Last 2 World Wonders unveiled

Speaking of wonders never builded: Tatlin's Tower for order!
Spoiler :

or Newtons mausoleum for freedom:
Spoiler :

Throw in Volkshalle for Autocracy, and that would make a really cool combo; make them exclusive to their respective Ideologies.

But back to topic, what would Prora's effect be?

Could it be: +1 tourism and happiness for every soldier stationed in a (coast) city with a hotel?
any other thoughts?

And ISS is probably a WC thing and not a wonder so I still think we will have Panama or Suez canal as a trade route wonder.

Throw in Volkshalle for Autocracy, and that would make a really cool combo; make them exclusive to their respective Ideologies.

Yes a ideology extra DLC, with extra tenants, a ideology oriented civ, a cold war scenario and the Volkshalle/Tatlin/Newton wonder pack!

I would buy it!

ISS probably is an unusual Wonder that gives its benefits to the top 3 contributors.

I really think that the Olympia Stadium would've been the best choice.

Actually - the best choice, by far, would have been the Volkshalle, as not only does it exemplify Autocracy but also is truly a wonder, but it would have been the first 'hypothetical' wonder in the series (apart from the Cure for Cancer from Civ III).

Civ4 had the Space Elevator.

What language is that and why cant I copy and paste it into google translate:think:

you can put URLs into google translate, FYI. or get chrome.

regarding Prora...WTF? I'm fine with including a Nazi wonder if there is a worthy one, but a beach resort that was never even finished building?? seems highly out of place and really not that cool at all.

you can put URLs into google translate, FYI. or get chrome.

regarding Prora...WTF? I'm fine with including a Nazi wonder if there is a worthy one, but a beach resort that was never even finished building?? seems highly out of place and really not that cool at all.

Well, Hitler was a bit of a loser who never really finished anything, so there's not much to choose from. All those wild plans about Germania (new capital) ended up being just plans, Mussolini was a slacker and Franco couldn't get anything done, so have you got? A half-finished beach resort, that's what you got.

Note that Civ5's wonders are all constructions that have existed at one point in time. Nothing like the Space Elevator or Darwin's Voyage that have appeared in previous civ versions.

Can anybody think of another candidate for a wonder that A) exemplifies Autocracy and B) acts as a tourism boost?

Yes yes, we don't have confirmation that Prora serves either of these functions, but just supposing, could we actually think of something better than a 5km-long hotel?

Tempelhof would be an exelent example...

Prora? Really? A Nazi beach resort? Instead of something like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Petronas Towers? :crazyeye:

hello all, my very first post!

coming from a huge civ fan from Kuala Lumpur, seeing the Petronas Towers in the game would be awesome!

Prora beach sucks. Unfinished blocky hotels on a beach don't make a wonder. It would be better to have a fictional wonder instead if no suitable autocracy wonder exists to draw inspiration from.

Tempelhof would be an exelent example...

I don't think Tempelhof is really ideology inspired. It's a utilitarian building build in a certain ideological style, but it wasn't build to celebrate the ideology like the Statue of Liberty and the Motherland Calls.

Let's not forget the choice of Prora (being something for tourists) probably has something to do with the effects they wanted to give it.

I've seen it in real life and all it's horrible "beauty". :wow:

And believe me - it IS a wonder: I always wondered, how anybody ever could imagine to build such an ugly and inhuman construction!

But if nothing else, it is damn impressive, without a doubt. Therefore it sort of fits into an autocratic system that lost every idea of human dimensions and that created "wonders" to make people feel small and part of a faceless mass. Very "Brave New World"-ish, indeed!

Note that Civ5's wonders are all constructions that have existed at one point in time. Nothing like the Space Elevator or Darwin's Voyage that have appeared in previous civ versions.
But the Olympic stadium was finished, and in many ways really was quite a wonder, probably moreso than the Motherland Calls from a pure engineering and size perspective, anyway.

Quite disappointed and I hope the ISS isn't a wonder and there's another one. With Globe Theater, Uffizi, Broadway and now Prora with have four out of eight wonders that are probably tourism related and feel a bit redundand. I would have hoped for more trade related wonders (OK, the Colossus doesn't provide gold on coasts any more and is probably trade related) and another espionage wonder that I'll actually build (the Great firewall comes faar too late to be useful).

Look for a Nazi wonder I'd have gone for the Zeppelinhaupttribüne at the Reichsparteitagsgelände. Early Speer work and synonymous with the whole Nuremberg rally thing that people remember from their propaganda films. It screams that ideology to me. The Prora is just a big ugly looking resort.

But if nothing else, it is damn impressive, without a doubt. Therefore it sort of fits into an autocratic system that lost every idea of human dimensions and that created "wonders" to make people feel small and part of a faceless mass. Very "Brave New World"-ish, indeed!

I think that's exactly it. Soviet art is supposed to inspire you into thinking the worker is paving the way to a new future. Nazi art and architecture is about showing you the awe-inspiring power of the state.

That being said, someone suggested Olympiastadion and I could see that as a compromise (although we are far too late down the path for a change). Hell, it would also be a tourism-generating wonder.

BTW, my hope is three ideology-based wonders and three ideology-based units. But I wonder if Freedom doesn't get one, but, instead, gets Foreign Legions, while the other two ideologies get wonders. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Top Bottom