What will be the remaining civs in Brave New World?

What will be the remaining civs in Brave New World?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the front-runners are definitely most likely, no doubt.....Portugal, Zulu, Indonesia, Native American civ, Kongo, and Brazil

Those sound pretty solid, the rest are toss up iffys

I'd argue that Brazil is pretty iffy. Mind you, I'm not saying it would be a bad thing - would be a nice representation for the more modern side of South America - but I find it rather unlikely, given the tendency to avoid the region and the tendency to avoid colonial states.

I'd argue that Brazil is pretty iffy. Mind you, I'm not saying it would be a bad thing - would be a nice representation for the more modern side of South America - but I find it rather unlikely, given the tendency to avoid the region and the tendency to avoid colonial states.

The fact that that region has been underserved is exactly why I think Brazil will be represented; I think Firaxis tries to achieve a modicum of geographical diversity.

With both tourism and trade routes being a major feature of the expansion, I wouldn't write Brazil off by any means.

Not sure on that - but other religious city-states would not be tough to get:
Zoroastrianism has a nice collection of cities with a "Fire Temple" that could be used, that are not part of the Persian city list atm. Starting with Udvada

Bagan would be a great candidate too. Southeast Asia probably has a lot of additional examples.

Bagan would be a great candidate too. Southeast Asia probably has a lot of additional examples.

Yeah, Bagan/Pagan would be a very nice choice for a city state
At least if the Pagan Kingdom/Burma won't make it as a full civ ;)

The United States and Carthage are in, so they don't always avoid them.

In fact, Carthage is in, while Phoenicia is not... unfortunately :blush:
But this is a special case of course, Carthage is way too old and significant to be historically considered as a colonial civ
They have put enough down on the table (while being unique enough) to be considered as a separate civ

Just like Brazil.

I absolutely agree with the being unique enough part, but I'm not so sure in the they have put down enough on the table part...
I consider them somewhat young to be included in a civilization game

Having said that, I'm on the edge with Brazil
I'm generally against modern colonial civs, but if they really have to put one in, it should definitely be Brazil

Carthage is way too old and significant to be historically considered as a colonial civ

I don't think he meant "colonial" as in the Colonial Period, but rather as a form of the word "colony".

I don't think he meant "colonial" as in the Colonial Period, but rather as a form of the word "colony".

Naturally
My sentence may not have been perfectly clear
Nevertheless, we were talking about the same thing with CivOasis and Menzies

I really want Brazil, Italy, Indonesia, Vietnam, and other East European civs. I don't really like the ancient civs they don't really do anything for me because I do not know anything about them(I also can not say their names for leaders or cities).

Last time, someone - I don't recall who, but for some reason I want to attribute it to JFD - created a map, showing the borders of all the civs already included or confirmed. It wasn't 100% accurate, nor was it by any means a sure-fire, but it did serve as an interesting way to look at the "geographic distribution" question, and see regions where there were still large gaps.

Well, overlap is obviously possible, just as long as not too many cities will share names. That's why I'm still a little unsure about Assyria. I am, however, pretty sure we'll get a Native American horse civ because that's a fairly unrepresented part of history.
As for my other guesses, Khazars and Indonesia are both in there because they seem like they would go with the expansion's themes and they don't overlap much. The rest if my guesses are pretty common.

I really want Brazil, Italy, Indonesia, Vietnam, and other East European civs. I don't really like the ancient civs they don't really do anything for me because I do not know anything about them(I also can not say their names for leaders or cities).

One of the aspects that got me addicted to the Civ series was learning about civilizations I did not previously know much about. First through the civilopedia, then through other means.

One of the aspects that got me addicted to the Civ series was learning about civilizations I did not previously know much about. First through the civilopedia, then through other means.

True. I don't feel like I can loose with this expansion because I either get civs I know and get to play as them, or I do get the benefit of learning about civs I know nothing about. However, given the choice I would much rather have a civ a know a little about over one I know nothing about.

Last time, someone - I don't recall who, but for some reason I want to attribute it to JFD - created a map, showing the borders of all the civs already included or confirmed. It wasn't 100% accurate, nor was it by any means a sure-fire, but it did serve as an interesting way to look at the "geographic distribution" question, and see regions where there were still large gaps.

I remember that map, but it wasn't mine. In the meantime, I threw together a rough one as a reference, where the game's current Civs are imposed over their modern day borders (except I didn't know how to place Byzantium or the Huns and few didn't fit quite so succinctly into their modern-day equivalents):

Spoiler :

It doesn't do these civs as civilisations justice, but it does show the gaps.

I then added the clear-cut favourites from the poll (Brazil, the Zulu, Portugal, the Kongo and Indonesia):

Spoiler :

I know it isn't supposed to be super accurate or well done (not to mention it's based on modern borders, which would make every historian scream), but that maps' pretty off in a few places (Incas should also be in Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia, for starters), all that aside (and I don't mean to be too nitpicky of course) it gives a good idea of how spread everything is. Currently the major gaps are in South America and Central/South Africa, while there's minor gaps in SE Asia below Thailand, N. America above the US, and Central Asia.

I know it isn't supposed to be super accurate or well done (not to mention it's based on modern borders, which would make every historian scream), but that maps' pretty off in a few places (Incas should also be in Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia, for starters), all that aside (and I don't mean to be too nitpicky of course) it gives a good idea of how spread everything is. Currently the major gaps are in South America and Central/South Africa, while there's minor gaps in SE Asia below Thailand, N. America above the US, and Central Asia.

Is that not Peru? What I used for the Incas.

EDIT: You're right. I guess I don't remember my South American countries. I think I'll just fix that up.

I consider [Brazil] somewhat young to be included in a civilization game

You realize they got their independence shortly after the French Revolution, right? Brazil isn't that much younger than the United States (or Haiti, for that matter, which got basically won its independence *during* the French Revolution).

I am, however, pretty sure we'll get a Native American horse civ because that's a fairly unrepresented part of history.

Fun fact: Horses aren't native to the Americas. Those tribes only have horses because of the Europeans.

Moderator Action: Deleted inappropriate comments. Please stay on topic.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom