GP linked to civs?

Bakspatel

Prince
There is something that has been bothering me a bit for a while now and recently turned up again. I was playing as the Netherlands and was being declared war by Carthage. Nothing strange about that, except that the Carthage general turned out to be Maurice of Nassau. "Playing as" William of Orange and seeing your son fighting in the opposing army just looked a bit awkward, especially because during the entire game I haven't seen anyone using Hannibal which would have been a fitting replacement.

I know it is detail work and that the game is only loosely related to history but it would create a bit more in game dept when GP are more linked to the civ that they represented.
I would understand that for some civs it wouldn't be possible due to the lack of (or either unknown to history) GP, but perhaps it would be possible to let the spawning of GP depend on the civs present in the game: where the GP of the presented civs are high in their list while those not present in the game are on the top for other civ's lists. I am also quite sure that there are GP in the game of which their respective civ is not in the game, so such people could also be high on the list.

Anyone else thinking about something like this? Or could you not care less?

Much trouble to code, not much immersion gained. Theoretically yes, it would be nice to have a system where it "reserves" your own civs Great Persons for you and instead choses from a pool of all the non-reserved Great People. But I'd rather see them concentrate on other stuff first ;)

I agree. Not to mention there's a very high chance that many Civs will not have a good set of Great People and the whole arguement "He doesn't deserve to be [inser civilization here]'s Great Person"

And yes, the classic example would be where do you put Albert Einstein? Is he German or American, or Israeli? And didn't he once deny belonging to any nationality?

No, I'm pretty sure that they are better of leaving the Great Persons for all of them (though they could enlarge the pool and make it more random imho).

Agree with the above two posts.

It would be nice, and it is quite satisfying when you get a culturally-appropriate Great Person (William the Conqueror as England and Sun Tzu as China were two Great Generals I saw recently) but IMO it's not worth the time and money they could be spending on something else. Perhaps it could be implemented in Civ 6, though.

I also don't think it is necessary. I hardly look at the Great Peoples names, especially not at Great Generals. They are just generic "general"-units for me.

This might be a bit different with BNW's Great "Culture Persons" (is there a fitting umbrella term already? The "Great Artist" will be a painter, IIRC).
It might be a little bit strange to see a French German poet, especially as there will be a strong emphasis on their related Great Works.

On the other hand, I would guess that there will be MANY Great Works necessary to achieve a cultural victory - way more than available for 43 different civs (if the Great People are tied to their "real" nation). If this is true, a tied nationality will not be possible as a matter of principle.

I think the funniest/most inappropriate Great General I ever got was Jeanne d'Arc as the English :lol:

Still, as long as she is a Great General only and her days of leadership are behind her...

Simple. You were an abusive parent who hit your son one time too many, so he said, "Screw this," gave your battle plans to Dido, and led the charge against your reign of tyranny.

Top Bottom