Initial Thoughts on the new patch

Workshop and Forge don't appear. Instead there's "blast furnace" and "smithy".
Lots of messy entries in the civilopedia unit page, too.
I'll re-verify the game cache and start again...

Thalassicus and InfoAddict mods work just fine.

Barbarians coming out of the friggin' woodwork, too! And this is without raging barbarians enabled.

And you would be very wrong. Judging from your join date, you don't recall all of the massive problems with the initial Civ4 release (and subsequent initial releases of expansions). Many people could not even play with initial release because of graphics cards imcompability and drivers (like ATI). Huge firestorm here.

This is not an initial game release. This game has been out for over two years.

When CiIV came out nobody's system could play it. Just about everybody had to upgrade their computer. Most people even waited like a year and a half to play CiIV. Common technology at the time was behind when it came out. That is why game companies, lately, want to try to have lower end machines play games, because they do not want to lose business. I myself waited and stuck to Civ 3, during that episode. I was here on the forum at that time. For a time in between I had lost my password and account name. In 2009. I don't recall exactly, but I could not log in for some reason. So, I made a new one.

You should try the new patch out. I know you did not update yet. Hopefully you do not have the problems I had. They call me part of the unlucky few. I am not so sure I believe that just yet, with all the complaints I have read and heard.

Same. If you figure out how to fix this, pm me. I just held off naval assault for about 15 turns waiting for me GA to get to the fight, only to find the 0% bonus.

I noticed this was for my saved game from pre-patch. In my new game its okay

Yes, but it's not nearly enough -> if it was enough, games wouldn't almost always be decided by the Renaissance.

Even if you roughly keep up with the leader (or they roughly keep up with you, if you're the leader) in tech, the differences in economic power start huge and keep growing as the ages pass.

That's when diplomacy becomes the name of the game. A leader should have irked enough people to get a dogpile going on. 3-4 Civs DoWing one Civ should be enough to get an opening to reduce a leading Civ to rubble, cutting the economic advantage.

Gold in the hands of a human is OP. You can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING with it. And the resource that the AI just bought from you is useless to them since they have a limitless supply of happiness to begin with. This problem is worse in the early game because gold is harder to come by, but the AI doesn't care if its turn 10 or turn 250...they always under-value their gold and will always throw it away.

I've consistently advocated that the AI be biased toward GPT and not lump sums of gold in trades, which will make a turn-around-DOW less profitable and less likely. Lump sum trades should be really only offered to friends.

Another problem is military strength calculation and the resulting capitulation.

I wholeheartedly agree. Though swarms of even low-level toops are nothing to scoff at, the current calculation certainly does seem to miss a lot (such as purchasing power). It does need a rework.

Does the game after patch crash more often for you? I am playing my first game after the patch and I crashed to desktop at turn 220, then at 260 and then 290. I don't remember crashing as often (or at all really) before the patch. I mean there is autosave so it's not horrible but still kinda annoying.

Workshop and Forge don't appear. Instead there's "blast furnace" and "smithy".
Lots of messy entries in the civilopedia unit page, too.
I'll re-verify the game cache and start again...

Thalassicus and InfoAddict mods work just fine.

Barbarians coming out of the friggin' woodwork, too! And this is without raging barbarians enabled.

Blast Furnace and Smithy are part of the CivUP mod which I believe is included in Thalassicus' GEM mod.

Just noticed on a new game how it actually remembered my settings. Good.

Top Bottom