Unbelievable victory over incompetent AI

kamex

Emperor
In all my games of CIV V I've never won quite like this...

Me: Babylon, Continents, Standard size and time.

Persia had become a super runaway since around 1500AD killing 4 of the other players, and as the AI has unlimited :) and with Persias UA, thats not good for me.

By the late 1800, he was producing over 1300GPT!!! :mischief:

Yet I still won by space in 1960... :mischief: Can't believe I did it. I was expecting to lose to Darious spaceship any turn... But here is the weird thing...

According to the victory screen, Darious had built every spacship part, some thirty turns or so before I built my last one. Also, he built the UN, and still didn't win the vote (7/10) despite having in excess of 1000 gpt to bribe the CSs...

WTF!? :confused:

Is this proof the AI doesn't know how to win!? I can't believe that, especially the spaceship parts!

I can't explain that.

The problem is Emperor difficulty - AI win times tend to range from T300 to T400s. Usually the ones who win big and early are the ones who ran over everyone but you and an AI or two, and they are called Hiawatha (T317)

The problem is Emperor difficulty - AI win times tend to range from T300 to T400s. Usually the ones who win big and early are the ones who ran over everyone but you and an AI or two, and they are called Hiawatha (T317)

This is pretty much the truth of it. Emperor will sometimes test your ability to survive an early rush. However it won't really test your ability to be efficient at other victories conditions because they muck around even more than you do... I'm not sure what exactly is slowing it down. I think it's just much slower science than immortal or deity, who knows maybe in the next update they will not only spend all that gold on rush buying a bunch of science buildings.

This is pretty much the truth of it. Emperor will sometimes test your ability to survive an early rush. However it won't really test your ability to be efficient at other victories conditions because they muck around even more than you do... I'm not sure what exactly is slowing it down. I think it's just much slower science than immortal or deity, who knows maybe in the next update they will not only spend all that gold on rush buying a bunch of science buildings.

I actually want them to make Emp more like Immortal, just without the AI science bonuses/free techs, wonder construction and barb bonuses

Then the jump between the two wouldn't be that large eh

I've actually seen Darius win a Science Victory before, and that was a pretty long time ago, and on prince difficulty.

This one hundred times over. Hate Hiawatha and his runaways. :mad:

At the end, he had 100% Literacy and all Spaceship parts built. Maybe he built one on another continent and was struggling to move it back to the capital? :confused:

Idk. It happens sometimes, though. I remember a game I played against Germany once, on the Terra map, in which I was the Songhai. They had conquered every other civ, and had 35+ cities. I was able to keep our science levels relatively close, though, and held him off from my capitol (although he did take 2-3 of my large, original cities). I managed to complete the utopia project on my flagship city on another continent (my capitol was on Bismark's continent) and win.

At any time, however, he could have steamrolled me if he had organized his troops... Giant Death Robots > everything else, and he had them. But he wouldn't send more than one at a time...

This was before G&K, btw.

Beats me, AI is not rational after all. It could possibly be that one of the consequences of civs now 'trying to win' is that they target a particular victory path, and will not let themselves win in any other way. If e.g. the AI had decided to go for a cultural win, I imagine it could spend all its time waiting for the SP's while filling the years building whatever is left (spaceship parts). Just a guess, but it's the only thing I can think of that might cause the AI to act in this way. :confused:

In all my games of CIV V I've never won quite like this...

Me: Babylon, Continents, Standard size and time.

Persia had become a super runaway since around 1500AD killing 4 of the other players, and as the AI has unlimited :) and with Persias UA, thats not good for me.

By the late 1800, he was producing over 1300GPT!!! :mischief:

Yet I still won by space in 1960... :mischief: Can't believe I did it. I was expecting to lose to Darious spaceship any turn... But here is the weird thing...

According to the victory screen, Darious had built every spacship part, some thirty turns or so before I built my last one. Also, he built the UN, and still didn't win the vote (7/10) despite having in excess of 1000 gpt to bribe the CSs...

WTF!? :confused:

Is this proof the AI doesn't know how to win!? I can't believe that, especially the spaceship parts!

It happens when the AI has a great people unit parked in its capital and can't move the spaceship parts in.

It happens when the AI has a great people unit parked in its capital and can't move the spaceship parts in.

Pretty sure they fixed most issues like this, but if you reproduce one, where a runaway on a decent difficulty goes listless and does nothing to finish the game, I'd keep the save and send it to Firaxis.

Personally without seeing the save, I just think it's the Emperor AI that currently goes thru the tech tree at a fairly slow pace leading to human players having a lot of time. It's probably even slower than it was before since now it spends it's gold a lot more on Units and signs fewer RAs.

I'm afraid I no longer have the save :(

I didn't notice a GP in the capital, though I suppose it is quite possible.

Top Bottom