Slow Gameplay

JoshMetzler

Chieftain
Hi!

I am playing Civ 5 on a MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, with 4 GB of memory and 500 GB of storage. I'm not sure what other specs would need to be clarified to help somebody's response... I bought my Pro in late 2011. I've used it for a lot of different things, and have had lots of video files which, at one point, took up a lot of space on my computer. However, upon noticing that my Civ gameplay has been super laggy, I've started cleaning out old files and caches on my computer and am using barely half of my storage.

Essentially, what happens when I am playing Civilization V is this-- I can play pretty smoothly until the game progresses to around the Industrial Era. From then on, it just starts loading more and more slowly. This lagginess is especially bad when I play multiplayer, to the point where playing is more frustrating than enjoyable because my computer takes 15 seconds to load every single turn and pauses in between every command. The graphics are all on the lowest possible settings. My friend that I play multiplayer with has a more recent version of the MacBook Pro (2.9 GHz i7 core) and his plays perfectly smoothly. Is there anything I can do to enhance my gameplay experience? Technically, I meet all of the requirements, so I'm not sure what it is that I should do speed up gameplay. I'm not very technologically inclined so I won't be able to understand instructions that involve tons of computer lingo... Any help would be appreciated! I love this game but it's so frustrating to not be able to play without the game pausing/freezing/lagging every 5 seconds.

I'd love to see some answer to this. Turns start getting quite slow around late ren/early industrial for me as well. I figure it's just the amount of data that is being changed/loaded in the game overloading the system, but if it's something else that'd be great to learn about...

I have an i7 with 8GB of RAMM, and the game usually slows down after about 100 cities in my civ and a standing army of 100.

Top Bottom