vista compatable

I have played it on Vista and the RC version of the new Windows 7 that you can download from Microsoft's site. It has run fine except for one problem which can be really annoying - during the computers turn (also known as IBT), the game shows the movement of enemy units and battles for only a short amount of time before the screen either freezes or goes completely white. Then, right when it's time to do something again (you finish building something, some AI contacts you etc), the screen comes back and it works like normal again.

This can be incredibly annoying in large games when you can't see at all where AI units move or land units and how the battles go on the IBT.

I have tried all the different compatibility modes but none of them work properly. With some settings the game won't even start, with others there's no difference. With some, the IBT is fine but the game runs much much slower than normal making it virtually unplayable.

If someone has a solution to this that works, please let me know. Right now, I have to use Virtual Box and actually use WinXP on top of Win7/Vista. Not exactly an ideal solution.

I first had the Font Error that now has the solution stickied in this forum, but now I am having it crash when I get to the end of the game. I can play just fine though. I bought the combo disk with Civ3 and CivCity for like $15. It is labeled for Vista. So I've had some trouble, but from the history on this board it doesn't look like any more trouble than people had when it first came out.

A little more about the problem I'm still having: When I get to the end or Retire, it goes through a few of the screens, and then the guy swings the hammer, and it crashes before loading the next screen. Is the next screen high-scores, or is it a movie of some sort? Any Ideas?

I've been running Civ III on Vista for almost a year now.

It plays well but I ran into a few minor issues:

-The save files are much harder to locate than on XP. Once you find the saves folders and copy the locations, you're set. But it might take a bit of searching to find them the first time.
-High scores in PTW were not being recorded and crashed the game.

If you run into either of those, here's how I resolved them.

-I also have an issue where large stacks of units get cut off by my screen (so I can't see there names to select them individually) but I think that's an issue with my resolution and not Vista itself. Either way, you can work around that fairly easily if you have a similar problem.

So, you may notice a few annoyances initially but they're nothing that should stop you from enjoying this great game.

I'm playing Civ III Complete on Vista, 64 bit, and I can't seem to get Sengoku to win. I get the victory screen (you win by domination, the top 5 cities, the histograph replay thing, etc.) Once I exit out of the Victory Status page, it just stops working.

Other scenarios downloaded from CFC work fine, (not sure about the other Conquests scenarios however) it seems to be the Civ III Conquests scenario score screen that is messed up.

I also run Vista and have experienced no problems except for the annoying "this is not the optimal resolution" pop-ups. Other than that it works just fine.

I run Vista it works fine accept for the occasional crash.

I experienced two majors problems with Civ3 on Vista:

*It occasionally crashed a couple turns after loading the game, for no apparent reason.
*Saved games sometimes didn't actually save.

Once one of these problems occured, they both occured and neither one would go away until I reinstalled Vista (reinstalling Civ3 did not solve the problems). Then it would run fine for a couple weeks until the problem started again, at which point I'd have to nuke and reinstall Vista again.

But my sister hasn't had any trouble playing Civ3 on Vista. It works for some people, for others it doesn't.

I've long since returned to XP (on the same machine), and Civ3 is happy as a lark. Not sure what the problem with Vista was (I tried everything to solve it), but if you're a Civ3 fanatic, I have to specifically recommend XP and not Vista/Win7 (unless you already have a Vista/7 machine that runs it fine). On the other hand, Civ3 is only $5 on Steam, and it seems most people either have no problems or minor ones, so even if you're running Vista I'd have to recommend buying Civ3 for $5.

As for support, I e-mailed Atari after I'd run out of options on the Web and CFC, and they did reply, saying that Civ3 is not supported on Vista. In most cases it runs well enough, but if you're unlucky like Salarakas or I, you're out of luck.

Top Bottom