Crusader Kings 2

You could be correct, havent played in a while, and before that it were only muslim and india games, so succession there is pretty obvious. In which case its even better :p

I dont understand why ultimo is considered that good? I havent used it yet, but only difference with primo is that you dont need high CA. But the main risk of getting an heir that you dont want remains, and an untimely death results in a regency with older siblings that dont like you... I remember my shortest reigning period was one of 3 days when i suddenly became a eight year old ruler....

Well, my Hungary game went to hell pretty quickly.

My ruler was aging rapidly and I wasn't going to get to institute elective before he died, or at least it didn't look like it was going to happen.

I had two heirs, neither was a son since I had no kids. The first heir was set to inherit the empire title and a couple of counties. The other heir was set to inherit BOTH the kingdom of Hungary and the kingdom of Wallachia. I was going to have to play as the Emperor heir. I couldn't get enough plot power to kill off either one of them so, in an effort to manage the gavelkind mess that was about to happen, I granted the empire heir one of the kingdom level titles (Hungary).

Not my smartest move but I didn't really know what to do.

Then my wife, who I didn't even realize was preggo, pops out a son! And then another one!

My ruler, shocked and appalled that this has happened, promptly dies.

Now, I am playing an infant emperor with NO kingdom titles, NO duchies, and a couple of counties (I have the capital county at least...). My two uncles almost immediately declared war on each other and decimated the fighting age population of the empire while I watched helplessly.

I may revert to an earlier save on this one or I may give it up. I don't feel like sitting around for 15 years with limited options and an intrigue score of 0.

I dont understand why ultimo is considered that good? I havent used it yet, but only difference with primo is that you dont need high CA. But the main risk of getting an heir that you dont want remains, and an untimely death results in a regency with older siblings that dont like you... I remember my shortest reigning period was one of 3 days when i suddenly became a eight year old ruler....

Ultimo is flat out better than Primo. Besides the CA requirement, its a lot easier to get a desireable heir into power. If you get a good son, you can just stop having children via divorce or (one) assassination and that kid is now your heir. Whereas if you get a bad first son in primo, you have to murder him and any subsequent ones to get the right child.

While an untimely death is more likely to get a regency, your rulers will generally live longer and get long reign bonuses because they come to power young. A good education always helps. And if you inherit as a minor you can still choose your guardian.

So I downloaded the Game of Thrones mod and randomly picked the New Ghis in the far east to play. Turns out half the art is unfinished in this area so most of my knights follow the brave question mark into battle. It's not exactly the core focus of GoT, though, so it's forgivable.

Some of the troop numbers are insane, though.

So I downloaded the Game of Thrones mod and randomly picked the New Ghis in the far east to play. Turns out half the art is unfinished in this area so most of my knights follow the brave question mark into battle. It's not exactly the core focus of GoT, though, so it's forgivable.

Some of the troop numbers are insane, though.

I like the slave camps. Thousands of LI who also decrease build costs.

In Elder Kings, we get a variety of differently-coloured question marks to follow into battle. :)

I like the slave camps. Thousands of LI who also decrease build costs.

I think I have an average one right now (whichever one gives you around 2,500 light infantry)--I need to go on more slave raids to build it up, apparently. I also lost a level when I switched my capital from New Ghis to Ghis. The colonization was kind of expensive but for the most part I'm fast-forwarding through the game at high speeds because there are so few Ghiscari harpy-followers I can't marry into families and get claims through less respectable methods. Instead, I'm stuck letting my diplomat fabricate. :(

Ultimo is flat out better than Primo. Besides the CA requirement, its a lot easier to get a desireable heir into power. If you get a good son, you can just stop having children via divorce or (one) assassination and that kid is now your heir. Whereas if you get a bad first son in primo, you have to murder him and any subsequent ones to get the right child.

While an untimely death is more likely to get a regency, your rulers will generally live longer and get long reign bonuses because they come to power young. A good education always helps. And if you inherit as a minor you can still choose your guardian.

Well yeah its better than primo, but still nowhere as good as elective :p

I will never ever use Ultimogeniture because I'd hate it if my bratty younger brother got stuff I, as the older brother, should've gotten but never did.

Yes, I let my real life experiences dictate my gameplay too much. Usually I go primogeniture or elective/tanistry depending on my mood. I try to favor oldest sons as much as I can if I'm using the latter, for some mysterious reason, unless one of their relatives are hot geniuses.

Well yeah its better than primo, but still nowhere as good as elective :p

I never said it was.
I would probably rank it as the 2nd best law.

Yeah but elective feels like cheese.

Quite, though Ultimo feels even more gamey even though its inferior.

I will never ever use Ultimogeniture because I'd hate it if my bratty younger brother got stuff I, as the older brother, should've gotten but never did.

Yes, I let my real life experiences dictate my gameplay too much. Usually I go primogeniture or elective/tanistry depending on my mood. I try to favor oldest sons as much as I can if I'm using the latter, for some mysterious reason, unless one of their relatives are hot geniuses.

I am the youngest child but Ultimo still feels weird to switch to. If I'm RPing, I almost always try to get Primo.

I am the youngest child but Ultimo still feels weird to switch to. If I'm RPing, I almost always try to get Primo.

You're the kind of younger sibling all older siblings should have. :goodjob:

Though in all seriousness thinking about it my brother, while ambitious, isn't the type who'd want to be a leader, he'd rather be the man behind the man, controlling things behind the scenes. That's a smart idea.

I guess I always "RP" play, I'm not a particularly effective powergamer and considering how often I "cheat" to fix the papacy (although it is significantly better in the current version of the game, I will say that), I don't bother with ironman mode.

They are called Jasmines, brah. ;)

Yeah, I try to RP in this game as much as possible. To me, that's what makes this more than just another paint-the-map-color-X strategy game.

Now that being said, there is a particular way I like to RP in this game: I prefer high intrigue and high diplomacy rulers and I enjoy trying to scoop up land/titles without open warfare as much as possible.

Of course it helps that there is plenty of non-combat stuff to do in this game and decisions to make outside of who to attack next. A lot of people complain about the internal politics but I think it's fun to manage and balance both the threats from without and those from within.

I like this game a lot better than EUIV (steam summer sale) so far. It just doesn't seem like there's a lot to do in that game other than warfare, especially compared to CKII.

I guess I always "RP" play, I'm not a particularly effective powergamer and considering how often I "cheat" to fix the papacy (although it is significantly better in the current version of the game, I will say that), I don't bother with ironman mode.

I'm usually happy enough with a kingdom or two, if I really want to have an empire (if I'm not in one already like the ERE) then I'll only rule it if my family rules the other kingdoms within it to begin with.

They are called Jasmines, brah. ;)

Wot that Jasmine you talk of? You know mean like from Aladdin or something?

hm the duke guy is probably easier as you don't have the seljuks breathing down your neck. anyway, i've played a bunch today and conquered africa from mali to the nile delta whilst simultaneously fighting off the ilkhanate and whatever family feels like ruling egypt.

subi, the hard part wasn't getting to the kingdom of jerusalem, it's not being effed over by the mongols and muslims.

hm the duke guy is probably easier as you don't have the seljuks breathing down your neck. anyway, i've played a bunch today and conquered africa from mali to the nile delta whilst simultaneously fighting off the ilkhanate and whatever family feels like ruling egypt.

subi, the hard part wasn't getting to the kingdom of jerusalem, it's not being effed over by the mongols and muslims.

Now that I think about it, I might have actually married into the Byzantine emperor's family and inherited Byzantium, so the Muslims were no problem. Then stopped for whatever reason.

Got bored with my Britannia game with about 20 years left. Emperor of Britannia, King of Ireland, France, and Denmark, with England, Scotland, Wales, Brittany, the Pope, and large part of Germany under my vassalage.

Spoiler :

So then I decided to give that Norman Challenge thing a go. Started as that de Bailleul guy in Charisanon. Not really sure what the big deal is...

Spoiler :

How in the world did the Aegean Islands get a good chunk of southern Russia in your Britannia game?

Top Bottom