Questions: Colonies, and Harbor/Custom Houses

Gyprsn

Warlord
My first question is: When you create a colony in multiplayer, and someone joins as that colony, does that colony have the option to refuse tribute when the master is using the "Alt+click" method to demand the tribute? I know computer colonies give me everything I want without penalty, but do human colonies get the option to renounce my rule by refusing, and subsequently declaring war?

I ask this because I try to get my colonies to the strongest point, which can sometimes mean they occupy an entire continent to themselves. Now, if a human takes control of that colony, they could be a potential threat (I rarely have an empire that spans an entire continent), and I don't want to be demanding my tribute from someone who could refuse and declare war (which is a likely possibility with human vassal/colonies).

My second question is about the patch change to harbors and custom houses, where the 50% trade yield was upped to 100%. Will the change only amount to 1 more commerce point?

EDIT: Actually, harbors don't give 100% I guess....So it would amount to +.5 commerce?

Don't know about the colony thing, but I can go a bit more into the trade routes.

Let's say you are a free market economy having discovered corporation, your cities should have 4 trade routes. Let's also assume that they are all foreign and intercontinental since you have conquered your continent are are in the process of doing so. The value of these routes is dependent on distance and city size and likely is between 2-6:commerce: without harbor's/custom house.

For the sake of this argument we'll stick to the smaller size and say they are only 2:commerce: each. Trade then equals 8 :commerce:; Harbor only takes it to 12:commerce:; Harbor/Custom House to 16 :commerce:; Post Patch it should be 20:commerce:. So those 2 buildings are worth 12 raw :commerce: per turn, per city, on the low side.

Of course their value is slightly less without free market (a lowly 9:commerce: per turn), but they shouldn't be scoffed at...note that the Carthaginians would have an additional trade route from the Cothon and get 15 :commerce:per turn/per city in the example above.

Out of interest - how would a human gain control of that colony? Has anyone seen it happen? I would expect that it's been made impossible surely?

Even if a human player could come in as a colony, then of course they could refuse demands, or what would be the point of playing?

You create a colony, you tell them what to research. They don't want to trade their research, even if they are really friendly to you, have only green plus signs with you and you have heaps of techs to give them.

also, my colonies are my vassals, they should be able to break away.

again, my colonies are my vassals, they should not be able to trade with anyone. i don't want my techs and my maps, going to the enemy!!

nevermind, ignore this !

Out of interest - how would a human gain control of that colony? Has anyone seen it happen? I would expect that it's been made impossible surely?

Even if a human player could come in as a colony, then of course they could refuse demands, or what would be the point of playing?

second option in the multiplayer tab when you create a multiplayer game:
- Take over AI

Maybe for Roleplaying purposes.
That's one of the enjoyable aspects of multiplayer for me,
but of course it depends on who you play with.

Top Bottom