Crusader Kings II: Right now for free on GOG

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
Most people here probably already know the grand strategy games from Paradox.
These games are real-time strategy games where you manage your empire, build armies and conduct diplomacy.
One of them, the 11 years old Crusader Kings II is currently free on GOG, so if you feel the urge for more 4X, then go and download it right now.

Didn't Crusader Kings II go free-to-play quite a while ago? It's been free on Steam for a rather long time.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Didn't Crusader Kings II go free-to-play quite a while ago? It's been free on Steam for a rather long time.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear
That's true, a year and a half or more ago, I think.

It certainly is a ploy to get people playing the game so they buy the DLC... although every so often they'll have a Humble Bundle on that, too. I think they had one where you could get everything for about $20 shortly before it went free-to-play.

I'm not sure the DLCs are as "necessary" as they are for some other Paradox games. CKII is from 2012, and Paradox games had about as many expansions as Civ games back then (usually two), so they weren't designing them to have DLC in six months like they do now. I think CKII was there first game that had lots of expansions.

I'd still recommend it. It didn't pull me in quite as much as some of Paradox's other games, but for a lot of people it's their fave. Play a nice mid-tier duke in the Byzantine Empire or HRE, and have to deal with counts under you, other dukes alongside you, and the Emperor above you, fun times.

Top Bottom