The "Intelligence" Espionage System - Draft 1.0

pineappledan

Deity
There has been a lot of talk about the Espionage system as of late, and I have tried to avoid the conversations up until this point. I figured I would throw my hat into the ring for what I think an Espionage in one of these games should mainly be about: Vision, information, and decision support.

I think the reality of the current state of the espionage system is that it gives nothing that players want, because players are already getting too much stuff for free. The only thing that is left for spies to do is contribute to yield inflation by stealing X and giving it to you, or rigging elections in city-states. They're just another economic tool, on top of the 7-8 other economic mechanics that the game gives you. Another system that derives its value from yields.

I think if more of the diplomatic and strategic information needed for players to make decisions was locked behind the espionage system that people would use it more, and respect it more.

Spoiler example of a leader UI box in the game right now :

1691722989977.png

Currently Spies do the following for players, with respect to vision and information:
  • Share “intrigue” with you
  • Give vision of a foreign city
  • Gives you access to that city's UI view, giving you access to the following information about that city
    • Production queue
    • Building list
    • yields per turn
Currently, Diplomats further Augment this by giving you access to Vote Trading. Based on how much the AI values Yea or Nay votes, players can know how the AI weights each of the votes in congress using Diplomats

Here is a list of information that players are given with no conditions, and that could be locked behind needing a spy in their lands. List is not exhaustive:
  • Player Score (the order in the top right could be there, but you don’t necessarily need to see their exact scoreboard)
  • Demographic rankings (right now, player identities are hidden until you meet them. Their rankings could require a spy to reveal instead)
  • Diplomatic opinion modifiers towards you (we are competing for world wonders, border disputes strain relationships, etc.)
  • List of Wonders they own (can be visible from the map tiles, but could get a complete summary from spies)
  • Number and types of policies adopted
  • Total number of Technologies researched
  • Total Population and number of Cities
  • Diplomatic status with other players besides you (ie. War, Open Borders, Defensive Pact, and Friendship status with other players)
Other things that Spies don't give you access to, but maybe they could:
  • Access to another civ's top ribbon information. ie. their global yields per turn, when they will reach their next policy, tech, golden age, great person, etc.
  • What tech they are researching
  • Access to another civ’s trade summary
  • Access to another civ’s city summary
  • Access to a civ's military unit list. this guy:
1691723629863.png

Proposal:
Spies:
  • Spies in City-States are weakened
    • Rigging Influence reduced to 2/3 of the present amount
    • Coup probability lowered. Successful coups very unlikely unless you are already within 50 influence of the leader
  • Can no longer put spies in your own cities. Can no longer kill spies.
  • Spies are unlocked at Medieval, and all civs get 2 to start (except England which gets an extra 1 from game start)
  • Spies lose all experience and revert back to level 1 when they are assigned to a new city
  • Level 1 spies/diplomats in any city give you access to the target civ's policy, tech, wonders, and city/population information
  • Level 2 spies/Diplomats in any city give you access to the target civ's Demographic rankings and Diplomatic opinion breakdowns, and Diplomatic status with other players
  • Level 3 Spies Get access to a passive spy mission once that level is reached. Spy missions just add yields; they do not steal/siphon yields:
    • Embed in the Aristocracy: You gain 4% of the City's culture per turn for every Policy the target civ has in excess of you (not available if you are tied or beating them for policies)
    • Embed in the Intelligentsia: You gain 4% of the City's Science per turn for every Tech the target civ has in excess of you (not available if you are tied or beating them for techs)
    • Embed in the Black Market: You gain 8% of the City's Gold per turn and 2 copies of a Luxury resource the target civ owns that you do not have.
Diplomats:
  • Mostly the same as now
    • Grant vision and intelligence, matching spies lvl 1 and lvl 2 bonuses
    • Give a 10% :tourism: Tourism Bonus
    • Give +1 WC vote once Globalization is unlocked (super late game)
    • Give access to Vote Trading for the WC
  • In addition to enabling Vote trading. Brokering Peace and paying civs to go to war requires a Diplomat.
Anti-spy Levels:
  • There are 4 ways to raise Spy security level. Each level reduces the yields of enemy spy missions in your cities by 25%:
    • Constabulary (local)
    • Police Station (local)
    • Free Though Rationalism Policy (global)
    • Great Firewall (Global)
  • In addition to adding a level of security, reducing enemy spy yields in your cities, the Great Firewall also blocks spy vision of all your other information
NIA and Bletchley Park no longer increase spy security level:
  • NIA gives a free Spy and gives you yields per turn for each active spy or diplomat.
  • Bletchley Park makes all your spies start at level 2 and gives all Naval melee units vision of submarines

Last edited:
List of Wonders they own (can be visible from the map tiles, but could get a complete summary from spies)
It's public knowledge, unless you haven't met them when they built the wonder.
Diplomatic opinion modifiers towards you (we are competing for world wonders, border disputes strain relationships, etc.)
Some of them are public knowledge (you stole from them, etc.) and they should always be shown.
Total Population and number of Cities
That's literally on the map... Maybe the UI needs to be modified to count only the currently revealed cities?
Diplomatic status with other players besides you (ie. War, Open Borders, Defensive Pact, and Friendship status with other players)
They're literally fighting each other or chilling in others' borders but you need to learn whether they're at war/have open borders?

I think this is the right direction to take. Information warfare seems way more interesting than yield stealing and the human can already do this in some cases through knowledge of game mechanics. (Thinking of tech costs and pre-built wonders in particular here)

You could also get info on where their spies are

How much of this information does the AI already use/have access to? Would they be able to use this extra info if we gave it to them?

Would it be possible for counterspies to plant false info? i.e, show a false production queue, make it say you've already researched a tech when you havent, make your army look bigger/in a different place. Theres no real counterplay in your proposed system for levels 1 and 2 stuff since you can't really get only 75% knowledge of a production queue or something. Everyone is going to know what the leaders are doing pretty much all of the time.

In the current system I don't like how the AI miraculously knows when I have a small army.

Sometimes I build units not because I think I need them, but because I know the AI is counting them. This espionage system is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
How do you foresee the AI using these spies? Their diplomatic opinion is based on a lot of things they now no longer should know unless they are spying on you. So either that needs to be reworked too and you overhaul big diplomacy modifiers like "you build too many wonders" or "they hate you because you are technologically more advanced". Or you simply ignore this and give AI an asymmetric informational advantage.

I like the idea of spies being more for information, but think so much is embedded in public systems already that this will be too much of an overhaul to be worth it. Plus I do like the current existence of tactical missions to hurt others in peacetime too. That's different from just another economic system.

It's public knowledge, unless you haven't met them when they built the wonder.
Some of them are public knowledge (you stole from them, etc.) and they should always be shown.
That's literally on the map... Maybe the UI needs to be modified to count only the currently revealed cities?
They're literally fighting each other or chilling in others' borders but you need to learn whether they're at war/have open borders?
Sounds like an enlarged role for scouting ti give you better vision of the goings-on in other civs, if you aren’t willing to use your spy to get that info.

Lots of the stuff I am suggesting be hidden can be gotten from, or imputed directly from the map, if you have good vision.
Or you simply ignore this and give AI an asymmetric informational advantage.
We already give the AI some informational advantages in other places to make better decisions. For example, humans have no knowledge of AI army sizes, but the AI knows and makes decisions using that info already.

I like the idea.
I loked the data that you suggested but didn't use in your actual proposal though.
Like the number/type of military units.
Another idea is what tech they are currently researching (or just somehow view their top panel).
The question is how do you make a UI for this.
I don’t know how much energy there would be for more UI work, but that is a conversation I would like to start about what info could be hidden, and what additional information could be given to players that they don’t have access to yet through the spy system.

Another thought I had is that brokering peace deals or paying someone to declare war could require a diplomat.

Last edited:
Ultimately the key question with this model is "are people willing to have less info than they do now to give spies a niche?" At some point you start to question whether its better to just have spies be a CS thing entirely.

That of course is a preference its not a question of whether its mechanically good or not.

The only mechanics issue I'll note is that spy defense has absolutely 0% to do until you get level 3 spies. So for example I wouldn't bother with constabularies for a long time in the game (unless I knew england was in the game), because I wouldn't expect level 3 spies for quite a while. Some people might also balk at the loss of counterspies but frankly I have no issue with that part, I think counterspies have gotten trumped up unnecessarily, there is nothing wrong with spies representing your "offensive spying" and your defense buildings being your "counterspying". The game is already heavily abstracted, I don't need actual counterspies in my cities to believe that there is counterspy machinery protecting my cities (represented by various buildings built).

The only mechanics issue I'll note is that spy defense has absolutely 0% to do until you get level 3 spies. So for example I wouldn't bother with constabularies for a long time in the game (unless I knew england was in the game),
Note that I suggested spies start in medieval and that you get 2 on unlock, so by the time constabs unlock you’ve already had a full era of spies.

If spies are going to fill a key information gathering roll, I don’t think they can be held back until renaissance. At minimum they need to unlock at the same time as defensive pacts (currently unlocked at the start of medieval era), or you could get caught by a multi-front war with no way of knowing that ahead of time.

Last edited:
Note that I suggested spies start in medieval and that you get 2 on unlock, so by the time constabs unlock you’ve already had a full era of spies.
That part makes sense to me (hehe its not like spying was invented in the renaissance)

Their diplomatic opinion is based on a lot of things they now no longer should know unless they are spying on you. So either that needs to be reworked too and you overhaul big diplomacy modifiers like "you build too many wonders" or "they hate you because you are technologically more advanced". Or you simply ignore this and give AI an asymmetric informational advantage.
A thought: You could still have all the opinions visible, but you need a spy to get the breakdown
All these diplo modifiers currently have a value in parentheses at the end. We could hide that value unless you have a spy with them.
Spoiler :
1691772660003.png

But Sabotage would also be a unique spy component. I would also like to idea to delete the demografics tab and the info for number of policies and technologies so spYing and friendships would be the only way of knowing.

I could see 1 extra lvl 3 spy assignment being embedding in the Military Brass, which gives your units a 25% combat bonus vs that city, and gives you access to the target civ's unit list.

The main takeaways are that:
  • No counterspies
  • Spies are more numerous, earlier, and weaker
  • No more advanced actions
    • As a result spies can't die. No more failure chances (except from failed coups in city-states)
    • The very small list of Lvl 3 pseudo-actions are permanent until reassigned, and so they can take effect immediately with no lag.
  • Spies mainly give you vision and information, the yields are tiny and almost irrelevant, unless you are extremely behind.
  • Spies don't overtly hurt or steal from their target
  • Spy defense only hurts other players, but doesn't protect you from harm (probably means police station and Constabulary will need to do more of something else).
This allows spies to be used passively, without taking up a lot of mental space, and demanding repeatedly being prompted to reassign them.
The goal is to make spies necessary, but not a heavily involved system that takes your time and energy away from more robust systems like city and unit management.

Last edited:
The main takeaways are that:
  • No counterspies
  • Spies are more numerous, earlier, and weaker
  • No more advanced actions
    • As a result spies can't die. No more failure chances (except from failed coups in city-states)
    • The very small list of Lvl 3 pseudo-actions are permanent until reassigned, and so they can take effect immediately with no lag.
  • Spies mainly give you vision and information, the yields are tiny and almost irrelevant, unless you are extremely behind.
  • Spies don't overtly hurt or steal from their target
  • Spy defense only hurts other players, but doesn't protect you from harm (probably means police station and Constabulary will need to do more of something else).
This allows spies to be used passively, without taking up a lot of mental space, and demanding repeatedly being prompted to reassign them.
The goal is to make spies necessary, but not a heavily involved system that takes your time and energy away from more robust systems like city and unit management.
Check me, you said spy xp resets when it leaves a city. Does that include CS as well?

Check me, you said spy xp resets when it leaves a city. Does that include CS as well?
Yes, one of the things I set out to do with this is also weaken spies in city-states. Since you will get more of them, they need to be made weaker or else they will inflate :c5influence:CS influence.

Could also look at reducing the amount of influence for Rigs, and lowering Coup success rates, so they require <50 influence difference between you and the leader for any decent success rate.
Another thought I had is that rigging could just be removed entirely, and spies in CS make your diplomatic actions 25% more effective in that city, so they aren't just passive influence generators.

Alternatively, the spies in major civs start to give yields at lvl 3, so spies in City-states could give the extra % for diplomatic actions, and start rigging at lvl 3, and get rid of coups entirely. That would match the investment and timing of major faction spies.

Last edited:
About asymmetrical AI info: you could display an ambiguous "tech lead" instead of the exact amount of techs.
ex. With the current system you see they have 22 techs.
With the new system you see "technology: very ahead" or "ahead", etc.
Then when you place a spy you see the exact amount.
Then with a leveled spy you see exactly what tech they are researching (or have researched).

Because AI opinion is based on tech lead/gap, we can leave that info as always available, then have an exact amount revealed by spying.

Top Bottom